JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good thing the police are exempt from the safe storage laws we peasants are required to abide by.

Hope this link works but it's the top story on Marion County Flash Alerts page.
Screenshot for when it rolls off the front page in a few hours.

Click to enlarge
1652929658518.png

Wow not that much gear. The deputy could have put the gear in a carry bag and bag could be kept inside that their home grab and go if they get called in the middle of the night.

I believe it was in a POV not a squad car… This deputy was obviously pretty complacent. I'm not LE and I wouldn't leave a firearm/gear unsupervised and locked in the trunk of a vehicle in the front of my house….. my guess is some SOPs were broken.

During my time in service, if one left his/her weapon unsecured and it came up missing, there were heavy and severe consequences! Should be the same for those in law enforcement IMO! That was a straight-up bonehead and rookie move on his part!:(

I would think policy would allow them to store that equipment in the trunk of a car so they can be mobilized quicker for emergency situations.
That is a horrible policy if that's the case.

Staging it inside the home by the door would add all of 30 seconds to his response time. At minimum the rifle should be removed from the vehicle each night.

To start with, most rigs now days do not have a trunk as I drive a Jeep TJ and my wife a Mazda SUV and a lot of folks have trucks and it did say it was their POV.

But I do agree a basic gear bag by the front door would have been a better option even if for nothing else but the rifle.

The article also does not say if they were at home, a friend's house or a motel so there could have been other reasons he did not take the items out of the car, there is still no excuse but we are left to make assumptions.

While I would "hope" it was in a trunk? I still can't for the life of me understand the rifle. The gear? OK, maybe. As mentioned he could easily have a gear bag and just leave it by the door. The rifle is the really bad one. If that rifle ends up at some high profile crime the tax payers will be expected to pay out.

While I would "hope" it was in a trunk? I still can't for the life of me understand the rifle. The gear? OK, maybe. As mentioned he could easily have a gear bag and just leave it by the door. The rifle is the really bad one. If that rifle ends up at some high profile crime the tax payers will be expected to pay out.
Yes, very true!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top