JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Upcoming ATF eForms Technology Upgrade

DECEMBER 17-21​
seal-ltblue_original.png
ltbl_original.jpg
This is an advance notice to current eForms users about the upcoming launch of a new version of ATF eForms.
The goal of this "modernized eForms" is to provide ATF with an infusion of technology to provide better services to our industry members and the public. This much needed modernization will reduce the effort and time required to review and process ATF applications by incorporating online validations and other enhancements.
No action is needed at this time. However, there are some required steps you'll need to complete after the upgrade is finished (details below).

Outage period

In order to facilitate this upgrade, eForms will be offline during the following time frame:
Upgrade Start: Friday, December 17 at 9 p.m.
Tentative Finish: Tuesday, December 21 at 6 a.m.
You can continue to use the existing eForms until the upgrade starts at 9 p.m. next Friday. During the upgrade time frame, however, eForms will be unavailable.

What you need to know

The web address of eForms is not changing. If you have bookmarked eForms in your browser, it will automatically access the new eForms.
Your eForms User ID is not changing. All your previous submissions will transfer to the new system.

Required steps after upgrade

We're updating the eForms login process to provide enhanced security and establish a trusted relationship between the user and ATF. Here's what you'll need to do after Dec. 21:​
  1. After the upgrade, you'll need to manually reset your passwordbefore you can log in for the first time.
  2. Once you log in with your new password, the system will ask you to update your user profile information and create a security PIN.
Please review our step-by-step guide with screenshots, but do not complete these steps until the upgrade is complete on Dec. 21:
📄 Existing Users - First Time Login Steps (docx, 1.75 MB)
📄 New Users - First Time Login Steps (docx, 1.33 MB)

What to expect

Once the upgrade is finished, you may notice a few changes in the eForms interface. Here's what to expect:​
  • ATF eForm 4 is coming back. After the upgrade, you will be able to submit the ATF Form 4 electronically through eForms.
  • Electronic submission of ATF Forms 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6A, 9, 10 and 5300.11 with the required electronic documents.
  • Electronic submission of fingerprint cards for ATF Form 4. You will be able to attach your "digital fingerprint cards" to your submission.
  • Support for larger file attachments. The updated eForms will accept electronic documents up to 30 MB in size.
  • Enhanced validations to ensure that the upfront validations of your data occur prior to submission.
  • User PIN for validating the submission of all forms as part of the submission process.
  • Self-service support for forgotten passwords and PINs.
  • Rules of behavior that must be accepted to proceed with the use of eForms.
  • "Ask the Expert" to send your questions to our subject matter experts.
  • Use of smarter technology to improve customer service and build a foundation for future enhancements such as an Application Programming Interface (API) and Captcha.

Contact us

In our efforts to provide you continuous support through this transition, we have created five temporary email mailboxes to help us assist you:​
It is our goal to have ATF personnel monitor these mailboxes to assist you with a response within 3 business days.​
blue-divide_original.png

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

99 New York Avenue NE
Washington, DC 20226

Haha I was just going to post this. Hopefully wait times will be shortened. :)
My guess is...it gets worse.

They're removing a barrier to submission...one would expect additional submissions and a new "norm" at a higher volume. I see nothing in their announcements that would indicate that they'll be using any sort of process to actually speed up their reviews.

So, they're saving some data entry time. Wahoo. When do you think they'll just have their system talk to the FBI and NSA databases so that the return answer is instantaneous?

My guess is...it gets worse.

They're removing a barrier to submission...one would expect additional submissions and a new "norm" at a higher volume. I see nothing in their announcements that would indicate that they'll be using any sort of process to actually speed up their reviews.

So, they're saving some data entry time. Wahoo. When do you think they'll just have their system talk to the FBI and NSA databases so that the return answer is instantaneous?
Never. They won't make it that easy.

Apparently ATF feels that is too often not the case, so they nicely tell us that the purpose of this upgrade is partly to " . . . establish a trusted relationship between the user and ATF."

Doesn't that make feel, um, immeasurably reassured?
They are trusting that users, will provide more information?

So what's going to happen to all the Form 4's that were submitted prior to the upgraded e-file launch. Will those get pushed back or slacked off on while new e-files get processed? I'm about 4 months in gun shop jail on my Trash Panda. I'll be a bit pi$$ed if they start emailing out PDF stamps for the new submissions while I wait potentially another 6 to 8 months for my approval. Honestly I don't think a new Form 4 e-file should be reviewed until all the old ones are cleared out. Just my .02 Don't withdrawal and try to resubmit either as the ATF stated in a release that they'll put your app on hold for 1 year.

Last Edited:
Well the first ones into the new efile system will have some folks waiting minutes, then hours, then days for their Form4 approval since they get to be at the front of the line for the all new eform 4. I am in the same boat and have paper form4's pending with various time served but I figure the easier way to get over it is get as close as possible to the front of the new line by buying some more suppressors.

What I haven't seen is whether SilencerShop's system will get a response back indicating approval of the eform4 like they post for the cashed check. Then you would have a general idea of when that stamp is coming. Unless it is going to be like eform1's right now where you just get the electronic approval which would be great so you aren't waiting an extra month for the physical stamp to get mailed out and then make its way via the USPS.

I have an item coming from Ruben after it clears 3. I have two stamps pending at various stages. It'll be a good test to see just how good or bad the new process is.

I have an item coming from Ruben after it clears 3. I have two stamps pending at various stages. It'll be a good test to see just how good or bad the new process is.
Heard this afternoon that the new launch this week won't happen on time as planned and previously stated by the ATF and Silencer Shop. I was told it would be a while before the system is up and accepting new submissions. 2014 2.0?

Last Edited:
Color me shocked.

I honestly wonder if the ATF would consider putting out for RFP a revamp of their entire system. I bet a rebuild could be done properly in a year or less, and be insanely effective (and secure.) We're talking Workday-level easy to use but without the clunky Workday design.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top