JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you think what the officer did was justified?

• Absolutely!

• He had no business drawing his weapon!

• He should have used a taser!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Who voted that he had no business drawing his weapon? :confused:

What should he have been doing while Pinky was getting gutted?

I discovered a few minutes ago that you can click on the voting bar and it will show you.

Mostly, I wasn't surprised... the usual subjects I have on ignore. Bet they won't see your post asking who done it!!! :D

Tueller Drill. We use it in our Concealed Pistol License (CPL in Michigan) class.
I get to be the knifer! I'm old and slow-people are stunned to get "cut up"

Joe
Who needs a Tueller drill when you can get the real thing? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Portland_train_attack

Turning this tragedy to training:
- crowded train
- assailant within 10'
- assailant not initially interested in you but immediately attacks as soon as you show interest in aiding the victim(s)
- strong knife fighter who goes for the neck

Regarding the OP...nothing more need be said that hasn't already been said, but I am going to complain about an argument I see all over Twitter: why'd he (the cop) have to shoot to kill?

My response: There is no shoot to wound. Not legally. Not philosophically.

I know...I know...first mistake: looked at Twitter.

if one of my fellow citizens goes to stick a knife in me right in front of a policeman, I expect the policeman to drop them. If I try to stick a knife into one of my fellow citizens right in front of a policeman, I expect to get shot. I expect the same for others.

Regarding the OP...nothing more need be said that hasn't already been said, but I am going to complain about an argument I see all over Twitter: why'd he (the cop) have to shoot to kill?

My response: There is no shoot to wound. Not legally. Not philosophically.

Now now, you know the answer is "shoot to stop the threat". Say it with me..... "Shoot - to - stop - the - dam - threat". So ya's don't git yaself into da troubles if you ever have to do it!!

But also better because anybody idiotic enough to ask you that question will not understand your sarcasm.

I didn't vote because I didn't like any of the options, which leads us to why the officer decided to shoot the knife-girl, if he had like a 3'-4' hardwood baton or staff like they had in the old days, he could have put the hurt on knife girl, saved the day and no one gets killed. Sure she might end up with a broken arm or two. The problem is long ago beating an attacker into submission was demeaned brutal and excessive force so what tools are left, handcuffs, maybe some chemical irritant, possibly a taser and of course the duty weapon. If the taser and spray only sometimes work in some situations then the tool that gets used the most is probably going to be the pistol. So my vote would have been d) night stick beating

Might as well send a nun with a yardstick.

Seriously, there might be a few Singapore bobbies talented enough with batons, but there are usually more than one responding to something like that. Yet we read all the time about knife killings in such countries, as well as in the UK. And I think even there they call out the special coppers on a knife wielder.

Baton = not deadly force

against

Knife = deadly force

How does this sound like a good idea for the avg overweight, undertrained, donut and coffee subsisting popo????????

And remember... knives go thru vests, and the major arteries in arms, neck, etc are totally unprotected. If I'm a cop, I'm not going home with big gashes, and debilitating/crippling cut tendons, in me in order to avoid shooting someone attacking with deadly intent. Rule of survival: you ALWAYS use more force that that which is deployed against you!!!

And don't even get me started on the optics of beating the crap out of POC with batons... you know, just like on the streets in the 60s... But then, you knew that when you posted. So it wasn't a real option anyway.

Last Edited:
If it is true that banter causes threads to be closed, then that is pretty sad. Perhaps we should hire Sister Mary Elephant to keep the class in order.

Oh NOOOOoooooo, not that!!! Penguins with pointers and yardsticke!!! My knuckles hurt just thinking about it!!!!!!!!!

Singapore does not mess around. :cool:

Yeah, I'm not sure the baton example was apt, maybe more so in Indonesia, Malaysia? IDK.

I do remember that graffiti with earn a kid a serious caning, as one unfortunate foreigner found out.

Carrying drugs will get you the death penalty.... No Midnight Cowboy?

I wonder what you get if you commit murder... drawn and quartered? Or maybe they execute you twice, three times??
(ETA: Or.... MAYBE they try to understand what happened in you lived life that got you to that place. /sarc)

Last Edited:
A few of us won't stop or retreat. Ever.
I fled Baltimore 40 years ago to come back home.

I know what a lost city is truly like and Portland still has a ways to go yet. It's comparatively tiny but has become the offered test bed for sociological experiments so it makes the news a lot.
But this new tactic of de-funding, demoralizing and attacking any and all law enforcement is new, And scarily effective.
Soon there will be no cops that want to stay on the job.

Yuri was right.

Curious what part of potland you live in? Neighborhood?

Over the last 30 + years I've worked in many of the cities various neighborhoods. There are neighborhoods where the peoples living there would not know how the city has changed in the last ten years if they didn't watch a lot of local news. Even if they did, frequently watch the news, they wouldn't know what its like to live in or near some of the neighborhoods. Just saying, I guess, depending on where you live in the Greater Portland Area a person my not have a real life concept of what this city is/has turned into.

Put it this way. I'm holding breath that bubblegum don't come down in my hood. Because there's no way there's enough law enforcement to help us. And no one would support us if we helped ourselves.

Curious what part of potland you live in? Neighborhood?

Over the last 30 + years I've worked in many of the cities various neighborhoods. There are neighborhoods where the peoples living there would not know how the city has changed in the last ten years if they didn't watch a lot of local news. Even if they did, frequently watch the news, they wouldn't know what its like to live in or near some of the neighborhoods. Just saying, I guess, depending on where you live in the Greater Portland Area a person my not have a real life concept of what this city is/has turned into.

Put it this way. I'm holding breath that bubblegum don't come down in my hood. Because there's no way there's enough law enforcement to help us. And no one would support us if we helped ourselves.
Foster & 72nd.
North Gate to Felony Flats. :cool:

Now now, you know the answer is "shoot to stop the threat". Say it with me..... "Shoot - to - stop - the - dam - threat". So ya's don't git yaself into da troubles if you ever have to do it!!

But also better because anybody idiotic enough to ask you that question will not understand your sarcasm.

Indeed, you and I know it's "stop the threat." I was more-so thinking along these lines of response to the idea of shooting to wound:
- So, there's a deadly, imminent threat
- That I need to stop, else life will be lost
- And I will do so by throwing a screaming hot piece of lead and copper faster than sound into the assailant's body
- This bullet is designed to cause a wound
- This wound will damage soft tissue, bone, cause bleeding, and could destroy an organ should it find it's way into one
- And one shot may not even stop the threat, so multiple may be required to exit imminent danger
- Which means 1+ bullet wounds in the attacker

And you want me to do this...without risk of death to the attacker?

It is a beyond naive point of view...and given by an adult, I would have to say a downright ignorant point of view that fails to take into account human nature and spirit, anatomy, and how weapons function/work.

I'll make this offer to anyone: I'll pay you $400 for a full day, 10-hour training course that teaches me how to effectively shoot to wound while stopping a deadly threat.

I hear home prices are skyrocketing! Sell!

We're on the Beaverton/Hillsboro border. House is up from $325k to $375k in market val in the 3.5 years we've had it. We're selling next summer to go somewhere else for my wife's internship and we've already decided that we're not coming back to Beaverton/Hillsboro. Politics aside, she wants snow and I dislike the rain.

So c'mon Portland market...hold in there...keep going up...take it to the moon! Just don't drop back before next fall.

If it is true that banter causes threads to be closed, then that is pretty sad. Perhaps we should hire Sister Mary Elephant to keep the class in order.

Not sure where a thread closure was mentioned, but I ain't closing s***.

I thought it was interesting to read that the Liberal Hardy Boys (Lemon/Cuomo) actually weighed in on this in support of the officer.

Notably:
During the discussion with Cuomo, Lemon also addressed comments that the officer should have deployed a Taser.

"Tasers don't work the way guns work," Lemon said. "Not at that distance," added Cuomo. "And not with that amount of time."

Lemon added: "If the woman in the pink was my sister, niece, wife, whatever … you have to make a decision. Is one life on that scene more valuable than another?

"And if someone is trying to take a life on that scene, do you protect the life of the person trying to take the life or do you protect the life of the person whose life is an imminent danger at that moment?

"It is tough because one is a 16-year-old. I don't know how old the other person is, but that other person's life was in imminent danger."

He later said: "Either way in that position, I think that someone's life probably would have ended. It could have been the other woman in the pink or it could've been the 16-year-old who sadly ended up dying."

Cuomo told Lemon: "Everything you're saying is instructive and brave. Because people don't want to hear you say that this was a justified shooting."

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top