JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Right now there is an all-time high of new to gun, gun buyers out there. PLEASE if you come across them in your circle of people, consider offering to show them basic safety skills. Use your common sense of course, but if "Nancy in accounting" at work shares she just bought her first gun and she is a level headed person offer to show her basic safety or better yet a range day. New owners usually have no idea even where to start to shoot in your area.

These last two weeks I have had a number of non-gun people I know contact me asking what gun they should get. Not close friends just other business owners that know I am 2A. They all got the same answer - none if they don't plan to go to a range and learn how to use them. I offered every one of them to take them out and teach them the basics IF they decided to get one. So far two have taken me up on it, just did a range day yesterday with a couple that never thought they would own a gun. The other one is scheduled for later this week.

That couple yesterday had ZERO knowledge of the SIG they bought last week. Just the fact they bought 20 rounds of ammo for it is clear they did not plan to practice with it. I told them to bring 100rds to the range, they tried going back to where they bought it to buy ammo Friday but they did not have any practice ammo, just 20rd boxes of self-defense. They called me from the store asking if they should buy 5 boxes of it, told them to buy 1 more box since their gun held 15 and they should fill both mags they have. (they never thought of the 2nd mag they have) I then gave them the training rounds yesterday from my horde. Turns out they enjoyed shooting. Imagine that, non-gunners turned gun owners that then decide target shooting is actually fun.

This crappy situation we are all in does have a silver lining for some of our 2A future. Help those new GUN OWNERS!

Last Edited:
If they provide the ammo, I'll provide my range and experience.

But they'll have to qualify with a couple of questions answered first, like 'were' you anti-gun' before the hullabaloo?

Vote Left?

Are you still 'anti-gun', but willing to 'look the other way' (so to speak) for a short time?

Still plan to vote left?

If yes to my questions, no, I won't help you.

I support what and why you propose this exchange with new owners.
Typo first paragraph; (I have been cooped up too long)

Why would I want to teach Nancy in accounting how to 'rage' with a gun?

Andy,

You have a kind and forgiving heart.

I understand your ideas for folks new to guns.

Me, I'm not as kind or forgiving.

Gun hypocrites have to earn my help.

Ye olde, 'oh now guns are OK, cuz you' want one or two' set my teeth on edge...

Andy,

I understood.

We're not arguing.

I just don't see these left of center cats changing their spots just because they got frightened and now want 'us' to help lessen their fear.

If, one of them (or more) was to declare that 'wow' was I ever wrong about guns, I now see 'the light' - I may help them, but they have to earn it.

Once the cv storm is past, I see most of them doing the 'heh, heh, heh' routine up their sleeves and turn their guns in to the police to be melted down...or saying "sucker" I fooled you as I'm still anti-gun bernie bro or pro biden me...ha, ha.

Yes, I'm bitter towards these folk and not willing to think with our help and kindness they'll stop being as some call them: libtards

I for one , will take a chance on helping someone to think and act differently...
If someone else doesn't then that is fine , for them.

I typically LOVE to help people learn, if nothing else to show off what all I know!!! But teaching newbies would depend on what I know about the individual(s)... if I can't normally stand their spewing political viewpoints, I still don't want to be around them.... it's not good to be angry around each other when handling firearms.... Mrs. Kyle says it never turns out well for at least one of the parties in question.

That said, in all other cases, I would at least teach safe handling, basic operation, ethics of lethal force, etc. In the interest of public safety.

Look, maybe I'm just a dick (puts on flame proof suit) but it's not my job to go out of my way to teach all the "new" panicked gun owners to shoot.

Sorry, just because you bought a tool doesn't mean I'm gonna show you how to use it.

Besides that, all these newbs should probably take a class and get some "professional" instruction.

I deleted my posts here , not 'cause of being "touchy"...
Just tired of writing what was to me a clear post and easy to understand ...
And having my points missed or misunderstood.

I shall no longer respond here in this thread.
Andy

Andy, ANYTHING on the internet can be interpreted many different ways. No reason to stop participating. :)

Good post @Helocat
Yes, I believe in teaching others. One thing I note that I experienced with pistols and witness in others, that in the process of owning and learning to master a gun, people lose their irrational fear of guns, feel empowered, and understand the 2nd amendment intuitively.

Besides that, all these newbs should probably take a class and get some "professional" instruction.
Well, on the bright side, chicks get excited learning how to shoot. You might get lucky.

You might have to send a pic of your package first too.
Colleague did that, hit the wrong "to:" and sent a dik-pik to the team. All was forgiven, but he might never live it down....
"Here's what I'm gonna have you shoot off first, girl."
cute-weapon-tiny2-b.jpg

Hope she has small hands!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads