JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
MULTNOMAH COUNTY PASSES ANTI-GUN ORDINANCES

Today, the Multnomah County Commissioners unanimously passed an ordinance to demonize gun owners while having no effect on criminals or the violently mentally ill.

Although the County website often removes or changes URLs, the most recent one containing the ordinance can be seen here:

http://multnomah.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=3&clip_id=599&meta_id=38224

While there will be more on this in coming days, including reports from OFF members who attended the hearing, here is the summary:

Open loaded carry will now be illegal in Multnomah County for non-licensees.

Only security guards who work at banks will be allowed to be armed. Armed guards elsewhere would be prohibited (Apparently much of the “gun violence” is being committed by security guards.)

It will now be unlawful for a person without a CHL to have a loaded magazine or speed loader in any public place, including your car, anywhere in the county.

It will now be unlawful to refuse to allow the police to inspect a magazine you have...even if you don’t have a gun!

It will now be a crime to allow a minor to have access to one of your firearms, unless of course, you’ve given him permission to have it. (We know, it makes no sense.)

This won’t apply if the minor was on your property illegally. This won’t apply if your gun had a trigger lock. The County has not explained how they will prove your firearm did NOT have a trigger lock. We are confident that all guns that are obtained by minors from this point on, will be reported to have had trigger locks. (It would appear that none of the County Commissioners are Mensa candidates.)

If your firearm is stolen and you don’t report the theft within 48 hours of "knowing or having reason to know” that it was stolen, you face a $2,500.00 fine. We predict there will be lots of people who didn’t “know” their guns were stolen.

If your gun is stolen and you can’t provide a serial number, you will be charged a $200.00 “administrative fee.” They don’t say what that fee is supposed to cover.

All in all, pointless rules that are only intended to harass and demonize gun owners. The Sheriff of Multnomah County thinks these rules are a great idea. The County has no rules punishing people who allow minors access to their car keys.

Reports are that the overwhelming majority of people who testified were in opposition.

I don't actually anticipate this causing problems for anyone, unless "lawyerish" rural residents leverage the devil in the details against neighbors. CHLs are very easy to get in Multnomah County. The most likely end result is more revenue for the county, as people who want to carry are forced to get their CHLs.

I don't actually anticipate this causing problems for anyone, unless "lawyerish" rural residents leverage the devil in the details against neighbors. CHLs are very easy to get in Multnomah County. The most likely end result is more revenue for the county, as people who want to carry are forced to get their CHLs.

It's more the principle of the thing for the most part - them just discounting us. I didn't see it but I thought it also included that there was to be no discharge of a firearm within the county (exception granted for hunting but not target shooting). I'd have to go look at what passed and I would have thought OFF would have had that in their summary if it was there, so it may not be.

It's more the principle of the thing for the most part - them just discounting us. I didn't see it but I thought it also included that there was to be no discharge of a firearm within the county (exception granted for hunting but not target shooting). I'd have to go look at what passed and I would have thought OFF would have had that in their summary if it was there, so it may not be.

I agree 100% that it's a principle issue-- and that alone makes it a big deal. To be clear, my point about it not actually causing many problems wasn't intended to be approval, or a statement that I don't think the legislation is a big deal.

Government is a tool implemented with the purpose of benefitting people. In keeping with that core purpose, ALL crafted law should have the express purpose of benefitting The People. These regulations do not benefit The People. Therefore, they should not exist.

My sincere belief is that most of the push for gun control at this point is PR. Nobody has solutions for the economic poopstorm we're in, so it's "we have to do something, so we can say 'look what we did!'"

Target shooting at ranges or outside the urban growth boundary are allowed by ORS 166.171.

My sincere belief is that most of the push for gun control at this point is PR. Nobody has solutions for the economic poopstorm we're in, so it's "we have to do something, so we can say 'look what we did!'"

I've wondered about that too; politicians trying to look like they are keeping busy and thus trying to create the perception they provide value to the people. The politicians usually lack the moral courage, critical thinking and problem solving skills to go after the big social and political problems so they focus more on superficial new laws to grandstand upon. For the record I do believe they want to ban guns since they neither respect nor trust the masses of us commoners, and they want far more control over us.

Rhetorically, why is Obama calling for research into gun violence rather than the problem of overall violence we have in our society? Why exclude violence that uses hands and feet, bats and hammers, knives and other edged objects? Taking the issue one step further I don't think the Left wants to do too much research into society's problems of violence since they help create so much of it. Eighty-five percent of the men in prison for a second violent offense (#2 time shows a pattern) were raised in a single mother led home. Politically, it is against the Left's pro-feminist anti-male anti-father mantra to acknowledge the divorce rate, having children out of marriage and being raised without a father, etc are causing more boys to drop out of school, join gangs, do drugs, and commit violence more than boys/young men raised with a father.

SO does this mean there will be no loaded firearms in any business in multnomah county? No loaded gun in any Mini mart Bar Gas station check cashing place PAWN SHOP? Unless the person on duty is the owner of the firearm and has a CHL?

NO Armed guards at the Hospitals?

What about Armored Car Guards and Drivers?

Are these people coming up with this stuff complete morons?

I now have a personal boycott in place for Multnomah County. I will not buy real estate there. I will not voluntarily travel there. I will not voluntarily spend any money there. Multnomah County needs to become its own little island, cut off completely from the rational world. I plan to do my part.

SO does this mean there will be no loaded firearms in any business in multnomah county? No loaded gun in any Mini mart Bar Gas station check cashing place PAWN SHOP? Unless the person on duty is the owner of the firearm and has a CHL?

No. People with CHLs are uneffected. There are a LOT of CHLs in the Portland area. Last Summer, the GAO reported that about 5.1% of adults had CHLs in Oregon, which translated to 147,000 of them. That was about 1/20, and it has increased substantially. Because of the difference in local regulation between Portland metro area and more distant counties, and based on what I see on a daily basis through work, I'd guess that there are about 120,000 CHLs in the Portland metro area, and climbing rapidly.

My lady and I were wrapping up Christmas shopping at Washington Square a few days after the CTC shooting, and I saw at least 20 people who I know carry on a daily basis.

I would have to say yes to the last question for sure.
As for the other questions we'll have to wait and see if the crimes committed in these places go up or get more violent. I think this crap just gives the criminal more stomping grounds where they know the odds of running into someone else with a gun is low. Not good In my opinion. Why oh why did I buy a house in Multnomah country. :(

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR