JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Will you be there? Sat April 12th, 9:00 Am to 6:00 PM. Please post, in thread, # guests with you.

• Total voters
Reactions
I just got a response from WA Dept. of Natural Resources. They have offered all the help we need to clean up outdoor shooting sites. And then some!

My letter to them was to ask if any resources are available to help in our clean up efforts at shooting sites on Larch Mntn, WA. I mentioned that several of us, at NWFA, are not happy with the mess at these sites and we want to do something about it. Their response was; if we organized any shoot-n-work days with a 3 week advanced notice, they will provide disposal, gloves, bags, sanitizer, insurance coverage thru L&I and post our clean up days on their volunteer calender. In addition, we will earn hours towards a free Discover Pass (24 hrs of approved outdoor work, which means about 3 clean up days). As for the bigger items we find, they will remove those once we report their locations.

With that kind of help, what are we waiting for? Spring? Lets get busy!

I need to let her know an approximate number of people planning to work on each clean up day. So check your calender, pack a lunch and bring plenty of water.

Who can make it for a shoot-n-work day on Sat April 12th? This should give them adequate time to prepare if I let them know soon that it's a go.

Let me know and I'll keep the ball rolling with DNR.
Thanks,
Bill

UPDATE Fri 4-11-14

Here's a recap of this event and what you can expect…

Sat April 12, 2014. Arrive 9:00 AM till 6:00 PM (plus or minus a couple hours). Show up when you can and leave when you need.

First, we'll meet at a base camp where Steve Rhodes, of DNR, will give a little clean up safety talk, hand out gloves, bags and do a sign in sheet. We'll have a camp fire, coffee and donuts to help wake up. Several shooting sites are close together so we'll start with those first. We'll be leaving the bags of trash next to the road and the correctional facility inmate crews will pick them up the next day or two.

Around noon-ish, we'll break for lunch. Some folks will need to leave early, so, we'll let them do a little shooting at that time. When we feel we're done with the clean up, clear the range and all hell will break loose! It'll be a 'blast'!

This event is open to all. Friends, family and kids.

This may be the shortest route...https://goo.gl/maps/IO2K5

However, you may wish to stop by the Washougal River Mercantile & Gun Repair Shop if you take this route...https://goo.gl/maps/jLreL

GPS Coordinates are.
45.663515, -122.251358

If you go in from the 412th Ave, (after turning off Skye Rd), stay on NE 412th Ave and stay left at the Y of 412 & Skamania Mines Rd, still on 412th. After the pavement runs out, you'll see a bunch on new logging on the right side of the road and we'll be just a few hundred feet up the road from there. I'll have signs pointing the way.

What to bring…

Lunch, water, boots, gloves (DNR will provide gloves if you prefer), rake and shovel would help.

If you're planning to shoot, bring targets, ear plugs, safety glasses and something with a trigger.

Did I forget anything?

Bill

Last Edited:
Thanks, Spray, Vertical, Billy & GunRights,

The part that surprises me is the INSURANCE! I never considered that. Very cool... Just in case.

Oh, Vertical, your 'Conversation' box is full. I tried to send a message and it said it's full. Time for spring cleaning.

This event is open to all. Family and kids. DNR will be posting this to their Volunteer calendar so we could also get a few other people to help as well. May be a good way to introduce them to NWFA in action.

We'll keep a camp fire burnin, may even be able to muster up an endless pot of coffee, and plan on some shooting once we're done. I imagine there will be lots of very cool guns!

If you're not so keen on the work party part, perhaps you could fill a needed nitch... Camp Jack, bake some cookies, bring some paper targets, bring some coffee, bark some orders, carry the bull whip?

Thanks, Bill

I will try to attend. I remember shooting up there back in the day. Now it seems a little sketchy. It would be great to show some support and develop a good relation with the powers that be.

Thanks for the effort on contacting DNR.

Last Edited:
Thanks, Jablunty,

I'm starting to think we may make a nice difference up there. At least to start the summer. May be trashed later, but then again, the more often responsible shooter go there perhaps we'll be scaring off the bad guys.

This event is open to all. Family and kids. DNR will be posting this to their Volunteer calendar so we could also get a few other people to help as well. May be a good way to introduce them to NWFA in action.

We'll keep a camp fire burnin, may even be able to muster up an endless pot of coffee, and plan on some shooting once we're done. I imagine there will be lots of very cool guns!

If you're not so keen on the work party part, perhaps you could fill a needed nitch... Camp Jack, bake some cookies, bring some paper targets, bring some coffee, bark some orders, carry the bull whip?

Thanks, Bill
I normally avoid Larch for shooting but my new 300 Blk is still waiting to be initiated. (Haven't had the time) This might be the chance to toss a few rounds through it.

Inbox is now clean. I know another area that needs some cleaning, it's in the outskirts of Gifford-Pinchot National forest. I was there on Sunday and it was trashed (mostly empty shotgun shells and few broke bottles) but not as bad as some areas that I have been to. PMB and I cleaned it on different occasions individually last year. It doesn't take much to trash an area. But it also doesn't take that much energy to clean up an area if some shooters are responsible enough to clean up after themselves.

Inbox is now clean. I know another area that needs some cleaning, it's in the outskirts of Gifford-Pinchot National forest. I was there on Sunday and it was trashed (mostly empty shotgun shells and few broke bottles) but not as bad as some areas that I have been to. PMB and I cleaned it on different occasions individually last year. It doesn't take much to trash an area. But it also doesn't take that much energy to clean up an area if some shooters are responsible enough to clean up after themselves.
Above Yacolt at the top of a hill near a campground?

Thanks Gunrights and Vertical,

I was also thinking about this kind of a clean up effort around the Yacolt area. Was thinking make that our May project. We'll see how this one goes, work out a bug or two and then pick out a different area each month.

Here I go Over Thinking again.... What about restroom facilities? DNR doesn't cover a portable unit, but, I got to thinking about the Ladies and kids. Now, guys are like Bears, and we all know what Bears do in the woods, but I suspect the Ladies would appreciate some privacy.

Should we have them just Man-up and find a big tree, or, come up with a tent with a port-a-potty in it?

My port-a-potty is an hour and a half away at hunting camp. I don't have any kind of a tent that would work.

What do you think?

Bill

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews