JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
By Zane Sparling | The Oregonian/OregonLive
An Oregon man whose birthday party ended in bloodshed was sentenced Friday to five years in prison after he pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide in a 2019 killing.
Willie K. Mitchell was marking his 23rd birthday at downtown Portland's Shake Bar on April 18, 2019, when he, his brother and friends became embroiled in a gang brawl between the Hoovers and Bloods outside the Old Town nightclub, The Oregonian/OregonLive previously reported.

Mitchell — an off-duty security guard who had no gang ties himself — pulled a legally-concealed handgun during the melee and fired a single shot, killing 29-year-old Trayontay D. Jones.

Mitchell split his time working as a guard in both Eugene and Portland, according to court records.

Mitchell's defense attorneys have described Jones as a member of the Piru Bloods and argue he was charging at Mitchell when their client opened fire.

In a statement read to the court at sentencing, Jones' girlfriend Whitney Rodgers said she had been calling her partner at 1:53 a.m. on April 19 — the moment he was killed – but didn't know he'd been shot. She went to sleep, woke up alone, and checked the location of Jones' cell phone. It was the State Medical Examiner's Office.

"That morning will forever play in my head," she said. "I will keep your name alive as long as I'm breathing. I'll love you forever."

Jones grew up in Vancouver alongside an identical twin brother and two younger siblings, according to his sister, Consuelo Aguilar. He had 10 children and served as the extended family's "protector," she said.

Jones' mother was still too wracked with grief to attend the hearing, Aguilar said.

Lamont Jones told the court he was driving in Texas when he learned his son had been killed. His mind went blank, he said. Breaking into tears, he said he had found God after his son's death.

"I forgive you, bro. I forgive you," he said, locking eyes with Mitchell, who had been out of custody before trial.

Judge Thomas Ryan sentenced Mitchell to state prison, with credit for time served and earned, as well as good time off and transitional leave. He will be required to pay $5,000 in restitution to the state.

Mitchell's family proclaimed their love to him in the courtroom and exhorted him to stand tall as he was handcuffed and taken into custody at the end of the hearing.

— Zane Sparling; [email protected]; 503-319-7083; @pdxzane

Just speculating but having a gun in a bar and presumably intoxicated (guessing) may have played a roll in the trial. I dunno. 5 years is a long time to serve for protecting yourself.

Next to nothing online about this

I know. I did a quick search, and nothing. All I could find is this and one other article from when it happened.

Shooting someone simply for charging at you will not fair well for the one doing the shooting. Unless the aggressor has a weapon or a serious physical difference and the shooter was scared for their life….. dude messed up way before he even pulled the gun.

Add to that carry a gun with a multitude of highly intoxicated individuals from opposing gangs. Use your head.

And if the shooter was intoxicated as well he's even more of an idiot.

If a gun is the only tool on your belt to deescalate a situation you should just stay home.

Dirt bag is dead and the idiot gets to spend 5 years of his life in jail. No feelings lost on my end from the facts/article that have been presented at this time.

Side note - He would have probably been a good cop. Shoot fast and don't use your brain in a "high stress" scenario.

So... My take away from this is that a 29 year old gang banger with TEN kids was offed presumably (may still be a few more out there that haven't come out of the ovens) before he could produce more welfare recipients.

DSAF,

Shooting someone simply for charging at you will not fair well for the one doing the shooting. Unless the aggressor has a weapon or a serious physical difference and the shooter was scared for their life….. dude messed up way before he even pulled the gun.

Add to that carry a gun with a multitude of highly intoxicated individuals from opposing gangs. Use your head.

And if the shooter was intoxicated as well he's even more of an idiot.

If a gun is the only tool on your belt to deescalate a situation you should just stay home.

Dirt bag is dead and the idiot gets to spend 5 years of his life in jail. No feelings lost on my end from the facts/article that have been presented at this time.

Side note - He would have probably been a good cop. Shoot fast and don't use your brain in a "high stress" scenario.
He's about to get attacked, you don't think that's enough for self defense?

I know. I did a quick search, and nothing. All I could find is this and one other article from when it happened.
This one has a bit more meat in it...
Dude was participant in an active brawl that rolled down the street for a bit... Not an ambush thing...
Kicked one guy in the head - and stayed in the game before drawing his weapon and shooting a guy he was already fighting with...
Left the scene before cops showed - and never made contact with them until he was arrested.

He's about to get attacked, you don't think that's enough for self defense?
Lol no. And neither will a jury.

Now if he is running at you with a weapon, pipe, needle, etc. and showing intent then it's a different story.

But someone simply rushing towards you doesn't warrant the use of deadly force.

Last Edited:
Physical injury or death is likely to occur, so Kyle Rittenhouse should have been found guilty?
One dude swung with a skateboard and the other had a gun…..

Rittenhouse was a dumb a$$ but he was justified in his self defense.

Bad example. How about our favorite, Trayvon Martin?
It's not a popular opinion in this community but you can't just shoot people cause you put yourself in a sh!t situation or because you're scared.

I've done a decent amount of training in this category. And a lot of hands on scenarios as well as real life situations. And I've never shot anyone. Nor do I ever want to. Im no pro but I've learned from my mistakes and have a level head on my shoulder. I avoid conflict/confrontation at all costs. Proper planning prevents piss poor performance. Something like that.

Also an unpopular opinion - just cause you can own and carry a gun doesn't mean you should. There a a lot of emotionally immature individuals out there who can't control their emotions (especially in America today). Also a lot of unfit, soup sandwich, bag of a$$ individuals who can't fight their way out of a paper bag so they carry a gun to "level" the playing field. Cause putting in work/training is too hard and uncomfortable (I'm not talking about elderly or disabled either - cause I know someone will point that out).

It's not a popular opinion in this community but you can't just shoot people cause you put yourself in a sh!t situation or because you're scared.

I've done a decent amount of training in this category. And a lot of hands on scenarios as well as real life situations. And I've never shot anyone. Nor do I ever want to. Im no pro but I've learned from my mistakes and have a level head on my shoulder. I avoid conflict/confrontation at all costs. Proper planning prevents piss poor performance. Something like that.

Also an unpopular opinion - just cause you can own and carry a gun doesn't mean you should. There a a lot of emotionally immature individuals out there who can't control their emotions (especially in America today). Also a lot of unfit, soup sandwich, bag of a$$ individuals who can't fight their way out of a paper bag so they carry a gun to "level" the playing field. Cause putting in work/training is too hard and uncomfortable (I'm not talking about elderly or disabled either - cause I know someone will point that out).
It sounds like there's more to this particular news story, so the following is hypothetical.

You are on the street and randomly attached by an attacker without a weapon. You fear death or serious injury, you do not believe you are justified in lethal force?

It sounds like there's more to this particular news story, so the following is hypothetical.

You are on the street and randomly attached by an attacker without a weapon. You fear death or serious injury, you do not believe you are justified in lethal force?
That's very vague. I would need a lot more info. If I can out run him that's exactly what I'm gunna do.

Side note - Why the dig at the police?
It's not their fault. But their standards and training have dropped. Leaving us with newcomers who are are unable to communicate and deescalate situations. Along with physical and emotional standards.

I respect LE but my opinion of them is slowly eroding as time goes on and the new generation is taking over.

Idk WTH happened at the situation this thread is about…

But, being a responsible person and non antagonistic, if you are within 21' of me and move my way in an aggressive manner then you are now a threat to me. I know because if I'm in under 21' from you and really needed to I could cover the distance and have a knife in hand before you could do anything other then try and retreat or roll back if you know how to draw while doing that.

I think being in a gang fight, affiliated or not, is just dumb and you resort to a firearm then it's no surprise you get convicted.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top