JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Officer awaiting backup is assaulted

Police - The Northeast Precinct will look at the time it took to respond to the call for backup A Portland police officer was assaulted and knocked to the ground Sunday when she walked up to a man who was standing in the middle of a busy North Portland intersection

Thursday, March 12, 2009
The Oregonian

<broken link removed>

Police have shot people for a whole lot less. Why go for a taser if you are alone and have been assaulted like that. I'm sure her .40 would have made it's way through those heavy cloths. :confused:

As good as LEO can be, they are no Action Heroes, and can't even protect/backup one of their own. And the libs want us to surrender a our guns and let police protect us...

Also, she should have waited for backup. That was a high price to pay for a lesson learned.

well, nothing like a little Friday afternoon quarterbacking. From this article you can't tell if there was an immediate need to contact him. You can't tell what the real situation was so, before ya dump on this officer, you should know all of the facts.

Agreed. Wait for the police statement and then you will know you have 100% truth and nothing more to consider.

RARELY will the whole facts EVER be known unless you are either 1) There (best) or 2) talk to the officer involved.

100&#37; of the stories I have read in the paper that I was invovled in were missing very important facts, or blatantly wrong... makes me wonder about the other 99.999999999999999999999 % of the media I dont have first hand knowledge about.

This is why I hate Portland.
And +1 to enforce the reason we shouldn't depend on the Police. If we have to get help from the Police and the Police have to get help from.......Who exactly?

I have family and friends working for the P.P.D and I would hope they would shoot first in this situation and ask questions later. To the Med Ex of course.

But this is the problem Portland has every time they deal with one of these pieces of trash they damn near get slapped with a congressional hearing.
Meanwhile the crime rate goes way up, and the safety of our community goes drastically down.
Makes me sick.
We need a real mayor and a real Police Chief that will stick up to the public anddo what needs done, not what the hippies and tree huggers will approve.

This is why I'm trying to move away from this place. I love the NW but I hate the idiotic political game.

I will say if I am in a situation like that, I'm using my concealed handgun license to unconceal some steel.

I pray for a speedy recovery for Officer Lance.

Did she think she could duke it out with a guy? Sorry, but nobody, including a female officer should get themselves in that position. Even somebody in PCP could have overwhelmed the most intensely strong male officer on the force, but she put herself in danger.

Like others have stated, I'd really like to see the statement from the department as well.

RARELY will the whole facts EVER be known unless you are either 1) There (best) or 2) talk to the officer involved.

100% of the stories I have read in the paper that I was invovled in were missing very important facts, or blatantly wrong... makes me wonder about the other 99.999999999999999999999 % of the media I dont have first hand knowledge about.

+1 The Oregonian is known for that.

Of course we all know the oregonian is trash, I personally used to read it everyday and stopped about 6 years ago because I know they put their own spin on the news and mostly with Police situations to piss off the public to revolt. Obviously this hightens it readers. The problem is there's a market for it. Just like the news everywhere people eat that up. If we didn't have such a large population of sheep in this area they wouldn't be as successful. People don't have the common sense enough to see the truth and know where their focus should be trained.
I personally think the media is a big a scam as wall street.

We've seen this time and time again, Police respond to a situation they have to make contact and before they know it someone whips around and socks them in the face. But at that moment, pull the trigger. If someone is trash enough to swing on a cop (especially a man hitting a female, and I use the term man just for description) But with the restaints they have now because of our sheep we call citizens that Officer probably would have gone to jail and been sued for everything she had.

Sad.

Of course we all know the oregonian is trash, I personally used to read it everyday and stopped about 6 years ago because I know they put their own spin on the news and mostly with Police situations to piss off the public to revolt. Obviously this hightens it readers. The problem is there's a market for it. Just like the news everywhere people eat that up. If we didn't have such a large population of sheep in this area they wouldn't be as successful. People don't have the common sense enough to see the truth and know where their focus should be trained.
I personally think the media is a big a scam as wall street.

We've seen this time and time again, Police respond to a situation they have to make contact and before they know it someone whips around and socks them in the face. But at that moment, pull the trigger. If someone is trash enough to swing on a cop (especially a man hitting a female, and I use the term man just for description) But with the restaints they have now because of our sheep we call citizens that Officer probably would have gone to jail and been sued for everything she had.

Sad.

The problem with the media is they are owned by the same people that are involved in all of the corporate greed that is destroying America.

You are correct the media has demonized the police dept so much that they can't even do their job with worry or retaliation.

I have a guy I used to do work for that works in a Police agency, he is a Sargent on a SWAT team, I was asking him about a situation like this one time. And he barely let me get out the question and he blurted out "I'd kill em, No doubt".
He said if someone was willing to come after him, he suspected they would kill him and he would do what he had to do. He's going home to his family.

I couldn't agree more. And please don't get me wrong I in no way think Officer's should shoot first ask questions later. But in a situation where some guy or girl will assault a Police Officer, then they don't deserve life.
We need law, and we even more need Officer's that understand the law and enforce it as much as they follow it. But in no way should they give their life so a criminal can live.

Ted Nugent said it best in the following clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_QjEL0uUgo

These "pull the trigger" comments really irk me. He swung at someone with a fist so shoot him. Sure...

Maybe she should of trained little harder like many of the IDF women I know do every day. She's lucky someone was nice enough to help her to do her job. Now she's whining to the union about back-up and looking for money.

Police have shot people for a whole lot less. Why go for a taser if you are alone and have been assaulted like that. I'm sure her .40 would have made it's way through those heavy cloths. :confused:

Hate to say it but...... A female officer alone, being attacked, slow back up! A couple of .40 rounds and a well articulated report. This would have been a done deal for that bad guy.

Hate to say it but...... A female officer alone, being attacked, slow back up! A couple of .40 rounds and a well articulated report. This would have been a done deal for that bad guy.

Agreed! Well articulated reports will help quite a bit!

Woman LEO against a man, escalation of the use of force continuum goes up!

BTW, PPB carries 9mm luger now, no more .40 cal. PPB has been having problems with the thin glock 22 frames exploding on them due to the hot 40 round.

These "pull the trigger" comments really irk me. He swung at someone with a fist so shoot him. Sure...

Maybe she should of trained little harder like many of the IDF women I know do every day. She's lucky someone was nice enough to help her to do her job. Now she's whining to the union about back-up and looking for money.

So basically we wait until they get killed and say well maybe they shoudl have trained harder?
Maybe people should learn not to be criminals? I don't know maybe I'm crazy. Maybe people should learn to act like adults. Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe people should think about their consequences before they do something stupid. Maybe I'm crazy.
Maybe I'm crazy because I would rather see a criminal dead then someone who protects me and my family. I would rather see a criminal dead than your wife, your husband, your children. So when I say "pull the trigger" That's what I mean. How many times has a criminal punched an Officer and taken their weapon and used it on them.
The only good criminal is a dead criminal.
When I read the paper or watch the news and see another Officer dead because some piece of trash didn't what charged with pocession, THAT IRKS ME.

Per the Oregonian article "he struck her in the face and knocked her to the ground" "The officer wrestled with the man but was able to grab her radio and yell, "I'm fighting,"

That is more than enough justification to shoot her attacker. Should she take the chance of being shot with her own gun? What kind of people do you think attack a police officer?

The use of deadly force for civilians is justified in cases of grievous bodily harm. I would have shot given the same circumstances.

Grievous bodily harm and disparity of force are two things that anyone concealed carrying need to be very familiar with.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top