JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hope everyone expressing anger in this thread is actually doing something about it, by writing (repeatedly) to legislators, and helping raise awareness of what is going on.

That goes for CISPA, as well.

No. People with CHLs are uneffected. There are a LOT of CHLs in the Portland area. Last Summer, the GAO reported that about 5.1% of adults had CHLs in Oregon, which translated to 147,000 of them. That was about 1/20, and it has increased substantially. Because of the difference in local regulation between Portland metro area and more distant counties, and based on what I see on a daily basis through work, I'd guess that there are about 120,000 CHLs in the Portland metro area, and climbing rapidly.

My lady and I were wrapping up Christmas shopping at Washington Square a few days after the CTC shooting, and I saw at least 20 people who I know carry on a daily basis.

My point is that an armed guard at the hospital would be in violation of the new laws

My point is UNLESS the Store,Gas Station, Bartender,PAWNSHOP clerk etc had a CHL they could not have a LOADED gun on the premises.

Since the new law makes it illegal to have a Loaded gun anywhere in Multnomah County thats not your home while hunting or target shooting etc.

HOW does this mesh with Heller? How can you have an individual right to have a firearm for self defense if it has to be unloaded.

Now you know where to rob a business, raid a corporate office, or perpetrate a heist a one of the many breweries or distilleries in town. Maybe a convenience store or Credit Union (not officially a Bank). Those people are a bunch of morons!! I smell a law suit!!

I have and it was worthless. To have your rights infringed in your own town and county really sucks.

It wasn't worthless when Oregon legislators backed off of the worst State proposals and used the "this should be done at the Federal level" cop out, or when it came out that the Senate couldn't get support for the Federal bills. It should be painfully obvious that political pressure from lobbying groups and persistent & outspoken voters are the reasons why we do not currently have a new Assault Weapons Ban in place, universal background checks, firearms registration, etc.

By being loud and determined, we (the firearms community) scared legislators with votes and dollars. We won the most recent battles.

If we continue to be outspoken and passionate, and if we continue to show the fence sitters what we're about, we will continue to win.

In the intended use of the words, "to bear" (according to the 7th Circuit Court, and the SCOTUS, interpreting the words of the forefathers)...

yes.

You believe the court got it right? I think once again the interpreting of the Constitution was interpreted wrong. You may agree with it but I do not. Its pretty hard to misinterpret..."Shall not be infringed."

It wasn't worthless when Oregon legislators backed off of the worst State proposals and used the "this should be done at the Federal level" cop out, or when it came out that the Senate couldn't get support for the Federal bills. It should be painfully obvious that political pressure from lobbying groups and persistent & outspoken voters are the reasons why we do not currently have a new Assault Weapons Ban in place, universal background checks, firearms registration, etc.

By being loud and determined, we (the firearms community) scared legislators with votes and dollars. We won the most recent battles.

If we continue to be outspoken and passionate, and if we continue to show the fence sitters what we're about, we will continue to win.

Maybe not worthless in the state of Oregon, you are right. Just here in Multnomah county.

Oak Harbor, Washington tried to pull this same crap last year, but their ban was overturned because it conflicted with State law. Any chance we can get the Oregon Supreme Court to invalidate parts or all of the Multnomah County Ordinances?

Can somebody explain this to me?
15.065 Discharge of a Firearm.
(A) It is unlawful for any person to fire or discharge a firearm within the boundaries of the County.
(B) The prohibition of subsection (A) of this section does not apply to or affect those listed in ORS 166.171(2).

Does this mean that it is illegal to discharge a firearm?

Also,
15.064 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.
(A) It is unlawful for any person in a public place, to carry a firearm upon the person, or while in a vehicle in a public place, unless all ammunition has been removed from the chamber and from the cylinder, clip, or magazine. A person who violates this section is subject to penalty even if the person did not know that ammunition was in the cylinder, chamber, clip or magazine.

Does this mean I have to unload ALL magazines when traveling through M. County?

Wouldn't this make the Multnomah County ordinances null and void?

OR. REV. STAT. ANN. §166.170 (2011) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly. READ ALL

OR. REV. STAT. ANN. §166.170 (2011)

166.170. State preemption.

(1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.

(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews