Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Officer Talk: Buy A Gun in Good Faith -- Felony If Gun Is Found Stolen [I'm Confused]

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by victoriouslegion, Apr 3, 2013.

1. victoriouslegion

victoriouslegion Northwest Member

Hi,

I had a conversation with a police officer a little bit ago who said that if I bought a firearm from someone, didn't check that it was stolen, and I was found in possession of it -- and it was stolen, that it is a Class C Felony.

I told him that everything I've read says that if the gun is purchased in good faith we are okay. He countered and said what is good faith -- that won't hold up in court. One of the most disturbing conversations I've had with a police officer.

I always check ID/CPL before purchasing. Still, I was confused by his interpretation.

Info/thoughts,
    Vic

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  2. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

Protip: donut inhalers aren't lawyers.

mancat, Nwcid, carracer and 5 others like this.
  3. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

How does this differ from buying a refrigerator? Sure, if you buy known-stolen goods then it is a crime. But if you don't know, it is not a crime.

4. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

What state? What statute did he cite? Sounds like a bubbleguming moron.

Nwcid, Swedish K, BDA.45 and 3 others like this.
  5. Ben Beckerich

Here's the law of the land for Oregon: Oregon Revised Statutes

Familiarize yourself with it. If a cop ever tells you sum bullbubblegum, check it against the law. He'll be using the Oregon Criminal Code to cite statutes, which is a condensed version for LE and legal professionals, but the numbers are all the same.

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Ben Beckerich

Note the search function- just make sure the drop-down menu is on "OR Revised Statutes," or it'll search under a bunch of other crap that won't be helpful.

7. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

As stated the LEO is wrong as in most cases like this. I know first hand, I went though it. No it has not changed the way I deal with gun purchases or sales. I follow the law, nothing more and nothing less.........

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  8. econoaddict

econoaddict Halsey Member

I went through this, bought a rifle from a local gun shop and it ended up being "hot"
    I did have to show proof of who I bought it from to keep from being charged, ever since I always write up some sort of bill of sale and do a quick call to run the numbers.

9. tiggers97

tiggers97 United States Well-Known Member

How do you "run the numbers" to check if it's stolen?

10. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

If you are an OR resident they have a system.

Problems is there is NO way to tell for sure if the gun is stolen. All that will come up is that there is no report of it being stolen at the time of the "report".

In my case the gun was transferred though 2 FFL's just fine. Over 5 years later when I went to sell the gun at an FFL (across state lines) the gun came back stolen. Almost a year after I bought it was when it was reported stolen.

11. tiggers97

tiggers97 United States Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm an Oregon resident (check). How do I access the system? go to a gun store and have then run the serial number the same way they do background checks? Or is there a website?

12. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

13. econoaddict

econoaddict Halsey Member

FICS Instant Check (And Stolen Gun Checks) 1-800-432-5059

Bushman and (deleted member) like this.
  14. 1Asterisk

1Asterisk Eugene, OR Member

You may want to take a look at ORS 164.095 Theft by Receiving, the part that says "knowing or having good reason to know that the property was the subject of theft" before making blanket statements.
    Donut Inhaler (Ret.)