JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
You have my permission to be 1/8 MOA or more off-topic.

This is for the tinfoil users among us. FEMA or civil-unrest detention camp?

WASHINGTON — Christmas Valley’s former military radar site could be a camp for disaster victims — as well as a renewable energy hub — if the state of Oregon gets its way.

The 2,622-acre site once held an Air Force radar complex designed to watch for threats across the Pacific Ocean. But the machine was shuttered in 1990, only a few months after it was finished. Since the Air Force announced it would close the radar station in 2005, the military, the Bureau of Land Management and the state have envisioned developing the site for solar or wind power.

Now, the state is also eyeing the land as a depot for emergency supplies or tent encampment for people displaced by natural disasters, said Oregon Emergency Management Director Ken Murphy.

The site is about 95 miles southeast of Bend and far from any large population centers. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing when it comes to storing supplies or relocating disaster victims, Murphy said.

“To some extent your population centers might not be available,” Murphy said. “They may be destroyed, they may be contaminated, so I always look for those areas away from population centers.”

Full article...

Regardless of the intended message, this is what I find the most frustrating;

"The $410 billion spending bill that became law last week includes a $380,600 earmark to the state Department of Energy. The department will use the money to research geothermal, wind and solar power potential at the site, said Diana Enright, assistant director for the Renewable Energy Division at the department."

I don't see much about detention, though.

As an Air Guard member, I can tell you that the Guard is not willing to let that facility go as they want to retain it for training and are making a point to use it at least once per year to "justify the need" for it. I will probably visit the facility in August.

Well...if it is only used once a year, I would agree (and I don't know how often it is used). But I was referring just to my unit. There are numerous Army and Air Guard units, and they do need a place to practice in a tactical environment. Most folks don't want us learning how to drive 5-ton trucks in their neighborhood. Many units are in urban areas that are not condusive to realistic training.

Oregon does not have a full time active military base, but they have a very large Army Guard presence (41st Infrantry Brigade), Camp Rilea, Camp Withicomb, multiple armories. The Air guard has two full F-15 Fighter wings, a weather flight, an Air Traffic Contol Unit, a Tactical Air Control Unit, a Special Tactics Unit, and Air Reserve unit. and there are Navy and Marine Corp Reserve Unit and several Coast Guard facilities. Just so you know! :) The Oregon Air Guard did loose two Combat Communications units, however.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top