JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Will you be there? Sat April 12th, 9:00 Am to 6:00 PM. Please post, in thread, # guests with you.

• Total voters
Barring any unforeseen circumstance, I plan on attending with my brother; it's the least we can do.

Just throwing out an idea: I don't suppose we can get some NWFA Clean-up shirts made up for all those participated; perhaps for a small fee which would help fund future events like this? Doughnuts and water cost money, afterall.

Commander,

No pass needed for this clean up. WA state will provide free Day Pass permits. Any other day, you would normally need one. Washington calls it Discover Pass.

Welcome to come!

Bill

Bill,
Good to know it will not cost out of pocket to do cleanup work.

OTOH, the cost of a discovery pass is a bargain compared to the cost of numerous range sessions or shooting club membership dues.

However, it's a bit for for me to come this time. I do have relates down that way, but not planning a visit. d;' >

Dennis

Just throwing out an idea: I don't suppose we can get some NWFA Clean-up shirts made up for all those participated; perhaps for a small fee which would help fund future events like this? Doughnuts and water cost money, afterall.

Gascan,
Good idea. Good for esprit de corps and bragging rights.
How about "NWFA Range Clean Up Crew" or some such.

Dennis

Having just done some range cleanup myself may I also suggest that anyone participating come equipped with:

1. A good pair of tough skinned gloves such as the ones you can get at any hardware store that are woven fabric with rubberized palms. Good grip and flex, reasonably cool, and will protect from most broken glass etc.
Something like: http://www.harborfreight.com/nylon-knit-gloves-with-polyurethane-palm-large-97403.html

2. A "grabber". Harbor Freight has one with little rubber cups on the business end that work real well on shotgun hulls etc., and save a LOT of back pain from bending over a zillion times. Ask me how I know. ;' >
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=grabbers

(NO, I don't work for Harbor Freight)

3. At least one five gallon bucket with a handle.

4. A brimmed hat - Better vision = more efficiency and less fatigue, and, if you work into the late afternoon, low angled sun can make it hard to see stuff on the ground. If it rains, keeps the rain off your glasses (safety?)

5. Lawn chair - your butt and back WILL get tired! For less pain, rest early and often with a refreshing beverage.

There should be at least a few (may be provided by state)

- Long handled spades (flat bladed shovels) and/or dogie pooper-scooper sets for picking up glass and other small stuff.

- Rakes, both garden and lawn, to consolidate broken glass etc.
so it's easy to shovel.

- Wheel barrow, preferable with puncture proof tire(s). Saves a lot of one bucket trips to the dumpster or whatever.

my .02 ¢
Dennis

Thanks, Dennis! Good pointers and important stuff. It helps to come prepared.

Another tip I learned, especially at this site, boots. There are berry thorn vines all over and scratch up the socks and shoes. Many are like trip wires. Low to the ground and seem to jump right up and trip you.

The state will provide us with gloves, bags and hand sanitizer, however, not rakes, shovels, wheel barrows or buckets.

We appreciate your thoughts!

Bill

Barring any unforeseen circumstance, I plan on attending with my brother; it's the least we can do.

Tee shirts would be cool. Since we are NWFA Volunteers, simple black shirts with a printed back that might have NorthwestFirearms Volunteers. Could add; Clean and Safe Forests for All. On the front, over the pocket, just a blank white patch where you could write in your name or handle (or put on a sticky name tag). Although I like Dennis's "Range Clean Up Crew", some of us may volunteer for other projects, beyond range clean ups, and could use the shirts for that as well.

I haven't check into the cost of that. Any ideas? Time's almost up for this project and I don't know that we could get 20 to 30 shirts made up and paid for before the 12th.

Bill

Need a Porta Potti! I've got the tent, just need a portable toilet and we'll be able to provide a little privacy.

Can anyone provide one? I'll get some tank treatment.

Bill

I plan on making it up there, may not be able to stay the whole day but will stay as long as I can.

I'll bring some tools. Anything special being looked for? I have a small trailer I could bring to take trash to the dump - or are we just leaving bags on the side of the road?

Looking forward to meeting y'all. I grew up shooting on Larch and I'm excited to give some back to an area where I have made many fond memories.

This group clean up was a big part of my deciding to join this forum, big Thanks to those that organized it.

I plan on making it up there, may not be able to stay the whole day but will stay as long as I can.

I'll bring some tools. Anything special being looked for? I have a small trailer I could bring to take trash to the dump - or are we just leaving bags on the side of the road?

Looking forward to meeting y'all. I grew up shooting on Larch and I'm excited to give some back to an area where I have made many fond memories.

This group clean up was a big part of my deciding to join this forum, big Thanks to those that organized it.

Yo, Joe! Way to go!

You won't need the trailer to haul any trash. WA State will pick it up. We'll just put the bags next to the road. May want to bring a long/strong rope to tow a couch or two out to the roadway. They'll send a big truck to pick it up. If we can't get it up to the road, we'll report its location and they'll come get it.

Great to have you on board! Thanks for the Yes vote.

Bill

Let's make a big effort this week to spread the word. I talked to Bill today and we still haven't found someone to bring a Porta Potti. please let us know if you have one you can bring. Nothing fancy needed but something the squatters can use inside a tent so they are more comfortable. Bill plans to get a post made with more details about what to expect. Also if you are a range officer or have some experience with gun safety training please let us know. We expect at least a few young'uns to be out there for their first time and want to have a small group dedicated to making sure it is a good experience for all when we have a chance to do some target practice. (Current plan is to clean up for a few hours and then do some shooting around noon), then to do some more cleanup afterwards. (Several of us will have to leave early afternoon to help out with another event)

Rick

Hey sorry cogs I was really looking forward to makin it but just found out I'm working 4am to 4pm that day. I would like to thank everyone who is going to make it. Larch is trashed and really needs this. Thank you all.

Hey sorry cogs I was really looking forward to makin it but just found out I'm working 4am to 4pm that day. I would like to thank everyone who is going to make it. Larch is trashed and really needs this. Thank you all.

Sorry, JohnnyD, YOU'RE SICK THAT DAY! Remember? ;)

Next time or two will certainly help! Thanks.

Bill

The day is almost upon us. This event marks the beginning of a new working relationship between NorthwestFirearm.com and Washington State Dept. of Natural Resources. We hope it continues in more ways than just cleaning up sites. There are several ways to get involved with the state to work together toward maintaining and developing target shooting areas. A valid and needed outdoor recreational activity. We would like to see that continue. We need your voice to be heard and head to be counted.

Here's a recap of this event and what you can expect…

Sat April 12, 2014. Arrive 9:00 AM till 6:00 PM (plus or minus a couple hours). Show up when you can and leave when you need.

First, we'll meet at a base camp where Steve Rhodes, of DNR, will give a little clean up safety talk, hand out gloves, bags and do a sign in sheet. We'll have a camp fire, coffee and donuts to help wake up. Several shooting sites are close together so we'll start with those first. We'll be leaving the bags of trash next to the road and the correctional facility inmate crews will pick them up the next day or two.

Around noon-ish, we'll break for lunch. Some folks will need to leave early, so, we'll let them do a little shooting at that time. When we feel we're done with the clean up, clear the range and all hell will break loose! It'll be a 'blast'!

This event is open to all. Friends, family and kids.

This may be the shortest route...https://goo.gl/maps/IO2K5

However, you may wish to stop by the Washougal River Mercantile & Gun Repair Shop if you take this route...https://goo.gl/maps/jLreL

GPS Coordinates are.
45.663515, -122.251358

If you go in from the 412th Ave, (after turning off Skye Rd), stay on NE 412th Ave and stay left at the Y of 412 & Skamania Mines Rd, still on 412th. After the pavement runs out, you'll see a bunch on new logging on the right side of the road and we'll be just a few hundred feet up the road from there. I'll have signs pointing the way.

What to bring…

Lunch, water, boots, gloves (DNR will provide gloves if you prefer), rake and shovel would help.

If you're planning to shoot, bring targets, ear plugs, safety glasses and something with a trigger.

Did I forget anything?

I am amazed at the response to this! Thank you,

Bill

Yeah, I forgot a thing or two...

You won't need a permit to park. WA State will provide a day pass.

Also, the hours you put in will be logged, with the state, and counted towards a free Discover Pass. (Once you've accumulated 24 hours of approved volunteer work, you'll receive a free Discover Pass). You may volunteer for other projects and those hours would continue to apply to your total volunteer hours.

Bill

Couple question's,

-I have only been over on the west side of Larch, over above the Clark Rifle Range up to and a bit beyond the Rock Pit, so this will be a new area to me; is there an appropriate space to set up a skeet range? My daughter has never shot one before; I figured if I could talk her into going that it would be fun to shoot some clay.

-If not, that's alright but I have a follow up if the above was no; is there any reason we can't bring shotguns for shooting 2 liters?

Older kids always get a kick out of something you shoot exploding (including me =).

-Paper targets, cardboard boxes, sawhorses, couple pieces of lumber, 2 liters and some cheap 12oz cans of soda to shoot at... Am I missing anything I'll wish I brought, target wise?

Thanks!

Hi, Joe13.

Good that you brought this up. It's something we haven't covered much.

Shotguns and clays are okay. For this event, no exploding things, cans or things that might be considered garbage. I'm not up to date on what 2 liters are, however, check out DNR's rules for target shooting on state lands. Reps from DNR will be there and they will have printed copies of these rules.

We will have a lot of people there and will need to be real careful. We all need to be on our safety toes at all times.

See page 3 of this thread, WAC 332-52-145
Firearms and target shooting.
(c) Persons shall not discharge tracer or incendiary ammunition or projectile devices on department-managed lands. For purposes of this subsection, "incendiary" means causing or designed to cause fires, such as certain substances or bombs. "Tracer ammunition" means a bullet, projectile, or shell that traces its own course in the air with a trail of smoke, chemical incandescence, or fire, so as to facilitate adjustment of the aim.
(4) What may be used as a target?
(a) Items that are commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting or similar targets privately manufactured by the person(s) engaging in target shooting that are consistent with this section.
(b) Unauthorized targets include but are not limited to:
(i) Natural features, except earthen berms or banks used as backstops for target shooting;
(ii) Vegetation;
(iii) Structures;
(iv) Gates;
(v) Vehicles;
(vi) Signs;
(vii) Other department improvements;
(viii) Appliances;
(ix) Furniture;
(x) Glass;
(xi) Privately owned or occupied structures;
(xii) Pets, service animals or livestock;
(xiii) Wildlife;
(xiv) Explosive and incendiary items;
(xv) Garbage of any kind.
Persons shall not target shoot at unauthorized targets.

Hope that answers your questions.

Bill

Do we have a few people with some experience as either a range officer or at least some experience teaching gun safety? I would like to put a small team of about 4 of us together to take on the responsibility of watching and helping others to make sure everyone is being safe.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top