JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I sympathize with you. Many state governments, including Washington, have been and are being overrun by Dictators who forget what it means to serve and represent people. They won't squeeze the upper class, and they can't squeeze the poor. So to generate money to continue their fraudulent power grab, they squeeze the people in the middle.

And unfortunately what they say is true in that you can't fight city hall.

They can probably lien and take your property, maybe bar you from occupying it as a "health hazard." They can fine you into bankruptcy or submission. And $250 a day will look like a bargain compared to lawyers who charge $250 per hour. And everyone expects a free lawyer. I have news for you... lawyers didn't spent 7 years in college and law school, spent or borrow $200,000 in tuition, forgo 7 years of money generating work, so they could go do charity cases. If you find a lawyer to do it for less or free, good luck to you. And that doesn't guarantee a win. You may spend $10k on a lawyer, incur 2 years in daily fees, and still lose.

It will be less headache and cheaper to just get the permits and do what they are requiring.

I would start by having a conversation with someone with authority, explain the situation, and see if there's some misunderstanding or a middle ground compromise. If you don't need a permit it can be resolved in a phone call and getting it in writing. If you do need a permit, and you were mistaken or mis-informed, then get the permit. Many times people are mis-informed or misunderstand or "mis-remember" what they are told.

You might need to get a written extension to put in a basic septic system, which you will need ultimately anyway. No need for fines or lawyers, which are wasting resources. Demonstrate a willingness to comply, get your permits, and get a septic crew to work.

Otherwise, sell your property before the state liens it and move somewhere less oppressive. Good luck to you.
Yea not looking for a free lawyer. I get what you're saying.. I don't think anywhere is less oppressive anymore though.. it's all oppressive. What I don't get is they want you to conserve leave a smaller footprint etc... but wait.. only within their rules because they still want your money for their power and water etc

Do you have friends you could stay with for a little while?? Then you aren't living there and the county can pound sand on that score.
Then the building is a storage building under 200sq.ft. so no permit necessary, and that's more sand they can pound.
Move a camp trailer or RV onto the property as your "dwelling" and let the sand pounding continue. You may need to move the trailer once in a while so it isn't "permanent".
Of course check Lewis county laws and make sure you are on the right side of them with all of this.
Again, good luck!!

Do you have friends you could stay with for a little while?? Then you aren't living there and the county can pound sand on that score.
Then the building is a storage building under 200sq.ft. so no permit necessary, and that's more sand they can pound.
Move a camp trailer or RV onto the property as your "dwelling" and let the sand pounding continue. You may need to move the trailer once in a while so it isn't "permanent".
Of course check Lewis county laws and make sure you are on the right side of them with all of this.
Again, good luck!!
Yes I do and that's a good idea thank you!

Yea not looking for a free lawyer. I get what you're saying.. I don't think anywhere is less oppressive anymore though.. it's all oppressive. What I don't get is they want you to conserve leave a smaller footprint etc... but wait.. only within their rules because they still want your money for their power and water etc
It's nuts. The whole tiny house/smaller homes trend is such a win on so many fronts for so many people. But the overlords haven't figured out how to regulate it or collect their money from it yet so many places seem to be very anti tiny home. I'm sorry you're going through all this. Try to stay strong!

Could the ex-husband be the problem?
"local neighbors"
Two of the worst scenarios. I'm sorry for you, and good luck.
Glad you got out from your situation.
As far as the county, they're like the cougar that kills you and drags you to its den. No malice, just doing their job, as heartless as it seems. They don't hassle the people crapping on the sidewalk because the homeless have no assets (in theory) and wind up costing the county much, much more once the county takes action.
As far as psycho exes, there's plenty of company on this forum.

It's nuts. The whole tiny house/smaller homes trend is such a win on so many fronts for so many people. But the overlords haven't figured out how to regulate it or collect their money from it yet so many places seem to be very anti tiny home. I'm sorry you're going through all this. Try to stay strong!
Thank you

Even better if you could change your address to the friends house and pick your mail up there so its technicaly your residence. In oregon if you pull a permit you can live in a trailer or temporary structure while you build but the permit is only good for 180 days i think and work need to be progresing during that time but you can keep pulling permits as they want their money, washingtom may have something similar.

Last Edited:
Two of the worst scenarios. I'm sorry for you, and good luck.
Glad you got out from your situation.
As far as the county, they're like the cougar that kills you and drags you to its den. No malice, just doing their job, as heartless as it seems. They don't hassle the people crapping on the sidewalk because the homeless have no assets (in theory) and wind up costing the county much, much more once the county takes action.
As far as psycho exes, there's plenty of company on this forum.

yea the scenarios are bad, divorce or loose my life. I chose divorce.Thank you and you're right About them doing their jobs..I came home Monday to all my no trespassing signs removed. Doubt they did that but I'm sure it gave them legal access. I could see an issue if I was causing trouble or making a mess or being a nuisance but I'm just keeping to myself. Not harming the environment and paying my taxes. I hate to give up but after 2.5 years and at least 2 of that in what seemed like hell, I'm feeling done.

Even better if you could change your address to the friends house and pick your mail up there so its technicaly your residence. In oregon if you pull a permit you can live in a trailer or temposlrary structure while you build but the permit is only good for 180 days i think and work need to be progresing during that time but you can keep pulling permits as they want their money, washingtom may have something similar.
Thank you ! Great idea! I think it's 180 days here too for the trailer

I built 8 tiny houses in my off seasons and porland is definitely anti tiny house they want the wheels pulled off and it put on a foundation to live in it so its technicaly a permanent structure so they can tax it and are doing everthing they can to kill them but they were fun while it lasted.

yea the scenarios are bad, divorce or loose my life. I chose divorce.Thank you and you're right About them doing their jobs..I came home Monday to all my no trespassing signs removed. Doubt they did that but I'm sure it gave them legal access. I could see an issue if I was causing trouble or making a mess or being a nuisance but I'm just keeping to myself. Not harming the environment and paying my taxes. I hate to give up but after 2.5 years and at least 2 of that in what seemed like hell, I'm feeling done.
Replace the signs. See if you can find some game cameras for your security. If someone's effin' with you and your place, whether it be the county, a neighbor, or the ex, it's time to take legal action and leave no quarter. Your neighbors could understand that.
If you don't already have one, get a restraining order.
Not saying that you haven't been, but it's time to be a mtn lioness.

I built 8 tiny houses in my off seasons and porland is definitely anti tiny house they want the wheels pulled off and it put on a foundation to live in it so its technicaly a permanent structure so they can tax it and are doing everthing they can to kill them but they were fun while it lasted.
Yea it's gotta be about the money it's certainly not health related just an excuse for them

Replace the signs. See if you can find some game cameras for your security. If someone's effin' with you and your place, whether it be the county, a neighbor, or the ex, it's time to take legal action and leave no quarter. Your neighbors could understand that.
If you don't already have one, get a restraining order.
Not saying that you haven't been, but it's time to be a mtn lioness.

Restraining order against the ex was in place for a year expired 2 months ago..court wouldn't extend because he shows living in another county now and he didn't get caught violating it. No trespassing signs going back up tomorrow. Game cams are a great idea!

I think that tiny houses and smaller square foot houses are a great idea and would help solve the housing issues.

Cate

Follow this group. They have tons of ideas to make septic systems with out breaking the bank. There are people from all over the world living off grid.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top