JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You might also find the "How To Build An AR15" series at Brownells worth checking out too... it's where I went, and the only reason I'n not saying Successful Build yet is that I still have staking or Loctiting and test-firing to do.

This might be of some help too.

I sat in my living room hitting the play button, then pause, then play, then pause, etc, etc, etc.......

Excellent point, @AMT --I'm personally an RTFM Learner myself, but some people process data better from observation than text.

Not a knock, just saying people have different learning styles and it's good to have options that cover a broader range of them. :) (Part of why my WWII History lesson plans if I get my professorship include a mix of text, lecture, movie/wargame and range/hands-on...)

If you can change a tire you can build an AR. :)
Hah you sure about that?
Don't even need to be able to do that--if you can handle a hammer, a couple wrenches, a screwdriver, some Allen wrenches and punches you can do it.

There are some other tools that are really nice to have, but if you know what you're doing you can knock the lower together without even having to get out of bed. :)

My lower build video would be 3 hours long, 2 episodes and rated R for obscene language.

Episode 1.) "How to scratch the living hell out of a brand new lower."
Episode 2.) "How to launch small springs into the black vortex of space."

In the end it worked out fine but not my best work.
Thankfully I had an extra lower parts kit handy to replace launched springs from.

My lower build video would be 3 hours long, 2 episodes and rated R for obscene language.

Episode 1.) "How to scratch the living hell out of a brand new lower."
Episode 2.) "How to launch small springs into the black vortex of space."

In the end it worked out fine but not my best work.
Thankfully I had an extra lower parts kit handy to replace launched springs from.
You need a Sproing Bag. It's really just any large clear plastic bag. I've found bags that new shirts or pants come in to be ideal. Put the gun or receiver in the bag with the open end down and hold it over a box or carpeted bench while you prepare to send the spring or other froggy part into orbit. If anything goes Sproing it will either stay in the bag or drop to the bench or box right in front of you. Unlike that 1911 end cap that I could tell you about. Can't show it to you, but I can tell you all about it...

A small knife helps prevent some of the small springs from launching into the void of nowhere. Doing it in a room that has nothing in it (my brain is like that a lot) helps too.

Even so, find a way to do it so its controlled (large bin, large bag, etc).

Spring and roll pin tool kt = $10 on EBay. Wished I had it on my first build. Wasn't gonna do another without it.

I launched several springs from various things in my garage and even with all the clutter I've been fortunate enough to track them down. However, when I attempted to change the recoil spring of my 1911 in the field, that's where the barrel bushing wound up... in the field. Nice stainless bushing from a 2pc guide rod set. Silly me. :rolleyes:

@bbbass That's why the 1911 bushing was originally designed to turn both ways, one to release the spring load and the other for bushing removal. :)

Mine is a bugger. So much easier to install the spring with the bushing installed. Full length guide rod. Armory tools no worky. Tried to depress the plug with a punch or screwdriver point, then SPROIIING. Fly away, fly away, little bird. :rolleyes:

Nice to have a 'puter at your workbench. That way you can do a "watch and build step by step" kinda thing. My memory is shot so this keeps me from having to go back and forth.

After my first build I thought I had it down. Some, not all... I had to go back and watch again for my next build about a year later.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top