JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are you sure this is not blank gun and ammo? The last I heard from Canadians that you cant not even own a airgun. I do have the opportunity to move to Canada, but I like guns so much that I decide to stay here!

Are you sure this is not blank gun and ammo? The last I heard from Canadians that you cant not even own a airgun. I do have the opportunity to move to Canada, but I like guns so much that I decide to stay here!

You can OWN a lot of guns in Canada. It is handguns they get excited about. They did have a long gun registry, but very few came to the party, they wasted $3 billion and then repealed that law.

Handguns require a license 9called a PAL) and are registered. The chances of obtaining a license to carry a pistol (unless you are a cop or security guard) are very slim. Not, non-existent, but very very rare. There is a "prohibited weapons" list here: Prohibited Firearms - Royal Canadian Mounted Police mostly small, easily concealable pistols, and there is another list for "restricted" weapons (need a PAL to possess)

I was in Canada a few years back and I saw a cop.... so being a friendly American, I went up to him and asked him if citizens of Canada could have guns and he said something in the lines of it being hard or something..... I don't remember too much. I told him I owned an AK-47 and a few Glocks and that I had a license to Conceal Carry and his jaw almost hit the ground hahahahahahah.

301485_103313193115018_979168360_n_zpsf298f593.jpg

Sometimes it doesnt seem too bad up north...

Marstar Canada - 75 SKS (SKS-75)

Not just that they even have SKSs in stock, but that you can get 1440rnds of 762x39 for under $300

We import literally EVERYTHING else from China... wtf?
As soon as you get your Canadian/Federal "Possession and Acquisition License" from the RCMP, you'll be able to buy that ammo.
Licensing - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

But until the Canadian gov't crawlz upyerbutt, and decides you are safe to own ammo, you ain't buying ANY of it!

As soon as you get your Canadian/Federal "Possession and Acquisition License" from the RCMP, you'll be able to buy that ammo.
Licensing - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

But until the Canadian gov't crawlz upyerbutt, and decides you are safe to own ammo, you ain't buying ANY of it!

Don't forget that you still have to make it through US Customs with that ammo. US Customs gave me the third degree to see if I was illegally smuggling Kinder-eggs (German chocolate eggs with toys inside them) the last time I came across. God forbid they found I had cheap chinese ammo. ;)

It's not difficult to get a firearms license in Canada. The non-restricted license is for long-guns and ammunition. If you want a handgun, you need a restricted license. You will never get a concealed carry permit. Handguns can only be shot at a government certified range and you can't hunt with them. Long guns have a 5 round magazine limit, except rimfire.

It's not difficult to get a firearms license in Canada. The non-restricted license is for long-guns and ammunition. If you want a handgun, you need a restricted license. You will never get a concealed carry permit. Handguns can only be shot at a government certified range and you can't hunt with them. Long guns have a 5 round magazine limit, except rimfire.

So, say an U.S. citizen wants to go a huntin' for moosey-mooses, or big-ben bears in the "Great White North" with their own bolt-action Ruger American .308... non-restricted license required/available?

So, say an U.S. citizen wants to go a huntin' for moosey-mooses, or big-ben bears in the "Great White North" with their own bolt-action Ruger American .308... non-restricted license required/available?

You can bring in your rifle and ammo but make sure you declare it. If you plan on hunting make sure you have details about your trip (where you are going, you have arranged a license, &c). Canadian border guards can be very persnickety but if you just answer the questions with no attitude you should have no issues.

You should put the rifle in a hard case in the trunk and put on a trigger lock. Also, make sure the ammo is in a different container and bonus points for it being locked. The more careful you appear to be the more the nannies will be happy with you.

<broken link removed>

Most ordinary hunting rifles and shotguns. These may be brought temporarily into Canada for sporting or hunting use during hunting season, for use in competition, for in-transit movement through Canada, or for personal protection against wildlife in remote areas of Canada. Anyone wishing to bring hunting rifles into Canada must be at least 18 years old, and the firearm must be properly stored for transport.
Declaring your Weapon at the Border

To enter Canada with a Restricted Weapon, you must obtain in advance an Authorization to Transport. In addition, the Firearms Declaration Form must be signed before a Canadian Customs officer and the fee paid at the border. Multiple firearms can be declared on the same form. The declaration will serve as temporary license and registration certificate for up to 60 days. Visitors may renew the temporary license any time during a 12-month period without paying an additional fee. The Non-Resident Firearm Declaration costs CA$50.

Last Edited:
If you really think about it, Canada actually has more permissive gun laws than places in the US like California, Illinois or Washington DC.

The 5 round limit only applies to centerfire semi-auto rifles. No, you cant get a concealed carry permit there, but you cant get one in CA or Illinois either. Getting a license to own a handgun in Canada is about the same in terms of time and hassle as getting a carry permit is here in the states that do issue them. The bottom line is that if you are a gun enthusiast in Canada and you want to own a Glock 19, once you pay the fees and go thru the BS you will be able to legally own one....which is a lot more than can be said for California or Illinois. And if you are an American who wants to bring a hunting rifle into Canada, it is simply a matter of filling out some forms and paying a fee and you are good to go. Catering to wealthy American hunters is big business in Canada and as long as the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed they are more than happy to allow our guns and our money into their country.

I'm not saying their laws are ideal, but you have to admit that they have done a better job of protecting their gun rights without a 2nd Amendment than some areas of the USA have done with one.

You can legally own a Ruger 10/22 with a 25 round detachable magazine in Canada. Good luck trying to buy one in California, Colorado, Illinois, New York, Maryland, or any of the other states that have recently passed magazine capacity bans. Plus, they actually have ammunition on the shelves for sale in Canada, unlike my local Bi-mart that is down to about 4 boxes of .22 shotshells, one box of .303 British, and a bunch of dust bunnies.

Please don't say you "cannot" get a license to carry. There is a provision for a license to carry, and you do NOT have to be a Canadian citizen to obtain one.. It is only that they are EXTREMELY rare and you must meet some very special conditions to be considered.

A license to carry such as we have here in WA and OR they are not. They are a license to carry OPENLY only, and you can live a half a lifetime in Canada and never meet a person that has one. (My dad's cousin had one, I know they exist)

As for the Quebec LEO having heart failure over a license to CONCEAL... Quebec, yes, I can believe that, as Quebec, as a province, is more restrictive than the western provinces and Canada as a nation.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top