JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Avett Brothers cancel sold-out Troutdale show after man enters venue with gun

Long story short:

Man walks into concert, sets off metal detector, says he is off-duty LEO, shows badge and walks away. Security cannot find him. Concert canceled.

This is how afraid the public has become of simple possession of guns in general.

We (including LEOs) are now trained to be afraid of guns and treat the simple presence of a firearm as a threat in and of itself.

How does security let him "slip away into the crowd"? The oregonian makes this guy sound like a villan
If you pay any attention to most security people, and I say most, not all, it is very easily understood how they can let someone slip away. Most are so under trained and they themselves are unarmed so do you really think they are going to take on someone with a gun?

They just hire your average person off the street, give them a T-shirt that says, "security" and have them glance into handbags and watch for the red light to go off on the detector portal....

I've lost count how many times I've gotten past the typical ametuers they hire to man security check-points with "heavy metal" of one sort of another. :rolleyes:

"obvious threat" ??? You weren't there yet you are oh so quick to judge and convict the gun bearer as someone who will kill everyone he can simply because he has a gun.

Nice way to add spin to your article, Mr. Rogoway, without having been there or in possession of ANY FACTS.

Avett Brothers cancel sold-out Troutdale show after man enters venue with gun

Long story short:

Man walks into concert, sets off metal detector, says he is off-duty LEO, shows badge and walks away. Security cannot find him. Concert canceled.

This is how afraid the public has become of simple possession of guns in general.

We (including LEOs) are now trained to be afraid of guns and treat the simple presence of a firearm as a threat in and of itself.

If he had a rifle It would be concerning .this new common sense hysteria is redicules

I just came back from California. From PDX, shoes off no belt, I got an extra frisk outside of the nudie chamber. On the way back at the TSA I was rushed. I actually forgot to take off my thick leather gun belt with a giant metal buckle and no second look or mean stare from TSA. How did the million dollar nudie chamber miss that?

Security is a nice idea but that's it. Unarmed security is supposed to stop and armed bad guy with bad guy intentions, how? Why do you need security to yell, he's got a gun, since when it is exposed everyone will be yelling that?

...Security is a nice idea but that's it. Unarmed security is supposed to stop and armed bad guy with bad guy intentions, how? Why do you need security to yell, he's got a gun, since when it is exposed everyone will be yelling that?

This type of security just gives the "illusion" of safety, something which many in the masses buy into. At a concert venue or sports event, more likely to stop folks from bringing in there own booze and snacks as well, so they have to buy at the venue.

A slight step up from the "gun free zone" type signs at some businesses...

How does security let him "slip away into the crowd"? The oregonian makes this guy sound like a villan
Some are more paranoid than others. Security guard 1 with metal detector stops the Leo who presents his badge and both are satisfied.
The security officer in charge, we'll call him Barney, hears that an armed patron was detected, but released. Barney flips out. Legal concealed carry citizens and armed Leo's must be prevented from hearing music.
They search for the perp, but he looks like everyone else. They don't have a name to call him back, so Barney escalates now that they have an obviously nefarious person hiding in plain sight, everyone is a suspect, despite only the one found. The obvious answer to Barney's dilemma is to clear the "secure" area and recheck all attendees, like tsa would do. But Barney is a hopped up rent-a-cop with delussions of grandeur. He assumes complete command over the situation by evacuating all patrons. There by protecing the stage and security area while sending everyone Barney's job it is to keep safe out into the dangerous unsecured world. Everything the stage and auditorium exists for is thwarted by an over zealous Barney.

Mayberry explains everything.

"obvious threat" ??? You weren't there yet you are oh so quick to judge and convict the gun bearer as someone who will kill everyone he can simply because he has a gun.

Nice way to add spin to your article, Mr. Rogoway, without having been there or in possession of ANY FACTS.

The oregonian that signs you up for paper delivery without your knowledge and then sends you a bill and then harasses you to pay the bill because they cant stand on their own "high quality" journalist stories.

Last Edited:
Some of the comments are priceless. Wonder why they didn't just PA the "out of state cop" before cancelling the performance?

Ahhh the democrats ideology ....do you feel safer now......or do you see the lack of sensibility and common sense so retarded it scares the crap out of you knowing these people will do anything to take full control of our country ANYTHING!

This type of security just gives the "illusion" of safety, something which many in the masses buy into. At a concert venue or sports event, more likely to stop folks from bringing in there own booze and snacks as well, so they have to buy at the venue.

A slight step up from the "gun free zone" type signs at some businesses...

"Security Theater" gives people the illusion of security, which can be harmful when there is a real threat.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top