JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I watched the video several times.

I find the video inconclusive.

I realize that the video clarity isn't great, but it looks to me that he was pulling something out of his right front pocket. Or could have been.

I am sorry the guy got shot. But his first mistake was riding like an idiot. His second mistake was not keeping his hands in plain view. Maybe the cop was a little quick on the trigger. But the rider put himself in a position that he didn't need to be in.

Nobody wins this one.

Seriously???

WOW.

I hope youre not a cop

Yes I am serious. And no I'm not a cop. What freakin difference would it make anyway?

I watched the video and drew my own conclusions. Which I am entitled to. Whether you agree or not makes no difference.

I am not defending the cop or the biker. I simply pointed out what I saw and how I feel.

Instead of raising his hands straight up, like EVERYONE knows they should, the biker moved his arm and elbow back drawing his hand to his pocket or waist area.

Before he moved his right hand, the biker also turned his head and looked at the cop. Which could be percieved as aquiring his target.

Again, this is what I see. Put your self in the cops shoes and watch the video again.

Some here say the police officer was justified for shooting the guy on the bike. However, isn't it not acceptable for law enforcement officers to pull a gun or shoot people if they are unarmed, or at least appear to be unarmed? I mean any officer, at any given time, can be shot to death. Just asking a person to hand over their license and registration puts them at risk of being shot. Why not just have the officer have a gun drawn and tell every person they stop to put their hands up each time? I mean a person in a car is far more dangerous then a guy sitting in the open on a bike. What precaution do officers take when approaching a vehicle? I seen/read scenarios of officers stopping way more dangerous criminals with less caution then this guy.

This guy did nothing more than any other person who would be stopped. The problem was he was on a motorcycle and his entire body was more visible to the overly paranoid police officer. Why not this guy just shoot any person who gets nervous as heck when they are pulled over? If this police officer shot somebody I loved or you loved, because they were afraid and mistook some small movement as a threat, what would you think?

We are always at risk of being shot. However, there are risks and etiquettes. A guy working cash register at Plaid Pantry next to my old apartment was shot to death by a robber. Should ever Plaid Pantry clerk have a gun drawn during every transaction? Certainly, it would lower the number of robberies and death of clerks; however would you enjoy shopping there? This crazy cop crossed the line. He crippled an unarmed man who was having trouble understanding the officers orders. I know there could have been a better way to solve this confrontation besides running outwith a gun and shooting the guy on the slightest wrong move.

Remember, most average citizens are not trained law-enforcement officers. We don't go to school and learn how to react to ap olice officer. Many people don't understand all the rules and many don't think that getting pulled over for speeding will result in them getting blasted. Nobody thinks that turning their head to see what is happening will end them with a bullet in their back.

If he shot my son, father, brother.. I tell you.. I wouldn't forgive this guy. Would you?

Normally, I suppport law enforcement in these type of scenarios, but not this one. Go read the history of this Ottawa Hills police force and you will see it has a history of problems.

With this being said, many more police officers are shot at by ruthless criminals, then officers shooting unarmed innocent civilians. I understand police have tough job and respect them for that.

It was wrong for the cop to have had his gun drawn in the first place.

Throw the book at him.
I strongly suggest that you folks schedule several ride alongs with the local LEO dept. then make an informed opinion of what is faced on the street every night. Why did these guys run?, why did they not comply?, Were their plates run and came back with wants and warrants? Full disclosure is fully informed of facts. Greydog.

I strongly suggest that you folks schedule several ride alongs with the local LEO dept. then make an informed opinion of what is faced on the street every night. Why did these guys run?, why did they not comply?, Were their plates run and came back with wants and warrants? Full disclosure is fully informed of facts. Greydog.

Were you watching a different video? Where did this guy run? The lights came on in the cruiser, and the guy pulled over immediately.

Obviously the LEO had (in his opinion) a good reason to have drawn his weapon . You can't draw any valid conclusion from a few seconds of video that doesn't show what happened before to put the cop on defense . I would have preferred that he didn't shoot after a comfortable , safe review of the tape showing one perspective . Would I be pissed if i was shot during a traffic stop ? you bet , but then I make sure to keep my hands in sight , make no sudden movements and try to avoid doing anything that would make the officer fear for his safety .

"3- The biker's movements were not quick enough to warrant a shoot."

Really how fast or slow the guy was moving is not the issue if you are going for a gun and trying to hide your actions you would go slow. Also Police are trained to look for clues in body language for warning having been through that training myself I would have shoot this guy to. You can clearly hear the officer tell the biker 3 times to put his hands up without any sign of compliance after the third time the officer shot him. I wasn't there to see the whole thing but from my training i would have shot this guy myself the camera gives a different angle then what the officer could see. This is just another very unfortunate accident. But with all of the police being killed in the NW in the last two years i can understand why the officer did what he did. I believe that to find the officer guilty of a crime would be a shame.Criminal I don't think so civilly liable maybe. And by the way bullets will travel pretty good through the sheet metal used in Automobiles. You tube shots through car doors and such. Guys don't be so quick to armchair this event lets find out what the court system finds in the case.

You are totally unsuitable to be a cop and your type are why many of us distrust LE. In fact with your statement that you would have shot this guy I can see clear to completely taking your 2nd amendment rights away, permanently. People like you do not need to even own a weapon, much less carry one with a badge pinned on

Obviously the LEO had (in his opinion) a good reason to have drawn his weapon . You can't draw any valid conclusion from a few seconds of video that doesn't show what happened before to put the cop on defense . I would have preferred that he didn't shoot after a comfortable , safe review of the tape showing one perspective . Would I be pissed if i was shot during a traffic stop ? you bet , but then I make sure to keep my hands in sight , make no sudden movements and try to avoid doing anything that would make the officer fear for his safety .

Drawing is one thing, shooting a guy in the back like this is not

Looks to me like the cop was WAY WAY too quick to shoot,and for no good or valid reason.
He had come to a full stop,and was not making aggressive moves,just turning to see what was going on,and maybe trying to figure out why the **** he was being screamed at.
Training be damned, i don't think most people could come to a screeching stop after a persuit,jump out of their car screaming ,and not have adrenalin cloud their thinking and judgement. I think in this case adrenelin (sp) got the better of him and he over reacted to a small movement for the rider,
IMHO,YMMV,etc etc

If this fully exposed and non aggressive, non threatening man can be shot in the back for a traffic stop, any of us inside a car/truck can be gunned down with impunity, as well

Anyone who is defending the cop's actions is, IMO a psycho and or police state goon

It's pretty clear they didn't "run" since the cop did not even have his lights on until they took off fast. I am guessing those guys did not even know a cop was behind them, and they were just racing off the line against each other, having some "fun". If they were running from the cops, why did the (now paralyzed) man stop?

in this case, there is at least a plausible "excuse" for the cop to have shot.... a thin thread, at best, but its there.
Remember the case up in Everett WA where a really drunk guy.. I mean falling down near comatose drunk guy, leaves a bar, gets into his Vette, and tries to leave the bar's car park... local LEO appear, rightly (someone in the joint called them.... and properly so). The guy makes an attempt to leave the car park, red lights on the cop cars and all..... he is so blind drunk he runs into the fence at one edge of the lot, gets his Vette all tangled up..... warm evening, window down, one cop is standing there screaming orders at the nearly passed out drunk, who can barely sit up in his car with the belts on.... of COURSE the guy can't comply and get out of his car.... the cop's car was behind the Vette, he could go nowhere (fence still in front, partly wrapped round the nose of the car).... the guy is sitting there, falling asleep.... so the cop, after only a couple of minutes, pulls out his duty weapon and fires seven shots at the drunk, killing him, after saying "its time to end this". The drunk could NOT be construed to be any type of threat... he was totally immobilised, could not even get out of his car, couldn't move the car.... and too drunk to be coordinated. The Grand Jury, after hearing testimony detailing and establishing all of the above as fact, acquitted the cop... "the shooting was justified". That same jury on this case would quickly clear the guy... to go out and do it again. Oh, by the way, the cop who killed the drunk Vette driver had been involved in another very questionable shooting a couple years earlier.....

this cop here had better hope he gets a jury as corrupt as the Everett cop got.... else he'll be passing some years in the area's Greybar Hotel.....

Yes, there have been a lot more incidents of cops getting shot on duty and off.... six last year in Washington State (five by men who should not have been on the streets......) but there have also been a sharply increased number of incidents such as the two here... the drunk Vette driver, and this guy on his bike. Portland a few years back a city cop killed a young man running across the street to catch a bus.... unarmed, hard of hearing..... seems the cops need to rein themselves in quite a bit before they become targets everywhere they go..... and if that happens, they will be getting offed with no way of knowing it is coming. I would hate for that to happen, but, the way many LEO at all levels have been conducting themselves these past few years, it would not surprise me. The Clemmens shooting in Lakewood will become commonplace..... he had earned his troubles with LE, but still, that shooting was plainly revenge. Twisted men could, in their own perverted way, justify declaring open season on blue suits with badges and guns. Chicago durinng Prohibition could become a wider reality..... LEA definitely need to clean up their acts.....

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads