JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For my whole life I was in strong opposition to off-body carry.
However, due to my L5-S1 troubles I can't carry on my belt now.
So I have decided to try off-body carry and bought Vertx Transit Sling EDC.
Just got it yesterday.
At least it doesn't look tactikewl. arf.gif

Last Edited:
Been OTB carrying while working and during other physical activities for a while now. I fell off a roof about 3-4 years ago and it took about a year and a half for my back to get back to normal so I understand your discomfort completely. Found out I had no L5 (fused) and had severely herniated my L4. Belts, sitting, standing quickly, running, drawing from my hip and even slightly twisting my waist.. all that was out the window for a long time. It sucked.

Nothing wrong with OTB carry at all. Lots of guys think its an easy way to get robbed.. but if your situational awareness and constant awareness of your bag proximity is tuned in, there are no issues.

It takes some getting used to, but its just another method of carry. I have a whole box of holsters that Ive gone through testing different carry methods. Even got a couple concealed carry fanny packs, (yeah I know I know).. I wear them at the beach or when hiking and surprisingly they are a great inconspicuous carry option compared to IWB/OWB holstered options.

I have a maxpidition fat boy and find it very useful in some situations.

Took it to a concert where they were doing pat downs and bag checks.

Took the main pocket flap and pulled it back over the gun pocket zipper and held it up for them to inspect. Took a little glance and waved me on. My wife was a little worried I'd get kicked out if they found it. In Portland and Seattle all the hipsters carry satchel type bags anyway so it blends more then stands out.

I also like it during our hotter days when I want a full size pistol and not just a pocket sized one.

And it keeps my pockets empty since I can toss my wallet and whatever in it also.

Not a fan of off body carry for obvious reasons. Have you tried AIWB? I find way less painful on the lower back that on the traditional strong side, I believe it to be a center of balance thing. A shoulder holster would be another option.

Not a fan of off body carry for obvious reasons. Have you tried AIWB? I find way less painful on the lower back that on the traditional strong side, I believe it to be a center of balance thing. A shoulder holster would be another option.
I found shoulder holsters not practical. They only serve good those anti-gun Hollywood actors who built their careers playing tough detectives or bearded specop retirees. When you run, the whole harness dangles and you feel yourself like a carriage horse.
As of appendix carry, I don't like it either. One gun in my pants is enough.

Last Edited:
I carry off body because I wear fitting clothes, like the option of taking my jacket or overshirt off, like to bend over, sit down and maybe even hug people. I also don't really carry outside of my commute and work day, so everything lives in a similar kind of pack. Having an immediate draw is less of a priority for me.

Gotta make decisions that work for you.

I found shoulder holsters not practical. They only serve good those anti-gun Hollywood actors who built their careers playing tough detectives or bearded specop retirees. When you run, the whole harness dangles and you feel yourself like a carriage horse.
As of appendix carry, I don't like it either. One gun in my pants is enough.

Shoulder holsters are niche holsters, one either has a need or not.

For "off body" checkout Hazard 4 evac series, something like the Plan B or Rocket (dig my Rocket 17). The tall narrow shape is intend to be low profile for darting in and out of a crowd and the sling style allows the bag to be brought around to your front for quick entrance of a vehicle, maintain security of your bag while seated in public and allow semi-rapid access to your weapon. Similar concept of the bag you posted.
CCW-Bags

Last Edited:
Shoulder holsters are niche holsters, one either has a need or not.

For "off body" checkout Hazard 4 evac series, something like the Plan B or Rocket (dig my Rocket 17). The tall narrow shape is intend to be low profile for darting in and out of a crowd and the sling style allows the bag to be brought around to your front for quick entrance of a vehicle, maintain security of your bag while seated in public and allow semi-rapid access to your weapon. Similar concept of the bag you posted.
CCW-Bags
Those are cool, but look too tacticool.
I choose Transit Sling to not draw the attention.

That is one carry method I haven't invested in yet but would like to.
What holster rig do you use?
Should holsters are great. Actually the most comfortable method of carry I have found(using a leather of good quality).
The problem is I don't wear a jacket 24/7 or it would be the only way I carried.
Works great for cold weather and driving, other than that a hip holster works better for my attire.

I'd recommend Armadillo holsters if you want to try a leather shoulder holster, $100 less than Galco and good leather.
Depending on your body size and gun you might want to go vertical vs horizontal, I bought a horizontal for a Springfield 1911 a while back,but should have gone with vertical. (the long 5" barrel poked out the back of my jacket,IE not as concealed as I wanted)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top