JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I the scheme of things this is pretty small; but . . .

I have mixed up some Ranger T ammo. I have mixed up about 100 rounds of 124 GR and 147 GR 9mm :s0112: and don't know which is which.

Is there any way to figure out which is which. I don't have a gram scale.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ed

I'm a bit of a "McGuyver" when it comes to problems like this. Make a simple "balance beam scale" using a piece of coat hanger wire, cut from the bottom of a hangar (as long as the hanger is wide). Support it in the middle with heavy sewing thread or fish line. On each end make some "pans" out of pop bottle caps and support them with three pieces of the same material you used to support the balance beam. Balance the "rig" by moving the supported "pan" that sags toward the middle until the beam hangs somewhat level. With your jury rigged balance beam scale, put an unknown bullet on each pan. You will have one end heavier or they will be the same. If heavier, mark that bullet "147" with a sharpie and the other "124". remove one and substitute another. If the same, you have another of the bullets that weighs the same as your marked sample.

If both read the same at the first attempt, just change bullets on one end of the scale until you have one that hangs lower than the other. and mark the heavier one "147". You can then play the "heavier/lighter" game until you've sorted the entire amount.

I know this sounds "Mickey Mouse" but it's a method that's been used for centuries and it's certainly accurate enough to discern the 20 grain difference between the rounds. I wouldn't use it to measure powder if reloading though.

It will take some patience. If that's lacking then just go to the local "Head Shop" and buy one of those cheap digital scales for under $20.

I just didn't know they'd been making pop bottle caps for centuries, LOL. I've done the similar thing, but just bent the ends of the wire into a flatish U that a bullet couldn't drop through, but would nest in. Same principle though.

I just didn't know they'd been making pop bottle caps for centuries, LOL. I've done the similar thing, but just bent the ends of the wire into a flatish U that a bullet couldn't drop through, but would nest in. Same principle though.

If they quit making bottle caps I doubt there will be any "coat hangars" either. That will be the real tragedy because I can't count the number of times a piece of coat hanger has been the solution to dozens of problems;)

For that matter "Duck Tape" too. Between coat hangers and Duck Tape what CAN't one fix?

If they quit making bottle caps I doubt there will be any "coat hangars" either. That will be the real tragedy because I can't count the number of times a piece of coat hanger has been the solution to dozens of problems;)

For that matter "Duck Tape" too. Between coat hangers and Duck Tape what CAN't one fix?

Yep. You can't beat duck tape. :)

duc.jpg

Are those two bullets identical looking? Gotta think there is enough difference in the bullet tips or OAL that you'de be able to visually tell the difference.

Ok even if the hollow points are identical and they are seated to the same OAL, yiou should be able to line them all up and see if you can spot the base of the bullets in the cases maybe.......the deaper seatred would be the heavier bullet assuming the OAL is the same on them all.

Wouldn't hurt to have some duct tape too. You can upholster your furniture with it. :)

Du.jpg

Your "emphasis" on duct probably was to point out a spelling error on my part.

In reality, the original "tape" was called DUCK after the cloth it was made out of. The "Duct" was added years later after the mechanical contractors started using it.

Duck or Duct

Like the couch. Could have used one like it in my College days. Definitely resistant to spilled beer and "other" fluids.;)

Are those two bullets identical looking? Gotta think there is enough difference in the bullet tips or OAL that you'de be able to visually tell the difference.

Ok even if the hollow points are identical and they are seated to the same OAL, yiou should be able to line them all up and see if you can spot the base of the bullets in the cases maybe.......the deaper seatred would be the heavier bullet assuming the OAL is the same on them all.

What's the fun of that? No gadgets to improvise, takes a challenging task and makes it too easy:)

Your "emphasis" on duct probably was to point out a spelling error on my part.

In reality, the original "tape" was called DUCK after the cloth it was made out of. The "Duct" was added years later after the mechanical contractors started using it.

Duck or Duct

Like the couch. Could have used one like it in my College days. Definitely resistant to spilled beer and "other" fluids.;)

duckt-1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads