JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a 5' (LOP 12.5") 65 yo woman returning to shooting after 35 years away. My bundle of firearms is almost complete. In terms of long guns, I have a 280.AI for high end (as high as I need) a .223 for varmint, .22 Mag for plinking, and a 590P shotgun for home defense. (Double barrel .20 not to be decided on yet) Right now I need the impossible. I am driven into the ground running around and around trying to decide, help me. I need a sub 7lb, 12.5 " length of pull, preferably 6.5 PRC, smooth reliable action, durable deer rifle. I would prefer adjustable cheek, 20 MOA rail that will cost me less than 2000. The Savage 110 Carbon Tactical would be OK if anyone I have spoken to respected it, but no one does. The Tikka Tx3 Compact Lite would be OK with a stock trade out if I could find one that I could just drop the barreled action in...but I havent found one for the 6.5 PRC. (Cheap enough I could rebarrel with a Proof Carbon barrel). Optimums are always what I drive for and precision is important to me but bringing home a deer is too. I am starting to lose sleep over this.

Cant go wrong with a Savage 110, no matter what the gunstore commandos tell ya, real world experience with Savage says otherwise!
As to the Tikka, your looking at a major step up in build quality, fit and finish, but only a slight increase in accuracy potential, which is all on you!
If your really looking to build, and it sounds like you might be, SARCO has the Dumoulin Mauser 98 actions for sale, last check they were still available, and they are a stunning build when done!

Cant go wrong with a Savage 110, no matter what the gunstore commandos tell ya, real world experience with Savage says otherwise!
As to the Tikka, your looking at a major step up in build quality, fit and finish, but only a slight increase in accuracy potential, which is all on you!
If your really looking to build, and it sounds like you might be, SARCO has the Dumoulin Mauser 98 actions for sale, last check they were still available, and they are a stunning build when done!
I think you nailed it.

I think you nailed it.
Yup, I thought so, too. The guy I went bear hunting with uses a 6.5 PRC. Didn't catch the model, but it was a $2000 rifle. He takes it out to 1k yards, and has used it for some real monster elk, along with everything else. He is also a pretty small guy, about 5-3. He might use the 13.5 standard LOP, though.

Thanks, you tipped me over and I bought the Savage 110 ultralight in 6.5 PRC and found some Hornady and even one box of Berger ammo for it.

I have been around and owned Savage rifles since my dad built his 30-06 on a 110DL barreled action in the mid 60's they have always been more accurate then I can shoot and I have never had one that failed due to parts breakage. I have built a custom benchrest/varmint rifle from a MKII FVT and I am in the slow process of building a .35Whelen from a model 111

My son my ex son in law both hunt with model 111's in 30-06.

Savage model 12's set records in some of the long range shooting competitions.

Neighbor has one of the nice Christensen CF barreled rifles for long distance hunting. His is in .300 magnum something (can't remember if it is WSM - I think it is). He really seems to like it. I think they make them in 6.5 PRC too?

Of course, these are not inexpensive, but they are light.

And then buy a compact stock.

Eric is good people.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into the mix, and I realize tarsier already got her gun (congrats, btw!), but I just got the announcement yesterday.
......the 7mm PRC has been released for sale.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into the mix, and I realize tarsier already got her gun (congrats, btw!), but I just got the announcement yesterday.
......the 7mm PRC has been released for sale.

Definitely an awesome cartridge that may put the 7mm RM in retirement. IMO too much for a smaller lightweight rifle and personally I'd probably go with something smaller than the 6.5 PRC. IMO that's a job for the 7-08 or even the 6.5CM, but I'm not the one shelling out the cash.

I'll add with my recent first time foray into the Savage world, that there is a big difference between the base models and the higher end ones. Of the two rifles I purchased, a 110 Tactical Desert in 6.5 CM and a 110 Timberline in 280 AI that the extra money in the Timberline was well spent.

Time will tell if one is more accurate than the other, but the factory blueprinted Timberline is far smoother in operation. Nope, nowhere near the smoothness of a Tikka, but a long ways away from the bolt drag reputation,.

I'll add with my recent first time foray into the Savage world, that there is a big difference between the base models and the higher end ones. Of the two rifles I purchased, a 110 Tactical Desert in 6.5 CM and a 110 Timberline in 280 AI that the extra money in the Timberline was well spent.

Time will tell if one is more accurate than the other, but the factory blueprinted Timberline is far smoother in operation. Nope, nowhere near the smoothness of a Tikka, but a long ways away from the bolt drag reputation,.
NICE!
cant wait to hear how they run, be sure to share the results both good and not so good!

I my self just pulled out one of the last Dumoulin Mausers I stocked up on for a Scout/Guide build, .......................in .500 Jeffery! :)
Going to pattern it after my Ruger Hawkeye Guides, same type stock and stepped and banded barrel, and similar sights to their Gunsite Scout series, though maybe with one of @Velzey s favored Holland Brake, or my old fav. Big Bubba Brake! Just something about that big .500 that really turns my crank, thinking a Scout/Guide in that caliber should be real nice next trip to Alaska, as well as for those big Colorado Grizzlies!
1656821842434.png

NICE!
cant wait to hear how they run, be sure to share the results both good and not so good!

I my self just pulled out one of the last Dumoulin Mausers I stocked up on for a Scout/Guide build, .......................in .500 Jeffery! :)
Going to pattern it after my Ruger Hawkeye Guides, same type stock and stepped and banded barrel, and similar sights to their Gunsite Scout series, though maybe with one of @Velzey s favored Holland Brake, or my old fav. Big Bubba Brake! Just something about that big .500 that really turns my crank, thinking a Scout/Guide in that caliber should be real nice next trip to Alaska, as well as for those big Colorado Grizzlies!
View attachment 1233404
Definitely will do! For the Desert Tactical I'm going to try some Prussian blue to identify high spots to see if I can get it at least as good as the Timberline. There are also a TON of aftermarket parts for the bolt including different diameter sheaths that might be useful. I've installed improved extractors and springs.

One of the best aspects is the design that lets you work on almost every part without the assistance of a gunsmith or at least machining tools and skills and that includes barrel swaps. It's basically the AR-15 of the bolt world (along with the very similar Ruger American).

If you are looking for prestige look elsewhere. If you are looking to put the hole where it needs to be with less money so you can spend more on optics and ammo it's your huckleberry.

I'm really excited to see how your 500 Jeffery turns out! Should be awesome!

I still think its sad that Savage does not chamber any of its rifles for their namesake cartridges.
Regardless of how big or small the sales of such chamberings would be, it just seems like they should do it on principal.
....doesn't it?
I do like the idea of a Tikka T3 in 7mm-08, though, but I wouldn't mind a light, compact Savage turnbolt in .250, either.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top