JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've read/heard that anything over 200sf needs a permit. What about having 2 or 3 non-connected structures, each 200sf? Also, regardless of the number of buildings, it seems a lot of states ban living off the grid period.

Starting to think Alaska is the last place you can really do this. Only problem is that it's cold there. Not bad, but still. It does have a lot of other positives though...

Depends on the county and municipality. There is no state wide building permit except for the UPC . Most places its 200 sq ft but some are less. That is for outbuildings. If you reside in them the 200 ft rule doesnt apply and it has to meet code requirements.

Some places have local codes that.... "require" you to have city services for "sanitary" reasons in dwellings.

So.... check that out as well.

Many places have what is called an "occupancy" permit/license before they "allow" you to move in. Generally means you need sanitation as mentioned septic system or city sewer hookup, potable water either well or city water, electricity via local utility service.

Now, what some people do is get property/acreage and just set a trailer on it. As long as it is on wheels, it doesn't need a permit afaik.

Wyoming (last I heard) only requires permits for well and septic outside of towns; I lived in a home that had never been inspected. In towns they get a bit more fussy about electrical because there are a lot of old dry buildings that could burn down easily. The houses are just as good there as they are here. Hard to believe those houses don't fall down without all that government help...o_O

But that's kinda the point. You go deep into the woods where no one will find you.
No one cares what you do when they don't know what your doing.

Or are we talking off the grid but still in society?

Well you gotta go into town someday ... and no matter how far out ya go the law and rules always seem to catch up with you in the end.
I'm just saying that you can only avoid society and its rules for only so long and that you will eventually have to interact with society someday.
Andy

Last Edited:
Get four or five mini houses and then put a large car port over the top of them so you have a court yard like thing in the middle. If there all on wheels and mobile then they can't do squat ;)

The whole idea that you need a "permit" to live in something is so absurd the founding fathers are rolling in their graves. We have allowed this country to sink to incredible lows in the last 100 years or so.

Our friend who watches our son a few days a week has been trying to buy land to build a house on outside of vancouver and she was telling me they can't find a 5-10 acres piece of land that doesn't have rules against what animals you can and cannot have, how many and how big of out buildings you can have, etc

Wtf! Isn't that why you buy land outside of town?!

We are a nation ruled by control freaks, from both sides of the aisle. And if the government's interference isn't bad enough, people start forming neighborhood associations so they can tell their neighbors what to do. The whole lot is sickening to anyone who truly values freedom!!

Our friend who watches our son a few days a week has been trying to buy land to build a house on outside of vancouver and she was telling me they can't find a 5-10 acres piece of land that doesn't have rules against what animals you can and cannot have, how many and how big of out buildings you can have, etc

Wtf! Isn't that why you buy land outside of town?!

Ridgefield will be the next salmon creek in 15 years and they don't want filthy animals on every other corner... I'd guess.

Might have better luck in woodland or kalama.

Yeah it's pretty sick.

The govt wants to own all land and force people into their control boxes they call cities. Have everyone living in high rise condos, and riding bikes or walking everywhere.

No more America, firearms, and eventually freedom.

I've wired a couple off grid places up in north woods, above swift. They all had to be permitted.

Even had to pull a permit to add a plug for a fireplace fan. The county permit cost more than the whole job did.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top