JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As others have said, it depends on the municipality (if you are inside one - living off grid I would assume that you would prefer not to) and county.

The closer to a population center, the more strict the codes become.

I haven't read the whole thread, but there is another aspect of this if you are going to get a mortgage; most lenders will charge more interest for just land, some won't lend for it at all.

Almost all lenders require that any residential building meet code before they will in anyway lend for it - whether construction loan or to buy it. This may be no big deal now if you build yourself with cash, but when you go to sell, if it doesn't meet code and doesn't have a permit, then you might as well tear it down.

When I was house shopping I saw a few properties like this. I know I would not buy a house that was built by an amateur without a permit that wasn't up to code.

In a few places, I have seen localities that forced a house that didn't have a permit, to be torn down.

I have a friend the moved the Midwest and bought some land. They are living in a trailer off the grid while their house is being built next to it. I have another friend that bought land in southern Oregon. They are not allowed to put permanent structures on "their" land but have a trailer for when they go down. They have solar and temporary sewer but no sustaining water source.

Our friend who watches our son a few days a week has been trying to buy land to build a house on outside of vancouver and she was telling me they can't find a 5-10 acres piece of land that doesn't have rules against what animals you can and cannot have, how many and how big of out buildings you can have, etc

Wtf! Isn't that why you buy land outside of town?!

Along these lines. People should be paying attention to these two stories. First one is in regards to the Department of Ecology and the types of animals you can have on your land. The second link is about water rights for rural land owners.

Considering some counties are using Google maps to compare what was on your property years earlier and what's now on your property. I believe they have been doing this in California with swimming pools. Anyhow, both articles (imho) are pertinent to off-grid living or thinking about it.

Watch the video on this first one.
The Washington State Department of Ecology is out of control | We the Governed

Hirst Decision by Washington Supreme Court takes away water | We the Governed

Last Edited:
Ridgefield will be the next salmon creek in 15 years and they don't want filthy animals on every other corner... I'd guess.

Might have better luck in woodland or kalama.

I have noted the growth in that area and it is appalling. Growth is what is killing our natural resources (fish & animals) all for more revenue for the states!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I've wired a couple off grid places up in north woods, above swift. They all had to be permitted.

Even had to pull a permit to add a plug for a fireplace fan. The county permit cost more than the whole job did.
Found this place up in the North woods area. A little too fancy for me though:D

IMG_0613_zpsonwjoock.jpg

The whole idea that you need a "permit" to live in something is so absurd the founding fathers are rolling in their graves.

Don't worry, it's going away in the next revolution.

I know I would not buy a house that was built by an amateur without a permit that wasn't up to code.

I would. You just have it inspected, like any other house. As I said, the house I had in Wyoming had no inspections. It was just a house like any other.
DSCF0005_zpsy19h8tju.jpg

As to amateurs, I built a 1600 sq ft home on Hagg Lake back in the 1980's. Yeah I followed code and yeah I had it inspected (no choice there) but because an amateur builds a home doesn't mean it's no good. The home I'm in now was built by an amateur.

People have this weird idea that life without government is impossible. Government is a net loss for us, not a benefit.

Don't worry, it's going away in the next revolution.

I would. You just have it inspected, like any other house. As I said, the house I had in Wyoming had no inspections. It was just a house like any other.
View attachment 327310

As to amateurs, I built a 1600 sq ft home on Hagg Lake back in the 1980's. Yeah I followed code and yeah I had it inspected (no choice there) but because an amateur builds a home doesn't mean it's no good. The home I'm in now was built by an amateur.

People have this weird idea that life without government is impossible. Government is a net loss for us, not a benefit.
Only problem with no permits is when you sell it.
*There is* a lot of houses in this county that weren't built to code and can't be financed. Not that they aren't safe and sound

Last Edited:
Building codes exist to protect the banks and insurance companies, rather than the buyers/owners. So much of the codes exists either to reduce the risk of financial loss to these two sectors that the escalation of housing costs is driving the first time buyers away.

For instance, arc-fault circuit breakers are now required in new construction (in our area just for bedrooms) when they are so prone to false activation that they are unreliable. This is one example of electrical codes written to profit a manufacturer that has patented a design and wants purchases of it to be mandated by the government at outrageous prices.

How many of you know that the building codes are not developed by the controlling government? They are developed and OWNED by private business. The government just adopts them, and if you want a full copy most governments make you BUY one from the company!

I'll stop now before I get worked up. :rolleyes:

An off the grid community...with an HOA :rolleyes:

Notice their landing page says their property, roads and such are in jeopardy. Already own property with an HOA. Never again.

My post wasn't to sell you on this particular place but rather to illustrate off grid should not be illegal and is actually thriving somewhere.

It would seem the Tiny Home craze is at odds with current building and land use codes. That should indicate that the codes need to be thrown out or amended. Our elected officials forget they are supposed to work for us, not the other way around, and we as a people have forgotten that too - most seem to think we work to benefit the almighty government and allow them to do to us as they please. If there was another massive roundup of population groups - I think half or more would WILLINGLY get in the cattle cars and willingly walk into the ovens, because their government overlords told them to do it.

If you want to live off grid - more power to you. I think a guy who can read a tape measure, read a level, and use a hammer and a saw can put together quite a comfortable home and should not be subject to government mandates. If a guy wants to poop in a composting outhouse, that's his business - and no government stooge should be able to demand he poop in a water wasting toilet. No government stooge should be able to demand you hook up to a public or private electric company if you wish to live free of electricity or prefer to make your own power via wind, solar, or micro-hydro.

The tiny house phase shouldn't last too long.
A lot of money for a place too small for more than one.
(Remember I lived in RVs for years:()
But I get the point
But th out house does or could have impact on the water in the ground,effecting all that are on that aquifer

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top