JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The one, the only, the original OMEGA MAN starring Charlton Heston!!!!

Brutus Out

"Omega Man" was just another adaptation of the sci-fi novel "I am Legend". The Vincent Price "Last Man on Earth" was the first movie to adapt that novel for a film. The third and latest adaptation of this story was Will Smith's 2007 movie "I am Legend", which was the only movie to actually use the title of the novel.

"I am Legend" was published as a book in 1954. It's author, Richard Matheson, actually did also write a screenplay that adapted the novel to film. However, it was considered to be too graphic and violent by Hollywood executives , and they originally past on making a film based on it.

His 1956 Novel "The Shrinking Man" fared better with Hollywood, and was made into the 1957 Sci-Fi feature movie "The Incredible Shrinking Man".

Eventually a screenplay was approved to adapt "I am Legend" in 1964, with Vincent Price starring. However, there was a lot of censorship in it to eliminate the more extreme gore and violence from the story.

Richard Matheson also liked to write Westerns, and he ended up writing a total of 8 episodes for the early TV Western programs Cheyenne, Have Gun – Will Travel, and Lawman. The 60's TV show what he wrote the most for was "The Twilight Zone". He wrote a total of 12 stories for that program, including the episode "Nightmare at 20,000 ft", which was the first big break in Television for William Shatner, who went on to star in Star Trek 3 years later.

Another interesting fact about this story is that director George A. Romero acknowledged that its 1964 adaptation, "The Last Man on Earth", was his inspiration for this first successful film: the groundbreaking "Night of the Living Dead" (1968)

49425.jpg

Matheson past away 3 years ago, at the age of 97, and was still living in his home at the time of his passing:

richard-matheson.jpg

Matheson unfortunately was never able to get Hollywood interested in making a film based on his novel about the life of Wild Bill Hickok:

TMMWBHK1996.jpg

Thanks for your post Lance.
Matheson was a great writer.
He also wrote a novel about his WWII experiences called The beardless Warriors .
It takes place during the Battle of the Bulge , it is an excellent read.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads