JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

WKYC
Ashtabula County Judge Tells Ohio Residents to "Arm themselves"
April 9, 2010

JEFFERSON -- In the ongoing financial crisis in Ashtabula County, the Sheriff's Department has been cut from 112 to 49 deputies. With deputies assigned to transport prisoners, serve warrants and other duties, only one patrol car is assigned to patrol the entire county of 720 square miles.

"I did the best with what they (the county commissioners) gave me. If it wasn't enough, don't blame me, don't blame this department," said Sheriff Billy Johnson.

Johnson said he is suing the commissioners to get a determination of whether he should use his limited budget to carry out obligations defined by law or put more patrol cars on the streets.

"I just can't do it anymore," he said. "I have to have the court explain to the commissioners and to me what my statutory duties are."

The Ashtabula County Jail has confined as many as 140 prisoners. It now houses only 30 because of reductions in the staff of corrections officers.

All told, 700 accused criminals are on a waiting list to serve time in the jail.

Are there dangerous people free among the 700 who cannot be locked up?

"There probably are," Sheriff Johnson said, "but I'm telling you, any known violent criminal, we're housing them. We've got murderers in there."

Ashtabula County is the largest county in Ohio by land area.

Ashtabula County Common Pleas Judge Alfred Mackey was asked what residents should do to protect themselves and their families with the severe cutback in law enforcement.

"Arm themselves," the judge said. "Be very careful, be vigilant, get in touch with your neighbors, because we're going to have to look after each other."

Ashtabula County gun dealers and firearms instructors tell WKYC their business has really picked up since the Sheriff's Department cutbacks began some months ago.

"That's exactly why they are coming, so that they can protect themselves," says Tracy Williams, a certified firearms instructor in Jefferson. "They don't feel that they are protected. They want to be able to protect themselves."

Williams says interest in his classes has doubled recently, and many of those coming are people who he would not normally expect to have interest in obtaining a concealed carry permit.

"And as far as him (Judge Mackey) telling you to arm yourselves and protect yourselves, you don't have any other option," Williams told WKYC. "We don't have the law enforcement out here to handle it right now..."

That doesn't surprise me. My fiance's family all live in Ohio and when we were there last winter we were watching the news and it was the same thing in a city outside Columbus. They Police Chief went on the news and said "we have cut our Officers in half, we've let a lot of criminals out of jail, and we don't have the ability to patrol how we need to. You better arm your familes, I'm arming mine."

And to be honest this might not be a bad thing. If the citizens can arm themselves, get trained, and work together to create a safe city/county then that would speak volumes for our 2nd amendment rights.
You can take your laws, your gun free zones, your registrations, and shove them. All you need to good people to use their god given right to scare the bad guys straight.

"An armed society is a polite sociey. Manners are always good when one may have to back up his actions with his life"

This is good stuff actually....if more people arm themselves, get trained and educated on firearms and "band together" as neighbors...well heck, we might just find some American Spirit in there by happenstance!

No problem here, I am pretty sure they have plenty of state cops, city cops, highway patrol, FBI, ATF, ect to pick up the slack...

and why can't they do 'tent jails' like in Pheonix....???

Yeah the thing that really erked me was that they have 700 people "waiting" for a jail cell. That's free reign to do whatever they want. If you do any kind of small crimes they hold you, you go free.

This is a strong message that America needs to forget the gun bills and figure out their criminal system. It's a revolving door at best. And we don't have enough people, jails, money, or resources to give fit punishment for people who commit crimes or now a days most are just career criminals.

I've never understood why we would send someone to jail for life, why just just kill them? Why sit someone in a cage until they die? Just end them, it will save billions of dollars, open up the jails, and teach people TO NOT COMMIT CRIMES!!! Wow what an idea.

I don't know why they don't just follow Oregon's lead and pass a massive tax increase instead of cutting any state expenses. Foolish people!

You just get the Unions to fund a media campaign of lies, that the children will suffer, there will be no police or fire protection and all the prisoners will be on the streets. Amazing.....big tax increase passes.:)

I don't know why they don't just follow Oregon's lead and pass a massive tax increase instead of cutting any state expenses. Foolish people!

You just get the Unions to fund a media campaign of lies, that the children will suffer, there will be no police or fire protection and all the prisoners will be on the streets. Amazing.....big tax increase passes.:)

+1 :s0155:

Yeah, woohoo for big tax hikes!

Oh but wait, Oregon jacks taxes up and somehow we still cut everything from schools, and law enforcement.....Weird.

Anybody here from Corbett?
A friend's wife works for their school district and they are lumping in 3 different grades together in classes because they have no money. My Mom works for Reynolds SD and they had to pretty much layoff every teacher they hired for the last two years.
But you still get taxed for it!!!

So wait.......Where did the money go?

You know that's right.
My step-dad is on pers retirement and his friends all give him crap for it. I think he paid his dues for sure. But it's no different than politics. I don't see why members of congress and the senate get a retirement of like 15k a month and unlimited health care, etc.

The first duty of government is to protect the citizens. Police, military...

But no, we have such a huge financial drain from being a welfare state and from forming huge bureaucracies which are sacred that we can't cut our budget except by doing away with the fundamentals.

My Dad, 93, tells me that during the Great Depression, Florida where he lived had to lay off all state police. He said that most municipal police departments either closed or got down to one or two people, and that his county let all sheriff's deputies go and all that was left was the sheriff.

During the Great Depression the unemployment rate hit about 25%. If we take the official numbers today and add the underemployed and terminally discouraged, the Great Lakes area is already there.

During the Great Depression there wasn't yet any unemployment insurance, welfare, food stamps, medicaid, social security income, etc. etc. People had to fend. A far greater percentage of the population lived on small farms to make that possible. There was no "entitlement" mentality.

Just watch what happens when state budgets get so bad that they can't pay for welfare or food stamps or low income housing.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top