JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

"I can't function as a normal human being."..."But I can tell you that if I go two days without taking my medication, I can't walk in the door of this building. I can't get up in the morning. I can't take a shower."

These are the words of Senator Elizabeth Steiner Hayward, who says she suffers from "major depression."

Hayward also claims that both she and her husband "own weapons."

Certainly this has the potential to be a volatile combination and it is our hope that Hayward is getting adequate treatment and that the "weapons" she keeps in her home are not accessible to her. (Based on her comments she almost certainly would be denied a concealed handgun license anywhere in the state.) But apparently Hayward believes that her disability should be projected onto gun owners in Oregon.
Dr. Steiner Hayward Hayward is the chief sponsor of SB 945, a bill that would send you to prison if a minor were to access a firearm you owned. The bill is scheduled for a public hearing and work session on Thursday, April 16th at 8am in the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Given Hayward's admission of her own inability to "function as a normal human being" without her medication, it seems odd and hypocritical that she would limit the punishments created in the bill, to guns acquired by minors.
Why not punish people who allow access to firearms by people who suffer from depression and "can't take a shower" without medicine?

It is also disturbing that while attempting to stigmatize gun owners, Hayward ignores all the other things that a child, or mentally unsound adult, could acquire in a home and hurt themselves or others with.
Ironically, Hayward is a physician. One would think she would be more concerned about deaths by overdoses of drugs, especially the kind of drugs the she herself is authorized to prescribe.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, drug overdoses were the leading cause of injury death in 2013. Among people 25 to 64 years old, drug overdoses caused more deaths than motor vehicle crashes.

Of the 43,982 overdose deaths in 2013, over half of them were related to prescription drugs, a vastly larger number of deaths than caused by minors' access to firearms. According to a Washington Post story, (no friend to gun owners) in 2011 there were a total of 591 accidental gun deaths. A tragically high number to be sure, but dwarfed by the number of deaths caused by doctor prescribed drugs.

Add to this the staggering number of people who die every year as a result of mistakes made by doctors and it becomes clear that Hayward has little interest in reducing deaths, only in attacking gun owners.

A simple change to the bill would require that, in addition to firearms, people should be prosecuted if they do not lock up drugs. Of course, this same logic could be extended to people who don't safeguard knives, hammers and the keys to their car. How many juveniles die every year after gaining access to their parent's vehicles?

Hayward is also a sponsor of SB 941, the "universal background check" bill due to be voted on on Tuesday in the Senate. This is another ironic twist. You see, under that bill, it would be illegal for you to safeguard a firearm for a friend who is experiencing an episode of the very kind of depression Hayward claims makes it impossible for her to "go to work" without medication.

If a friend came to you one night and asked if you would please put his gun in your safe until his mental state improved, you would be forbidden from doing so unless you conducted a background check on yourself. Of course, it better be before 10PM or that would be impossible, and if you were a victim of one of the Oregon State Police's many delays or denials, you would have to tell your friend that the law prohibited you from helping them.

Hayward's struggle with depression and her reliance on drugs to function "normally" is serious and tragic, but her focus on attacking the rights of gun owners is misguided, counterproductive and clearly the result of a political agenda far more than a desire to reduce deaths.

Please consider contacting Senator Hayward and suggesting she concentrate on solving the problems of prescription drug overdoses and doctor errors, which cause far more deaths than accidents with firearms.

Email : [email protected]
Phone: 503-986-1717

Dear Senator Hayward,

It is troubling that, while seeking to punish gun owners when minors access their firearms, you have made no effort to force people to safeguard prescription drugs, tools, knives or their cars, all of which are responsible for far more deaths than firearms acquired by minors.

If you are really interested in saving lives, why not address the countless deaths caused every year by doctors' mistakes?

Why are you also promoting SB 941, which would make it illegal to safeguard a firearm for a friend who was suffering from a bout of depression?

Your policies are driven by agendas rather than any desire to reduce deaths. I urge you to reconsider these dangerous positions.

Yours,

and How does she know what would happen after two days without meds I wonder. Probably because it has happened. And those are the obvious, visible symptoms----what about the gradual deterioration of her physical condition and more important the decrease in reality and mental processes that would affect rational thinking and decision making.

maybe that is why her stance on vaccination was "different" for her and more restrictive for the public. Exactly the same scenario as her owning guns when mentally unstable.

These people must be made to live under their own dictates

^^^Apparently us Oregonians. Not to sound like every generation's elders, but this world is becoming more and more insane every day....and I'm saying that with careful consideration and not emotion.

Gun control advocates are a one trick pony. By deflecting blame and focus away from her mental state, and inability to function with out psychotropic drugs, and by focusing on the idea " if we eliminate guns from society, everything will be fine", they truly think that will take all the focus off the many above mentioned problems, that contribute far more harm to society that simple gun possession.

And unfortunately, it works for most of the liberal pablum drinking voters in the high population counties. These voters have no problem trying to eliminate ALL your 2A rights, just in incremental baby steps, " so nobody really notices".

My state politicians are going to vote for both 941 and 945, so convincing them otherwise is a lost cause. That said, I figured I should see if they are actually about saving the children, I doubt that they are, but I sent them this:

SB945 requires locking up firearms to prevent access to a minor, but what about people with mental health issues? What about someone that has serious depression? SB945 should not only be about limiting access of firearms to minors, but also about limiting access to individuals on medications for mental health issues such as someone that battles depression.

One of your collegues, Senator Elizabeth Steiner, a gun owner, has stated:
"I can tell you that if I go two days without taking my medication, I can't walk in the door of this building. I can't get up in the morning. I can't take a shower. I can't function as a normal human being."

As a responsible gun owner, this is very startling to me, I honestly hope that her husband locks up the guns in order to prevent a tragedy such as the Newtown or Clackamas County mall shooting. I don't even think that the state of Oregon would issue her a concealed handgun license per ORS 166.291(j) since she is taking prescription drugs to combat depression, which is a mental illness.
http://nwnewsnetwork.org/post/mental-health-debate-personal-one-oregon-lawmaker
<broken link removed>

While we're at it, I also support adding to the bill locking up prescription drugs. According to the CDC in 2013, two million American's abused painkillers, and each day 7,000 people were treated in the ER due to prescription drugs being used in a manner other than directed. Oregon has approximately 4 million inhabitants, and assuming that prescription drug users are evenly distributed, two million drug abusers of the 320 million American's is 0.6%, which means that Oregon has some 25,000 prescription drug abusers annually. SB941 and SB945 are both about preventing access to firearms, but firearms deaths are barely a statistic when compared to deaths from doctors, obesity, alcohol, prescription drugs, etc.
http://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/epidemic/index.html

I implore you to add these common sense amendments to SB945 in order to protect lives, and remember, it's for the children.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top