JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wanted to give you guys the heads up on Oregon Firearms Academy's class--Basic Wilderness Survival, mainly because if you're on this particular subforum then you probably want to get your self enrolled.

First off, I am not in any way affiliated with OFA. I've only taken two classes there, but so far I've been very impressed. The facilities are top notch, the instructors are outstanding and overall my feeling is that it's probably some of the best training available on the west coast, perhaps nationwide.

The title "Basic Wild," as it's commonly referred to, is a little misleading because this class is less like "setting up a tent, finding a camp spot...etc. etc." and a lot more like a total introductory immersion into both the entire mindset of survival AND the logistical/planning angle of the endeavor to live through TEOTWAWKI or SHTF of GOOD or whatever your preferred euphemism is for emergencies.

I've been studying survival and emergency preparedness for more than five years and it's a flat fact that I would have saved thousands of dollars and untold research/internet time (probably several hundred hours) if I had just started with this class. What's more is that even though I'm pretty well caught up on the cutting edge of things I had made some potentially catastrophic errors in my decision making that, had I not taken this class now and thus corrected them, could have resulted in some serious pain and suffering come the moment of truth.

My guess is that a lot of people think the class is going to be about making fires or shelters (apparently there's a really good module on this later in the series) but in actuality this first class is about planning and it is with this most fundamental component to survival that I think most people are entirely clueless. Yes, including myself. Be the first the to admit it.

If you've been hunting and camping and fishing over the years you're probably just assuming 'Oh, I can handle it.' And for most outdoors people getting a fire started and throwing up a tent is maybe no big deal. That's not what this class is about at all though and to make the above assumption might prove to be a major mistake down the road.

It's about managing and maintaining the survival of yourself and your loved ones when/if this country is reduced---be it overnight or slow boil---to a third world country. If you don't believe that's a very real potential reality, then keep doing what you're doing. If, on the other hand, you've got any suspicions that maybe, just maybe things aren't going quite as they should in these our United States then you seriously need to check into this series of classes. Again, especially if you've been studying this stuff and learning from the 'collective genius' of the internet take some time and consider getting some real education because a lot of the assumptions people are making are not going to hold water in reality.

Unless you've got four or five years of experience surviving under the harshest possible hostile conditions OR you happen to be so loaded that you've got a personal well being contract with Blackwater---then just trust me, you can't go wrong with Basic Wild. Affordable, local to the Northwest and the instructor is world-class, over the top good.

That's my report. PM me with questions and if I can answer them I'll do my best.

Wheeler, it's hard to describe in depth, because Joel(the instructor) tailors it somewhat to each class, depending on the knowledge base and interest of the people in the class.
I was initially disappointed a bit, because I had thought this class would focus more on the details of outdoor survival, but it ended up being so much more valuable than that.
Joel is someone who has walked the walk, he isn't just blowing hot air. The guy knows his stuff. If he doesn't know the answer to something(and I did manage, after the class, to stump him), he will find out the correct answer, and get back to you.
Water storage, survival mindset, getting your basic preps right, it really depends on what you want to get out of the class.

I was in the same class and I agree with this report. I keep going over things a week later. The big thing I took away was about defining your mission (something stressed in other fire-arms based courses at OFA, often to my own initial confusion): What are you trying to accomplish? What are your assets and liabilities? What are the work-arounds for your liabilities? Joel encouraged people to start from where they were at. He talked about preparation if you were an apartment dweller. He talked about helping an older couple with some mobility issues develop a plan. Then he kept saying, it's not a plan if it doesn't have a back-up plan.
The other aspect that Joel and Dan emphasized alot was the importance of community, a group of like minded people, a larger network of contacts.Also preparing so that you can offer assistance to others who need help. We are not going to make it without community, I believe that. :s0155:

I took the course last year, and I agree with everything you just said. Top notch instruction, from top quality instructors.

+1. I took this class last fall and fully support what the other posters have said.

Whether you are planning to bug-in or bug-out this class will help you to prepare. Well worth the time and $.

Thanks for the great reviews and comments guys...just an FYI we're trying to fit 1100 pounds of info/topics/subjects in a 10 pound bag. There is a reason this is in a series and the basic class is just an intro.

In Wild One we'll spend three days together in the wild and invest more time and energy into actual wildernss survivial coupled with learning the fundamentals of base camp security (which will apply in an urban environment if you chose to bug in).

Let's see...Friday, Saturday, and Sunday...well technically not quite three days because we start at noon on Friday and end at noon on Sunday but we're together day/nite for 48 hours.

Yep and what is even better is after two days of eat'n wild berry's and hickory nuts like Yule Gibbons you can eat all the biscuits and gravy you want and wash er down with hot coffee by the camp fire on Sunday morning supplied by the OFA crew. OFA DAN makes a tasty sausage gravy!

My buddies and I have emailed Vivian down at OFA to try to get another basic wild course soon (at least in 2010)...there isn't one on the books at this time, but if enough people emailed them, perhaps they'd offer another one. This is one of the MANY courses at OFA that I'm itchin' to take several times.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top