Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

OHAUS 10-10

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ThunderStruck, Jul 13, 2013.

1. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Southern Oregon Member

Hi,
    I went to the cave to reload some 40's on my trusty 10-10 only to find out that it weighs light on lower settings (5.0gn is really 10gns).

It is right on at 500gn with supplied weight. I have has this scale for 20 + years with thousands of loads and can't remember dropping or any abuse.

I know something has changed so it needs it to be recalibrated and need I to know if anyone calibrates the Ohaus 10-10 or does it need to go back to Ohaus.

I am back to my digital scale until I get Ohaus fixed, I am heading to Ohaus web sight...

Thanks.
    Ed

2. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

I've found that scales that have any dirt on them can frequently give irregular readings, bust out your canned air and blow it off and try again. Make sure you attack the leveling bearings. Also, if you had a fan on while checking it, this can cause disruption as well.

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  3. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

^^^This

I would also consider using some brake-kleen or laquer thinner on a q-tip to clean the bearings first. Don't overlook ALL the bearings. Clean the agate bearings and then clean the pivot points on the pan support "bail" as well as the support hook.

If it pivots at all during the weighing process, make sure it has no dirt or dust on it.

Something else to consider. When using only the "Zero" and the large weight supplied to check a scale you know it's accurate at only TWO points. Nothing, and full value weight. I prefer using check weights and using a combination that's closest to the charge weight I'll be measuring, check the scale accuracy in that portion of the scales settings. Sometimes, if I have check weights that equal the exact charge weight I'll just put them on the scale pan and zero the scale at that weight. Your scale will then function almost exactly like a labratory balance that has two pans with accuracy limited only to the amount of friction at bearings and pivot points.

4. ThunderStruck

Thanks for help,
    will check and clean again.
    Ed

5. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

You can also use your digital scale as a comparative check weight, though it won't be as accurate as an actual check weight. Use your Ohaus pan and zero on both, then step through weights on the digital and then on the Ohaus. See if it at least comes close.

Of course, this is after carefully cleaning the Ohaus bearings. Also use a magnifier to check the pivots and make sure they're clear of any detrius.

elsie

6. ThunderStruck

Thanks for the feedback.
    I found the problem, it was one of the V-block at balance point. There was a hair line crack in the V-block
    that would hang up at lower weight then once the weight was past the crack would read ok.
    I replaced the V-block an everything is back to normal.
    Thanks again,
    Ed