JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You might have to send a pic of your package first too.
Colleague did that, hit the wrong "to:" and sent a dik-pik to the team. All was forgiven, but he might never live it down....
How do you know it was an accident? At my place of employment, if a guy can grab somebody elses phone when theyre not looking and put a picture of their sack on it, its basically the height of humor.

#1 I did say use common sense in who you help. Directed at not helping the idiot that is not responsible or raging a**hole as ones you let darwin train.

But after that, if we on the Right are not willing to welcome others into what we hold so dear to our hearts, how can we expect opinions (and Voting) to change? By ignoring them or saying their hypocrites? New gun owners that used to be anti-gun are by far some of the BEST change agents we can have, especially if their experience with OTHER gun owners is positive. It gets even better IF their first real experiences with a gun are also positive and in a safe environment. vrs. just have a gun locked up and never actually used it.

If they cross gun owners that shun them for their past, why would they not push back and quietly own a gun? No change no value. And we are still where we are now if anything more backward as the new owners are NOT going to want to be part of people being negative.

Nothing is gained by scolding a new gun owner if they did or did not previously support guns. Even the urge of the childish "told ya so" has no value. IF we really want to see the change it's reaching out and helping the new people coming into the way we think about our true freedom to own and use firearms. True some MAY end up being future hypocrites, but we know others will not. And its that new blood, new thinking, new votes that is huge. Especially when they start to share their feelings with their friends and family.

All of us 2A folks can stand around the preach the 2A and complain about the left to each other, but it takes bringing in NEW people for us to actually see a change in what we are up against. I for one want to actually see change vrs self-gratification of telling off a new gun owner.

BTW: That couple I worked with yesterday left the range seriously talking how they really just had no idea in the past just why people loved their guns. They got it 100% how much fun it was to target shoot and boy they loved shooting the steel plate I set up for them. I did the whole working up to the 9mm they bought with suppressed .22 pistol, then unsuppressed .22 then on to their 9mm. Their experience was 100% positive and the two other gun owners they met were polite and welcomed them to buying a gun. Both said the same thing to them. keep coming to the range and learn to use it. Sure they could 6 months from now change, but I doubt that. I will be inviting them out to the range now and then to encourage them to keep active in shooting. Its minimal effort on my part. If it costs me a little of my time and few 100 rounds of ammo for two new 2A supporters, well worth it.

Yes, I believe in teaching others. One thing I note that I experienced with pistols and witness in others, that in the process of owning and learning to master a gun, people lose their irrational fear of guns, feel empowered, and understand the 2nd amendment intuitively.

This ^^ man gets it. I'm not really sure what to say about some of the other comments though. Other than I'm sure glad that when I joined this firearms community, I was quite overwhelmed at how welcoming every one was. I didn't have to answer any test question to make sure I was okay to join. Looking and thinking back now, some of the things I was thinking sound pretty silly now when I think about it, knowing what I know now. Not a soul poked at me or made me feel inferior in any way.

It doesn't look right reading some of the responses above. I'm as angry at folks trying to screw US every bit as much, if not more, than others here are. I figure ANY ONE that is willing to hold something that so scares them, and overcome that fear, deserves our full attention and friendship. I suppose, if it made some feel better to kick 'em to the curb later, they could do that.

I could consider teaching the avg newbie, in the public interest mind you, as long as they don't start spewing their political viewpoints. That would make it a total "walk-away" event for me.

I personally have always enjoyed teaching others to shoot. Shooting steel gives instant gratification and gets the newbie pumped. Wining folks to our side is our best shot at keeping/getting the laws on our side.
Holding a grudge aint gunna win nuthin.

If someone I know expresses interest, I'd gladly take them out at least once. If they've never shot, it seems to always have a positive impact. I share why I shoot and believe it's important to exercise our rights, it's a-political really.

Well, my friend who was late to the party, dont think he will be able to pick up his ar on the 29th due to washingtons announcement of shutting down non essential businesses. Sounds like hes packing his vehicle and will be hesding this way tomorrow. Probably be one of many refugees fleeing the puget sound. I told him after he gets here we are both quarantined for some time until we know he didnt bring the kung flu. Going to be a lot of shooting and gun lessons here on the cougar farm. Boot camp time. And taking him lion hunting starting april 1st, hes never hunted anything.

Have to admit that the only people I have introduced to guns are people I knew very well. And thats how it will stay. It takes many hours over days. And its very intense. If they arent dear friends, I suggest courses rather than teach them myself.

I once had an acquaintance, a neighbor, ask me to teach her. She had a teenage son who was being treated for depression and suicidal ideation. I told her she was out of her everloving mind. Even if she locked the gun up, or just rented one, it would get her kid thinking about guns. Just not a good time for her to take up shooting.

I tried my buddy bought a handgun because of all this I brought him out taught him basics like proper grip and how to aim and pull the trigger properly and he couldn't hit an IPSC target at 9 yards.... I cant even we are supposed to go out later this week and try again.

I tried my buddy bought a handgun because of all this I brought him out taught him basics like proper grip and how to aim and pull the trigger properly and he couldn't hit an IPSC target at 9 yards.... I cant even we are supposed to go out later this week and try again.

Try 3yds... nothing breeds success like success!! Then, instead of moving out the distance, put an aiming point on the target, a dot from a marker will do, but those orange stick-ons are great!

Not enough info

What are you shooting? .22lr, .380, .38Spec, 9mm, .40S&W, 10mm, .45ACP, .45Colt, .454Casull, .500S&W, 30-06, .50BMG????????

Are you doing draw and fire, shooting from low ready, standard target style, single hand grip, two hand grip, Weaver, modified Weaver, Isoceles, two hand from a rest?

Shooting with both eyes open, or one eyed. Is your buddy cross dominant eyed... have you checked?

W/o more info, it leaves the question open of whether you should be teaching. It brings to mind the axiom "If the student hasn't learned, the teacher hasn't taught.

Last Edited:
Try 3yds... nothing breeds success like success!!

Not enough info

What are you shooting? .22lr, .380, .38Spec, 9mm, .40S&W, 10mm, .45ACP, .45Colt, .454Casull, .500S&W, 30-06, .50BMG????????

We tried a Ruger mark 4 22 then a 9mm 1911 and a beretta 92. we shot maybe 100 rounds total at 4 yards he was all over a torso target he was flinching on almost every shot so I tried loading snap caps randomly in his mags to get him to realize he was flinching and try to correct it as he said he didn't feel like he was flinching. I also assigned him some dry fire practice to do while we waited to go out again

We tried a Ruger mark 4 22 then a 9mm 1911 and a beretta 92. we shot maybe 100 rounds total at 4 yards he was all over a torso target he was flinching on almost every shot so I tried loading snap caps randomly in his mags to get him to realize he was flinching and try to correct it as he said he didn't feel like he was flinching. I also assigned him some dry fire practice to do while we waited to go out again

You want advice, or comments?

(Note: I was editing my first post while you commented... sorry!)

You want advice, or comments?
advice would be nice I have taken multiple courses from Kagwerks and others I also shoot competition but I dont know how to teach him apart from basics. One of the dry fire things I told him to do is try to balance a dime on the front sight post and pull the trigger without it falling off as he was also jerking the trigger on almost every pull even after I told him.

advice would be nice I have taken multiple courses from Kagwerks and others I also shoot competition but I dont know how to teach him apart from basics.

I'm also a competition pistol shooter, and not a teacher, so we're in the same boat. But I may have a little more experience with newbies.

My advice is to stick to the basics until he has it down pat. That would mean the Mark 4 from no more than 3 yards, preferably from a rest with a bullseye target, not a great big IPSC target with no real aimpoint. But you really must say whether he is shooting one-eye closed or both eyes open. Depending on where he wants to go with his shooting, he may really need to shoot with both eyes open. It is critical for self defenders, as well as any kind of action shooting. Soooo, if shooting with both eyes open, he MUST be tested for cross dominance... I'll ask again... Have you done that or is it not a factor?

Last Edited:
BTW, the Beretta 92 has a completely diff trigger feel from both the Ruger Mark 4 and the 9mm 1911... I would be trying to maintain consistency while he is still in the early stages, so when you do get to shooting the 92, I'm thinking shooting it at full cock until he is ready to learn a new trigger system. I would really stay with one thing at a time. IMO stay with the Ruger until he is very good at all the basics and has found what grip, what stance works best, how to use the sights, and can shoot accurately from all the distances up to 25yds.

Standard fare marksmanship should come first before moving up to longer distances or a diff pistol. Then can learn to shoot either of your 9mm, and learn how to draw, etc.

What does he want to do in pistol shooting? It will make a big diff in what the next step(s) are for him!!!

Last Edited:
BTW, the Beretta 92 has a completely diff trigger feel from both the Ruger Mark 4 and the 9mm 1911... I would be trying to maintain consistency while he is still in the early stages, so when you do get to shooting the 92, I'm thinking shooting it at full cock until he is ready to learn a new trigger system. I would really stay with one thing at a time. IMO stay with the Ruger until he is very good at all the basics and has found what grip, what stance works best, how to use the sights, and can shoot accurately from all the distances up to 25yds.

Standard fare marksmanship should come first before moving up to longer distances or a diff pistol. Then can learn to shoot either of your 9mm, and learn how to draw, etc.

What does he want to do in pistol shooting? It will make a big diff in what the next step(s) are for him!!!
he is cross eye dominant which is where I ran into a wall as I don't know how to teach that. We were running the beretta SAO for the time. I have a 22/45 which is the same grip angle as the 1911 which is why I brought it to train with. He just wants to be proficient enough that if he has to use it in his house for self defense he can hit accurately in house distances.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top