JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have seen some interesting things about this caliber and of course the company needs no introduction. I am talking about the 6.5-300 wby mag. Now Weatherby is going to be introducing new rifles and some will have this caliber for an option. Is it worth it at around $3.30 per round? How about the price tag for a Mark V Weatherby?

Here is a picture of one.
FF47169D-66B1-4875-9702-13FF67A2D6FE.jpeg
The MSRP as of now is about $2800 for the outfitter and $3300 for the outfitter range certified sub moa. What are your thoughts about it?

Look at the fps, bc, drop and ft/lbs of energy.

http://www.weatherby.com/media/weatherby/ballistics.pdf

Here is the lineup on their website.
Weatherby | Search results for: '6.5-300'

That ought to have a fairly short barrel life. I am a fan of the 6,5x55 and 6.5-06 but to me that is way too much of a good thing.

I miss the days of rifles having blued steel and wood stocks...
No really into synthetic stocks or camouflage items...good thing I do not work for a rifle or hunting apparel company....:D

But if the rifle has features that you like and chambered in a cartridge that provides a advantage for how and where you hunt...then if you have the coin...why not buy it?
Andy

I might consider one if it were to come out in a vanguard but that is an awful big might as I don't shoot what I already have enough.

I miss the days of rifles having blued steel and wood stocks...
No really into synthetic stocks or camouflage items...good thing I do not work for a rifle or hunting apparel company....:D

But if the rifle has features that you like and chambered in a cartridge that provides a advantage for how and where you hunt...then if you have the coin...why not buy it?
Andy
I like your reasoning and agree that you should just go ahead and buy it if you like it.

The cartridge is awesome and I'm sure the rifle is great, but besides the "bragging rights", I don't see much desire to own one.
The 6.5-300 is a crazy fast round, but I would be more inclined to do a 26 Nosler and build a gun. Three grand for a rifle isn't way out of line, but it's way out of the budget I'd set up for one (not that I do budgets very well, but you get the gist). Then the price of a scope fitting for a rifle like this. Then the crazy price on Weatherby ammo and brass...

So, besides the normal whining about $$$, it would be pretty flippin cool.

If it was me, I would buy it, shoot it, reload some ammo to shoot a little more, then it would sit...

So, besides the normal whining about $$$, it would be pretty flippin cool.

If it was me, I would buy it, shoot it, reload some ammo to shoot a little more, then it would sit...
See for me it seems like they are making it for the long range bragging rights crowd and everyone that thinks that dinosaurs still walk around the earth. :rolleyes:o_O:D

I also wonder about pricing and availability of ammo and components...As mentioned above by others.
Plus , is the new cartridge really doing anything that a older well established cartridge isn't?
Not knocking the rifle or cartridge ... just asking 'cause I don't know anything about it.
I wouldn't want to get stuck with a "dud" or dead end cartridge that no one really likes or has no trade in value....
Just wondering after my first thoughts....
No meant as a slam to the OP , rifle or cartridge....
Andy

I like the idea of new developments with firearms and ammunition.

Mea Culpa: thinking about and trying to understand most of the new firearms and equipment makes my head hurt (like calculus....) :confused:

I'm way behind the power curve :oops:

My opinion; before considering a purchase of any new hunting rifle over $700.00; they must have a nice walnut stock, a controlled feed, a muzzle/recoil compensator, and a sturdy set of iron sights.....probably dreaming..:D

Surprise, Surprise, I pretty much have to agree with Andy. As to the question of a Wood Stock, I would not be surprised if the Weatherby folks don't offer one as an option. I'd guess that it would be a pretty pricey option but an option none the less. Just finding the right piece of Wood for such a caliber would be costly 'cause it ain't gonna be a piece of used pallet wood. But, adding another Grand or Grand and a half wouldn't really be too pricey considering the basic Quality of a Weatherby. While I haven't seen one recenly, I know that they used to be an American Made, Holland & Holland grade Rifle.

Having said All that, I do have to question if that caliber will ever really get off the ground. Especially, with the .338 Lapua already being used by many for the Long Range work. It too is Priced way out of my pocket book.

If you like it then go for it.:)

Is it worth it at around $3.30 per round?

NOPE!! Plus the cost of the rifle. IMHO not worth it in any way shape or form. If and that is a big if I was going to drop that kinda cash on a rifle. I would buy a Sako chambered in something that I could afford to shoot on a regular basis. If you are paying that much for ammo how often are you going to shoot it.

Now if you reload then it might be a different story but I don't and don't have any plans to do so for awhile.

One of the things I Forgot to mention is that this sort of a Rifle is much like a Very Fine Sports Car, if you can afford it then you can also afford to "Feed" it so the price of ammunition really isn't a factor. But then there are those people who drive Foreign Sports Cars without feeling that they have to purchase up-to-date License Tabs! Not just a couple of months expired, but TWO plus years! That's a well earned Ticket.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why not? Saves money, well, after you recoup the price of the equipment, and not to mention just one more thing to fill up your day?:D

Thats exactly why I am waiting. I don't have the time to dedicate to it. Hopefully things will slow down a little in the next year or so and I can think about it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews