JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a question thread. Use the up arrow to the right of good answers to upvote. Answers with more votes appear higher on the list.
Well, I get Alerts, not sure if I will see them in the New Posts response though.

BTW, whatever happened to the rule that you couldn't post an ad in Classifieds until you had X number of posts? Or did I just imagine that?

Upvote 0
Not gonna happen, We are a GUN forum, and that's out #1 focus! With all the negative news, rona, masks, racism, BLM, and other Non Gun related topics, the system is completely flooded with crap threads which seriously detracts from what this sight is all about! Think of it this way, doing a google search, do you want one of the B.S topics to come up and bring people here, or only Gun topics? You need to look at the big picture of this sight's mission, not your personal tastes! We staff have enough on our plates chasing all the Crap threads and keeping things in check largely because new folks joining are brought here for off topic crap and they dive right in to the discussions, often with out even a cursory read of the rules!

It would NOT hurt my feelings if the whole thing was gone.

Last Edited:
Upvote 0
Would it be nicer for the user to let the user set which sub-forums they wish to see in "new posts"?

I agree with other members who would like a user configurable new post section. Is it possible? Maybe it could be added as an option for supporting members?

There already seems to be a decently robust Advanced Search feature...is there a way that we can save searches to our own, personal "new posts" tab?

A customizable new posts page is something I've been asking the devs to implement for years. If possible, that's absolutely how I'd like it to work. We're getting ready for a major update which is going to change quite a few things in the next 6-12 months. Once we're past that I'll be looking into it again.

I'd love to shut off the classified ads for the new posts button. At times the first two pages are nothing but one guys ads.

The new classified system has it's own dedicated tab, so once it's in place they'll no longer show on the new posts page. This is going to make a lot of people very happy and a lot of people very mad. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) it's not an option we have, that's how the new software is designed.

How does that work? If I click to watch a whole sub forum would I get a ton of alerts?

That depends on whether you select new messages or new threads. Selecting new threads isn't too bad but watching a whole section with new messages would probably be a little overwhelming.

No joke. I finally got my settings to stop sending emails. I still get some from older threads from an update or two ago I must have participated in. Can't quite figure out how to stop those.

If you go to Watched Threads it'll say email next to threads which still send emails. You can disable emails for all watched threads by going to "Manage watched threads" --> "Disable email notification", but be careful with it. I get messages frequently asking how to "undo" it (and there isn't a way, you'd have to go back and change your watch preferences for each thread).

1594507058417.png

I'm not 100% sure that keeping a sub forum off the front page will keep it out of Google.
In fact, I'm sure that's not the case. It's how necro-threads happen.

We're not trying to hide the threads from Google, just reduce the visibility of non-firearm content on the new page. As mentioned, the watch feature allows members to stay current with other sections.

Upvote 0
Honestly, with all the BullSnot threads that have nothing to do with Guns, this is a most welcome change, and I'm very much a fan of!
It's so much nicer to NOT see all the Crap threads popping up in the new posts or new threads sections, and frankly, I wish that stuff would all just go away!

I'd argue that these "BullSnot" threads should simply be removed if they have no value to the ownership of the board.

Personally, I like the non-firearm stuff as much as the firearm stuff. Maybe it's blasphemy, but there really is more to life than guns. Hell, I thought guns were the means to protecting life. I could have heard that wrong though! ;)

Upvote 0
Wow, man, that's harsh. I'm sorry for your loss. Really.

I'm gonna hafta remember that "coming to JMB moment" comment, though. Can I borrow that? o_O

Upvote 0
Wow, man, that's harsh. I'm sorry for your loss. Really.

I'm gonna hafta remember that "coming to JMB moment" comment, though. Can I borrow that? o_O

No worries. I'm kinda better off now though, even though I find myself laid off once again.

I likely read/heard that from someone else, so it's probably freeware under the GNU license anyway. Have at it!

Upvote 0
I recently joined a Bigfoot discussion forum and the process was pretty tight. You basically had to fill out the registration, then wait to have an admin review it. Once approved, you could only post in the "New Member Introduction" section. Then you were restricted to how many posts you could make in a single 24-hour period. Each post had to be approved by a mod before going live. After 5 approved posts, then you could start a thread topic. They still limit me to one "thread like" reaction every 24 hours, and I've been there about a month with around 50 posts.

To say they are extremely sensitive to trolls is an understatement, lol.

I don't know if a more restrictive New Member process would be appropriate or not... :s0153:

Upvote 0
I don't know if a more restrictive New Member process would be appropriate or not... :s0153:
Well, I think that the mods here are pretty on top of things. Why, just tonight, we had a guy booted after being here barely over 24 hours with over 50-some posts.
In his short tenure here, he managed to piss off just about everyone (me included, and that is no small feat), and finally incurred the wrath of at least one of the mods.
I've never seen a n00b poke a moderator bear so much so soon! It was all over in a flash, I never even got a chance to get my popcorn and settle in for the show... :D

Last Edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I think that the mods here are pretty on top of things. Why, just tonight, we had a guy booted after being here barely over 24 hours with over 50-some posts.
In his short tenure here, he managed to piss off just about everyone (me included, and that is no small feat), and finally incurred the wrath of at least one of the mods.
I never even got a chance to get my popcorn and settle in for the show... :D

Hmm, I kinda remember being one of the cast members. Weird how things turn out. :D

Upvote 0
I loved how you just came out and said it! I had called him out earlier in the day on another thread, a wee bit more sublimely than you, but it got deleted.
Guy was clearly a sealion...

Upvote 0
I loved how you just came out and said it! I had called him out earlier in the day on another thread, a wee bit more sublimely than you, but it got deleted.
Guy was clearly a sealion...

I got my own pecker smacked for that as well though, so cest la vie.

Maybe in time I'll be remembered for the guy who pulled the mods' last straw and got the fuzzy ferginer banned. Everyone needs a legacy.

I'll wait for my martyr badge to arrive in the mail. Maybe it will come with a nice letter too.

Upvote 0
I've never seen a n00b poke a moderator bear so much so soon! It was all over in a flash, I never even got a chance to get my popcorn and settle in for the show... :D

Yeah, that guy started off well enough, but then started stirring the pot and quickly was outed. Catching stealth pot-stirrers like him would be difficult no matter how restrictive the New Member process was.

I'm on a vehicle forum that is 98% conservative and they have one leftist that they let run loose. He turns every thread into a bubblegum show. Doesn't personally attack anyone, but intentionally pushes buttons. They have a political section and it's nothing but ten members taking turns arguing with this guy. Every thread gets turned into a debate between them and this one guy. I have him on ignore and it's annoying to see a thread of five pages of nothing but responses to this guy.

Upvote 0
I smelled troll-breath in the room almost from the git-go with him. Brand new member (no introduction/welcome post, early posts go straight to the sharp-edged forums), he asked a personal question, promised that he was being sincere in his query and would not judge anyone's answer. Then upon my answer, he immediately began questioning the rationale behind my response. He did the same thing with Andy.

Then he went on to antagonize us both after we had said our piece and he wouldn't let it go, getting snarky and claiming that I was after the last word, when in fact I was not. Saw him throughout the day antagonizing others with his snarky posts. Decided it was time I hit the ignore toggle. Takes a lot for me to go there...

I smelled a sea lion in our midst, and I was later proven to be correct when he starting taunting one of the mods last night. I didn't even get a chance to get my popcorn and beer and settle in for the entertainment that was sure to follow. He didn't last long after he started poking the bear. Click on his avatar today and you get the "Oops! We ran into some problems. This user's profile is not available" message.

Bottom line is I'm damned glad that asshat is gone..

Last Edited:
Upvote 0

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews