Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Oh Henry!!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Sabertooth, May 13, 2015.

1. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

Looking at a Henry Big Boy in .44 mag. Any one got some first hand information?
    Already have a S&W 629, .44 mag with 6 in. barrel an scope, so already have ammo.
    The Henry also comes in .357 an 44-40. Wife says I have to make a choice. :(

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

mjbskwim likes this.
  3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Then choose them ALL! :D

4. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I can't help with your decision on caliber because you already have some incentive to get it in .44 but I can give you my experience with it in general.

I recently sold a Winchester Trapper in .357 to buy a Henry in .357. I never really liked the Winchester as the length of pull was too short and it was always finicky with ammo even after may years of use and several polishings and smoothing of the internals was I finally able to get it to cycle satisfactorily.

Regardless I am glad I did it. The Henry fits me much better and while heavier it balances well. The fit and finish is as good (or better) than some 'higher end' guns out there and the action out of the box was as smooth as glass. The trigger is excellent, breaks clean at about 5 lbs with no takeup. It feels more like a good revolver trigger that had a trigger job done on it.

The first few magfulls of ammo had a little 'hitch in the giddiup' but it cleared quickly and cycled anything equally - HP, RN or FP bullets. I recently found a few .38s and they ran as smoothly as the longer .357s. I attribute the initial hangups due to not cleaning it prior to shooting other than a shot of Rem-Oil and a wipedown.

Accuracy seems like it seems like it is going to be excellent BUT I only have the crappy stock buckhorns on it right now and am planning on ordering a Williams receiver sight for it soon. The Williams is a fantastic sight and they live on all my lever guns. I say crappy stock buckhorns because they (like most barrel mounted 'typical' 'U' groove elevator type sights) do NOT give a very good sight picture. I took the blade out and drilled a 3/32" hole in the center to create a 'Poor man's Peep Sight' but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It certainly improved the sight picture but it's not a replacement for a good receiver sight.

Last but not least - the mag tube loading system. I have no problem with it - no more finger pinch with the Trapper. Typical tube mag - unlock, slide out, drop rounds in, slide tube down and turn to lock. Some say Henry went 'cheap' doing it this way and others say better as it makes for a smooth sided and stronger receiver - you decide.

Oh, one more 'last' - the positive lever detent when closed. When you close the Henry lever you KNOW is closed. Winchester levers are 'closed' when the lever bottoms out on the lower tang assembly and if they are not properly fitted can leave a gap between the lever and tang and doesn't 'feel' right. The Henry lever clicks into the detent and feels secure.

Bottom line - Henry is a great choice for a LEVER gun. It's not a reproduction of anything that used to be but more like a modern Renaissance and improvement of a classic design.

5. ridurall

ridurall Blair, Oklahoma Active Member

I have the big boy in 44 magnum and like it alot. I also have a 629 S&W Competitor that was the reason for buying it. I did put a very nice after market peep site on it. It is an excellent shooting rifle.

6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I think the side feed on lever guns is why I don't keep them.Pain in the bubblegum.
    This is why I want the Henry in the steel version. I just don't care for gold on anything really.
    This would be one that I will get this year. But I want both the 357 and the 44mag

7. ridurall

ridurall Blair, Oklahoma Active Member

There is two different schools of thought on the side feed verses the tube magazine feed that is like a .22 LR magazine. If your fighting and trying to reload on a horse or ATV than the side feed would be hander. I'm not really worried because if I'm in a future situation where I've got to fight I'm probably going to be carrying and AR-15 or more probably my AR-10T or Windham Hunter .308 AR. Much easier to slap another magazine instead of trying to load either type of lever action. Just this country never reaches that point.

8. RVTECH

I don't mind it so much with my 30-30s as the longer cartridge gives something more to 'hang' on to when loading - and due to the length they will hold in the loading gate while the next is used to push it in the rest of the way- which is the 'trick' to loading a 30-30 anyway - only the last cartridge needs to be pushed in all the way.

MikeE likes this.
  9. mjbskwim

Well before moving here where I can carry a loaded rifle in the vehicle,I was thinking the way to do it would be to buy another tube and put a little hole in it at the feed end.Just like a Dillon primer tube.
    Put a pin through the hole and you have your next magazine ready to go!

Sabertooth likes this.
  10. Sabertooth

Went to Bi Mart today, no 22lr but they did have a Henry .44 mag. So after a close up exam.
    At 6.2 I can say it fits an throws good. Smooth action. I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 to compare it with. As to the tube magazine, my Winchester model 72 is a tube feed. Been shooting one since I was 11. I like it better then the side feed pain in the fingers on the Marlin.
    Nose heavy?? My .54 cal. Hawkins will introduce you to nose heavy.
    Got permission to get it from the boss, so I might be going back into town tomorrow. :s0139:
    Then would need to get the .357 model. Why? Cuz I can. :)

F2CMaDMaXX, mjbskwim and Certaindeaf like this.
  11. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Love my.44 Henry. Yes, its on the heavy side. It always makes me smile when I lever in a round. It also goes well with my 5.5 inch sbh. Life is to short not to have the gun you want.

mjbskwim likes this.
  12. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Hey Saber, while you're picking up your new lead chunker, pick up some salted shell peanuts there.. $5/5lbs on sale now and super fresh! yum.
    Well, at least my store has them up here.

13. MarlinNut

MarlinNut Gresham Member

I'm definitely going to buy a Henry steel in 44, but caught rumors of a case hardened receiver possibly being offered, so I'm holding off for now.

14. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Love my Henry lever, only the .22 but it's smooth, solid and accurate as bubblegum!

Heavy it really is, but the octagon barrel really aids the accuracy :)

15. RVTECH

Oh, and another plus I discovered about the Henry (my .357 anyway) it is actually tolerable to shoot without ear protection with full house ammo. With reduced no issue and I suspect with .38s it will be near .22 report.

16. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Is that in reality, RV? Seems unlikely down to near .22 levels, but i'd love to compare.

I know my .22 henry barely needs hearing protection to fire it.

17. mjbskwim

I agree that a 357 out of a 16-20in barrel doesn't need hearing protection but not sure about 22 levels

18. Sabertooth

One new Henry Big Boy .44 mag in my cabinet. Had to put one round through it Sunday. Killed a huge slug at 25 feet. Yup still loud, but not bad without ear muffs. Now just have to work up a hand load for it. Going to try an get a good load that I can use in the pistol an rifle. Sportsman's warehouse, .44 mag, 48 bucks for 20 rounds. Bi Mart none, stopped at two gun store's no .44 mag ammo. Guess I will have to digg into my stash.

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.