JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yes, I've been handloading for 35 years and all that time using single stage equipment. I've flirted with the progressive concept lately. Recently, I had an opportunity to buy a used set at auction. Here's what I wound up with:

xuIXcqe.jpg

This mess is a Dillon 550. Look at all those parts, obviously there are multiple set-ups for different cartridges but it's all very fiddly. No paperwork, no owner's manual. That will be the first thing I do before I launch into this. The previous owner had used this outfit sparingly. Judging by the other materials at hand, it looks like he loaded about 800 rounds of .357 Magnum and maybe 250 rounds of .223 Rem.

One thing I can see now, you don't set this up to run 50 rounds off. The set-up time wouldn't be worth it.

Here's another press I got at the auction, a Forster Coaxial press. I've wanted one of these lately but didn't want to pay new price. This one is nearly new, previous owner said he only used it to decap military primers.

DbEPizL.jpg

Wish me luck with the Dillon, I'll need it. "Be careful what you wish for."

You can read/download the 550 manual here;
https://dilloncdn.com/manuals/dillon-rl550c-manual-english.pdf
That will get you squared away.

You can buy the instructional video here;
Dillon's Instructional DVDs for Reloading Machines (dillondvds): Misc: Books & DVDs
I have a video you could borrow also.

Plus all of the helpful folks here!!
Let us know where you are located and maybe someone nearby could come over and take some of the mystery away.
Surprisingly easy to change over from caliber to caliber, especially if the primer size is the same.
Looks like well over $1000 retail value worth of stuff. Nice find!!
Good luck!!

I paid out around $3000 to get a Dillon set-up like that................but then there were three of us shooting police pistol at around 500 rounds per week........

When we had to give up our handguns, I 'sold' it all back to the gubmint for almost twice what I'd paid for it, and kept my rockchucker.

Yes, I've been handloading for 35 years and all that time using single stage equipment. I've flirted with the progressive concept lately. Recently, I had an opportunity to buy a used set at auction. Here's what I wound up with:

View attachment 594684

This mess is a Dillon 550. Look at all those parts, obviously there are multiple set-ups for different cartridges but it's all very fiddly. No paperwork, no owner's manual. That will be the first thing I do before I launch into this. The previous owner had used this outfit sparingly. Judging by the other materials at hand, it looks like he loaded about 800 rounds of .357 Magnum and maybe 250 rounds of .223 Rem.

One thing I can see now, you don't set this up to run 50 rounds off. The set-up time wouldn't be worth it.

Here's another press I got at the auction, a Forster Coaxial press. I've wanted one of these lately but didn't want to pay new price. This one is nearly new, previous owner said he only used it to decap military primers.

View attachment 594685

The 550 is awesome! You will wonder why you didn't make the move years ago.

Going back [mumblemumble]decades, my very first production run of 357s astonished me: box of 50 in under 15 minutes. Before long that improved.

Changing primer sizes or confirming powder charge was biggest time component of caliber change.

You'll pick up operations tricks as your press time increases. Congratulations on your set up gear.

Eventually if you reload enough, or just don't like changing equipment, you'll get a second 550 and keep one set up for large primer and the other set up for small primer.

They're "the bees knees" for volume reloading.

View attachment 594684

View attachment 594685

Oh DEAR! Indeed! Good luck. With the group around here and the internet I believe you will do just fine. Me? Single stage only guy for eight years, and proud of it. :D

Nice 550. Once you are set up, you can indeed change calibers and "run 50 rounds"
Takes about 30 seconds if the primer size is the same and you have dedicated powder
measures on each caliber. Take a look at the Inline Fabrication website before you
set it up--they have some neat stuff. The little light that fits in the hole in the middle
of the die block was some of the best money I ever spent. I'm at about 400,000 rds
through a 550B now, it's been a great little press.

Very nice dillon, looks new. From what I see primer change over is going to take the longest, because you have powder measures for each head. As far as time it takes to change calibers, how long does it take to reload 50 on a single stage? No hate just asking.
BTW I love my 550B 20181231_125535.jpg

Many thanks for all the encouragement and for the link to the manual, I've already made a hard copy to read and have on hand near the equipment. The press will be mounted with the idea of standing while I work, which is how I've preferred to do these things. I'm in a kind of change-over phase in my garage, where most of such work is done. I've transitioned out of a small business that I was doing which freed up space. I've been thinking about one of those heavy rolling work benches with wooden top as a new, dedicated space for handloading activities and storage. Right now, I've got my stuff concentrated in batches but not all in one place. No way would I be able to store all my bullets and brass in such a place but at least I could have all my tools (dies, etc) together. Maybe some components that were up for near term use. I'd like to open a drawer and see all my die sets in one place.

Re. the rolling work bench, no matter how heavy. I wonder about the suitability of anything mounted on wheels for using a press like this.

Re. dies. I have multiple sets for any given cartridge that I load. There are features that I like better from one brand to another. But I can see it will be handy to have a set just for the Dillon. It came with some dies, I have to look and see what's there. But I think it has .223, 9mm, .45 ACP and .357. I see one tool head that is marked .44 but will likely be reconfigured as I don't do anything .44 anymore. Even though I have dies, bullets and brass for it. I know sure as shootin' that if I sell my .44 stuff, another revolver will come along. It's happened before. Over the years, I've bought .30-30 stuff three or four times but now never again.

The little light that fits in the hole in the middle
of the die block was some of the best money I ever spent.

I've got one of those that I bought for a Lyman Turbo turret press that I bought used a while back. I didn't like using it so I made it go away but never got the light installed.

how long does it take to reload 50 on a single stage?

Your point is very well made. Once all the set-up work is done, the Dillon would do it much faster. But I dink around a lot with different things, maybe I'll have to change my outlook as well when it comes to the Dillon. However, decades of certain habits are hard to change. I have a RC II that I've used for decades, and mostly I have been using a Lee Classic Cast press for the past 15 years or so.

Take a look at the Inline Fabrication website before you
set it up--they have some neat stuff.

I've been to their site before but not since I got the Dillon. I'll visit again.

I don't suppose there is a magic funnel that you can poise over the primer stick and pour them in so they all face the same way? Just asking.

The magic funnels are the pick up tubes they hold 100 primers, fill the tube flip over set on top of the primer tube on the press pull the hair pin clip and primers transfer by gravity.
Should be in the manuel.

Exact setup I have. I have had my Forster for 40 years and my 550B for 25.
When I'm creating small batches (load testing), I just use my Forster. It doesn't seem worth the effort to me to be constantly tweaking the 550. But when I have my set load, I go with the 550.
A couple months ago I was getting ready for a varmint hunt. Once I decided on my load, it was nice to be able to dial in the 550 and start cranking. At a modest pace, I was able to crank out 600 rounds of 5.56 in about 2 hours.

If you don't have a primer flip tray it will be a must for filling the primer tubes. I have the Dillon but it was only 12 bucks when I bought mine, not sure I would pay the 23 bucks they are asking now. Ya I would, the heavy metal vs plastic makes it really nice. Have fun. Also if you have not looked, there are a bunch of good videos on Utube both for set up and use.
Dillon Primer Flip Tray (13606): Reloading: Reloading Machine Accessories

Congrats on your new addition to the reloading world, better keep a side job to pay for all the ammo you will be cranking out... LOL
I would not use a roll around cabinet for any reloading press, just too tippy for my taste when you have to lean into it on a stubborn case. Just MHO.
Good luck & let us see it when it's all set up.;)

I'd like to correct you.

You said it's not worth running 50 rounds. I say you are wrong. Properly setup, you should be able to add powder and go even if it's just 10 rounds needed.

The additional die heads are money in the bank but you need more powder drops. That's where the time savings is.

I dink around a lot with different things, maybe I'll have to change my outlook as well when it comes to the Dillon. However, decades of certain habits are hard to change.

understand the dilemma; once upon a time long ago a loading mentor asked me 'would you rather spend more time reloading or shooting?' They really ARE 2 different (but related of course) activities....rather similar to 'fly fishing' and 'fly tying'. I for one was amazed to learn I'd rather spend more time fly tying that actual fly fishing....

I wouldn't want my loading table to be on wheels....although I have seen guys mount a plywood mounting plate on anything from a fold-up work-mate to a pickup tail gate.

As a neophyte reloading student, I had never as much as touched a single stage press....and started my hobby on the Dillon 450, soon to be the 550 upgrade. It was not all that complicated, and the need to understand the process was rewarded amply by pleasant process and productive range fodder making time.

I used to run 500-1000 round batches as I competed more. Now I've started running 150-250 round batches more frequently as I use fewer calibers & shorter range sessions.
We all find our own path thru the various choke points. There's more than 'one' right answer in a lot of these operational processes.

There are three powder measures. One each set for 9mm, .45 ACP and .44 Mag. The one set for .44 Mag I will set up for .223. I will use one for 9mm but it will need to be reset for a powder I want to use, not what the previous owner used. The third, maybe .45 ACP in a powder I use or switch that tool head over to .38 Super. At one time, there were probably dedicated powder measures for .223 and .357 Mag. tool heads but the previous owner may have given those away. He had friends who reload.

At the same auction, I also bought one lot of new bullets and brass. In this lot, there was a box of 500 RWS brass for .45 ACP with small primer pocket. Now I know why they have the small pocket; so the primer set-up on the Dillon doesn't have to be changed.

Also got some primers and powder. In the batch of primers, there were several 1000 boxes of CCI #41's on APS strips. Did Dillon ever make an accessory to use the primers on strips?

Do many people load larger centerfire rifle cartridges on a Dillon 550, like .30-06?

Congrats on your new addition to the reloading world, better keep a side job to pay for all the ammo you will be cranking out... LOL

I've already got way more component supplies than I'll ever use. It's getting now that I don't go out shooting as much as I'd like. Unscheduled, unexpected things seem to keep coming up, robbing me of time.

I would not use a roll around cabinet for any reloading press, just too tippy for my taste when you have to lean into it on a stubborn case.

This was my thinking. I've done enough reefing on a press handle to appreciate the problem. I'll find another solution but likely will still get some kind of cabinet to concentrate all the little stuff.

Exact setup I have. I have had my Forster for 40 years and my 550B for 25.
When I'm creating small batches (load testing), I just use my Forster. It doesn't seem worth the effort to me to be constantly tweaking the 550. But when I have my set load, I go with the 550.

This concept is what I have in mind, although I will probably keep using the Lee Classic Cast for the small runs. The Forster was an opportunity and I like the design. I may set it up to do certain things.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top