JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Clackamas County Gun Owners need your help to get the commissioners to get this passed as it has already in many other counties.

Today Polk County agreed to pass a <broken link removed>. The actually signing is expected tomorrow. Our sincere thanks to everyone who came to support this declaration of freedom and very special thanks to Micky Garus of <broken link removed> who worked so hard to make this happen. You are all a testimony to the power of grassroots activism.

Clackamas County

Also today was a discussion of a pro-gun resolution by the <broken link removed>

No action was taken today, they will be hearing public testimony on Feb. 19 at 6PM. Based on what we heard at today's discussion, we'd better be prepared to have lots of public testimony.

The <broken link removed> in question is a good start but needs to go a lot further. Let's try to get the rational members of the commission to consider that.

"Rational" is a key word here.

The discussion started with the Chair, John Ludlow, and Commissioner Tootie Smith, explaining the intent of the resolution. From there, things got weird.

Commissioner Martha Schrader, ex-wife of anti-gun Congressman Kurt Schrader, launched into a bizarre ramble that was clearly taken from a badly written Wikipedia page, explaining (horribly) the history of the musket.

What first seemed simply inappropriate, soon became incoherent until someone finally interrupted her to ask if she was "filibustering."

It became clear eventually that Schrader was trying to make the point that modern firearms were far more dangerous than the firearms used in the War of Independence and therefor, of course, had to be treated differently. There was some oblique reference to bayonets.

Schrader repeatedly mentioned that her family members owned guns (though she was "not allowed" to have them.)

Schrader has made a habit of parroting anti-gun extremist, Floyd Prozanski, by claiming she is not "anti-gun" and then going on to insist on all kinds to rights restrictions.

Schrader made several demands that a list of "gun owner responsibilities" be included in any Second Amendment Resolution. This was motivated by her desire to require that firearms be locked up, a position she takes because her 12 year old nephew accidentally shot and killed himself when his parents irresponsibly left a loaded firearm where an untrained child had access to it.

While certainly tragic, this event has led Schrader to conclude that all junior high school age kids are "nuts" and can't be trusted. An assertion she might reconsider if she ever visited the gun club in her own town, where every year dozens of young people responsibly handle firearms at hunter safety training.

Schrader also repeatedly referred to the US Constitution as a "living document." (Meaning, anything she decides it means at any given moment.)

Schrader's breath-taking ignorance of reality was demonstrated over and over as she suggested that gun owners are "paranoid" if they think anyone wants to take their guns. Apparently she was on leave when <broken link removed> was introduced a few years ago banning all modern firearms and authorizing warrantless searches of gun owners' homes.

She also must not be reading the news from places where <broken link removed> are becoming an everyday occurrence. In a response to a comment by Chairman John Ludlow, Schrader demonstrated a total and complete lack of knowledge of American history when she declared that the "militia" was the National Guard!

Schrader also commented that if the Clackamas County Commissioners were to pass a pro-rights resolution they should expect retribution from her Democratic colleagues in the Oregon Legislature.

Commissioner Jim Bernard agreed with most of what Schrader said and threw in a few comments of his own indicating his complete lack of knowledge about firearms while claiming he had a "hunting rifle." (Bernard has stated he will not be at the Feb 19th meeting.)

The Clackamas County Sheriff sent an undersheriff to answer questions. The one point he made was that if a "universal background check" were to pass, the Clackamas County Sheriff would not have the manpower to enforce it.

The display of misinformation on the part of several people at this meeting was disturbing. We believe there will be a well organized effort to derail this resolution. So we need to get to work.

If you can be at the <broken link removed> on Feb. 19th at 6PM please come and testify in favor. Please ask them to include a specific notice of opposition to any expansion of the failed background check system.

Please contact the commissioners with a message of support.

Email address and a suggested message you can cut and paste or alter follow.

<broken link removed>

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Commissioners,
Thank you for joining many other Oregon Counties and considering a resolution defending my Second Amendment Rights.
Please make this resolution as direct and strong as possible. I urge you to include a specific objection to any expansion of Oregon's failed "background check" system.
I also urge you to not allow this resolution to become a vehicle for a list of demands on gun owners to lock up their defensive firearms.

While the loss of Commissioner Schrader's nephew to a firearm's accident was certainly tragic, it is not proof that all firearms owners are irresponsible.

The Democrats in the Oregon Legislature have promised to introduce and pass bills attacking my rights. Please stand proudly against them.

Yours,

Using her logic the 1A should be regulated and restricted too. Afterall, there is NO WAY the Founders had ANY clue about TV, radio, the Internet, offset printing presses, email, computers/printers, telephones, video/audio recording, microphones, bullhorns, lighted billboards, aerial advertising, mini/hidden cameras.... Paparazzi. :rolleyes:

I definately don't agree with everything he says/does, but as for Rep. Kurt Schrader being anti-gun? FYI- at a town hall meeting in Salem a couple years back I personally watched him go head to head with an anti-2A blow-hard during the last full-on anti-assault weapons "wave", stating that he didn't think we needed anymore gun laws and that the ones we have should be enforced instead.

See the latest OFF ALERT.
Ceasefire Oregon is on the attack with lies and other typical leftist tactics.
Please get calls and letters going to the Clackamas County Commissioners and aak them to support the resolution supporting our 2 nd Amendment.
Time is short and a little pressure is what will help this succeed as it has in many other Oregon Counties.

Please send letters and make phone calls to them now to make sure this passes. Ceasefire is trying to stop it.
Don't let the Bloomberg witch hunt harm Oregon

Thanks to all who are reaching out to the Clackamas County Commissioners and telling then NO restrictions to the Second Amendment.

But we still have a ways to go.

We need to keep the pressure on ALL Oregon County Commissioners that have not yet adopted a pro-Second Amendment resolution.

You can check the status of your County at - http://www.oregonfirearms.org/counties-pro-gun-ordinances-proclamations-resolutions-letters
If your not sure who your County Commissioners are or how to reach them, a quick Google search will tell you.

Sen Prozanski and Ceasefire are going to pull out all stops and come up with more fabricated lies and distorted half truths to push their agenda.
Let's not give up until all Counties in Oregon send a clear message to Salem.

My letter:

Honorable Commissioners,
I strongly urge you to support a resolution in support of our 2nd Amendment rights. The tyranny of the majority in the State of Oregon is something that must be addressed. With little knowledge of firearms and the realities of their ownership and use, people in our largest population centers are easily swayed by a torrent of inaccurate and emotional advertising that promises them safety from objects they have been taught to irrationally fear. Indeed, that ignorance seems to be prevalent even among our elected representatives.

Yes, there have been a few tragic accidents involving firearms, but such accidents are far down the list of causes of death and injury for children, which is headed by such things as automobile accidents, poisonous chemicals, and swimming pools. I don't see our state legislators calling for laws, or billionaires financing ballot campaigns for more stringent child passenger safety or banning swimming pools. Instead, they concentrate on what they irrationally fear most, and what they believe they can scare people into banning, firearms.

Our present background check system for firearms purchases is a dismal failure. It produces hundreds for false alarms (confused identity, errors in records, incomplete records) for every legitimate refusal. On those few occasions where a felon is identified when trying to buy a firearm, there has been very little follow through, and even fewer arrests. None of the recent mass shootings and other high profile criminal activity in Oregon or elsewhere would have been affected or prevented by increased background checks. A mass murderer or a bank robber is not going to cancel his plans because he can't legally buy a gun at the local gun shop.

Guns are not inherently evil. A gun is a tool in the same class as a chain saw or a claw hammer. Any tool can be misused by criminals. More stringent gun laws serve only to inconvenience law abiding citizens, and deprive them of the right to defend themselves from violence and crime. Please voice your support of our Constitutional rights as law abiding citizens of the United States by endorsing a strongly worded resolution protecting those rights.

The fact of the matter is that every County Commissioner took an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, This includes the Bill of Rights of which our Second Amendment is part of. It is NOT a County Commissioners prerogative to interpret it any different than the way the Framers wrote it. The US Supreme Court has already upheld that in District of Columbia vs Heller among others.

Please inform your County Commissioner to uphold the oath they took.

My letters will be going out this weekend. Same goes for the letter I owe to the Clackamas County Sheriff, encouraging him to vocally support and promising to defend our rights.

I sure pray everyone keeps the calls and emails and hard copy letters going. Clackamas is a bit tougher to push into a pro gun stance than many other counties in Oregon, but it is very doable. It is not as far gone as Multnomah or Lane counties are. It is still savable with some help and effort.
Please put on the pressure.

I sure pray everyone keeps the calls and emails and hard copy letters going. Clackamas is a bit tougher to push into a pro gun stance than many other counties in Oregon, but it is very doable. It is not as far gone as Multnomah or Lane counties are. It is still savable with some help and effort.
Please put on the pressure.
Tootie Smith and John Ludlow are solid 2nd Amendment supporters. Schafer and Bernard are political hacks and whack jobs. It'll be a battle.

Tootie Smith and John Ludlow are solid 2nd Amendment supporters. Schafer and Bernard are political hacks and whack jobs. It'll be a battle.

Yeah. Known John for a long time. Since he was a realtor in Wilsonville. It can be done but it will take all the help we all can get and give. Too close to the Lil Pyongyang on the Willy. The ooze seeps over continually.
I wish we could be more like some of our southwestern and Eastern county's that still value this country.
We need to draw conservative pro gun people to the area in droves.

Here's what the Democratic party of Clackamas County is sending out:

Hello All,
In anticipation of an effort to pass a Background Check bill in the 2015 legislative session, Chair Ludlow has scheduled a discussion item on a 2nd Amendment resolution for the February 19, 2015 Board of Commissioners Business Meeting. This gives us the opportunity to provide feedback and comments on the proposed resolution. Christopher Proudfoot, sent me the information below. He is the Campaign Mgr. to Martha Schrader who will be running for reelection next year.
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:
In anticipation of gun control legislation at the state and federal legislatures responding to the 2012 shootings in Newtown, Connecticut and the Clackamas Town Center, several Oregon Counties are adopting resolutions affirming support of the 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article 1, Section 27 of the Oregon Constitution.

The intent of other counties is to formulate an ordinance to deny "the use of County funds or resources which may support or enforce additional restrictions" pertaining to the use of firearms. Lane County and Yamhill County are considering similar resolutions.

Due to Commissioner Bernard being away, Commissioner Martha Schrader will be the only Democrat at this upcoming meeting. She has reached out to us to have people come out and oppose this resolution. Please join me if you are able to attend. If not, you can still let your voice be heard on this.
meeting details:

DATE: FEBRUARY, 19, 2015, THURSDAY
TIME: 6:00 P.M.
ADDRESS: 2015 KAEN ROAD
OREGON CITY, OREGON

Time for those of us who care about this issue to make it a point to be there.

I had a nice talk with The Sheriff, Craig Roberts, today where I work, and Asked him to please support this resolution.
He is looking into it and apparently has a meeting with John sometime soon.
He did not seem to oppose it in any way. Some things he said actually were pretty positive.
I actually smiled at a few comments, but can't discuss those here :) I have hope for him :)

This in one to stay on top of.
Getting this passed in Clackamas County will send a
Message to surrounding counties that we stand and
fight for our rights.

Bump - Reminder, this Thursday, 6pm - the more in support of a pro-gun resolution the better. We have a guy who could be swayed either way and Schrader has asked the Dems to mobilize folks to the same meeting (which they've already done in a letter) in support of her anti-gun views. Let's show them how many we can mobilize and get that swing vote on our side! Let's pack that room out! It would send a big message to Salem if Clackamas County passes the pro-gun resolution.

Bump - Reminder, this Thursday, 6pm - the more in support of a pro-gun resolution the better. We have a guy who could be swayed either way and Schrader has asked the Dems to mobilize folks to the same meeting (which they've already done in a letter) in support of her anti-gun views. Let's show them how many we can mobilize and get that swing vote on our side! Let's pack that room out! It would send a big message to Salem if Clackamas County passes the pro-gun resolution.

This one is the most significant so far - parts of Portland are in Clackamas County. Passage or failure here is key to both sides from the statewide perspective. I will be there.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top