JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I collect old oil lamps. So we always have a light source. What I learned a long time ago is that they burn kerosene much better. Aladen lamps where designed to burn kerosene. So save alot of money and buy straight kerosene. If you are going to store kero for shtf keeping it in sealed jugs is a must. Kero that is contaminated with water will ruin the wick and make your lamp usless and also your kero. Just our northwest huminity will ruin your kero. I also keep wood strike anywhere matches (6 boxs) in zip lock bags. Opened a box that was 6 years old last summer, instant fire on every match.

I have two oil lamps for emergency lighting, butane cook tops for cooking, batteries and a 2000 watt inverter to run what needs to run, a gasoline generator in the RV that runs off the RV fuel tank (40 gallons).

Realized the need for lamps last year during a three day power outage. They paid for themselves. Cheap at BiMart.

Kerosene by the gallon paid 4 bucks yesterday. Wicks will last a long time. Until you learn how to properly trim the wick plan on using up several fairly quickly. I think the one's with a 3/4 in wide wick will last about 24 hours on one quart of kero. As to where to get lamps check out the internet. Stay away form the deco lamps, they are junk. I get mine from yardsales, couple bucks each. They are also 50 plus years old. If the burner is junk you can order a new one off the net. As for the chimmey don't panic, new ones on the net for 9 to 20 bucks. As to the tall chimmey or short chimmy its you choice. I like the tall ones, more cool to look at, still smoken hot after a few minutes run time.
I get mine at the Hay's Oil bulk plant in Grants Pass. Price is still way cheaper then buying lamp oil at your local store, Bi Mart was 16 bucks for 2 quarts.
To clean out the inside of an old lamp get yourself a can of the nastest carb cleaner you can get and spray it inside the lamp, shake it around, dump it out and repeat if needed. Dry the inside out very good before you put kero in it. Do not store your lamps with kero in them, it evaporates a leaves a scummy film on the inside of the lamp. The kero on the wick evaporates and I haven't any problems with the wicks going bad. Got one of my lamps going on the table now, why? Cuz I can.

I store all matches in USGI ammo cans with dessicant. Solar battery charging and LEDs are a lot cleaner light source but I do have a lot of kerosene and lamps, plus wicks I stocked up on long ago

I have lamps with wicks that are 30-40 yrs old that are just fine. Kids, pets, people as clumsy as me, keep them high and out of reach! Bring in the fire extinguishers and place them across the room. NOT under the lamps! These days it is recommended to have a carbon monoxide dector also.

I was just given an Aladdin Hurricane lamp by a family member. I've admired the bright, silent light given off by this lamp since I was a youngster.

There is NO COMPARISON to the light output of a traditional, wick style kerosene lamp and a mantle style Aladdin.

I plan on gathering a small stock of spare mantles, a few gallons of fuel and perhaps another lamp in the coming months.

The Aladdin lamp we have puts out great light and heat. We burn lamp oil in ours. I also have a Feuerhand hurricane lantern. While I like playing around with this lantern, it doesn't put out nearly the light the Aladdin does and produces a lot more smell.

Why not do dual duty?

I use a kero heater that also serves as a light source. For a smaller light source.....Colman Lanters. But, I've also thought about Kero lamps. The downside as I see it.........the black soot that will cling to your home's white walls. Of course it's for an EMERGENCY but still.........

Aloha, Mark

Forgot earlier, none of my lamps have reflectors so I rig the shiny pie tins that store bought pies come in behind them. I just clamp the rim in a woodworking clamp so the clamp sits flat behind the lamp. Significantly increases the usable light where you need it. BTW I'm with the OP, I love these old lamps and the warm, yellow light that they throw!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top