JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We are honored when Sgt. Daren Roeser from the Southeast Precinct - Portland Police Bureau attended Defensive Handgun 3 this past summer...we were even more honored when he wrote and published an unsolicited article about his experience about this class on page 10 of "The Rap Sheet" which is the offical publication of the Portland Police Bureau Assocation.

Daren is an excellent tactician and a superb writer. I told him if his career as a LEO doesn't work out for him he ought to take up a career writing! I think you'll concur.

Enjoy the article. Our thanks to Daren and Det. Pete Simpson (the editor) for allowing us to share this.

Dan

Article Link:
http://www.oregonfirearmsacademy.com/rapsheet.PDF

OFA is a Proud Paid Sponsor of Northwest Firearms Forum!

We are honored when Sgt. Daren Roeser from the Southeast Precinct - Portland Police Bureau attended Defensive Handgun 3 this past summer...we were even more honored when he wrote and published an unsolicited article about his experience about this class on page 10 of "The Rap Sheet" which is the offical publication of the Portland Police Bureau Assocation.

Daren is an excellent tactician and a superb writer. I told him if his career as a LEO doesn't work out for him he ought to take up a career writing! I think you'll concur.

Enjoy the article. Our thanks to Daren and Det. Pete Simpson (the editor) for allowing us to share this.

Dan

Interesting article about OFA.

It's nice that the courses are mixed(LEO and civilian). Having been in policing and now private armed security, I can understand the author's observations regarding the shoot house scenarios. Sure makes you think about what you are getting into. Great instruction, done with real concern for people's safety.

If Sgt. Roeser thinks DH-3 is a challenge, he should try the handgun/knife course and scenarios at Close Encounters of The Worst Kind(CEOTWK). Knives are very fast and scary. Feel free to ask about, "Nice Group". A lesson well learned by yours truly.

Peter,
aka Nice Group!

I think I just found out what I want for a Christmas gift!

..and Valentines day, and my birthday and anniversary ...
I have a question for you though, OFADAN:

Which course should I start with? I'm ex UK military and have a lot of assault rifle experience, both on static ranges and live firing exercises but am relatively new to handguns.
I think my weapons handling is above average, just from applying my previous experience, but my hangun shooting experience is lacking, especially in the realm of self defense - all my other training has been mostly aggressive/offensive, even in a defensive situation.

ORBrit,

Thanks for your interest. I'm confident you'd find the Defensive Handgun 1 a great place to start. It wouldn't be too basic for you because the handgun skills introduced are foundational for the later upper level skills. Plus it is built around what we know as current "state-of-the-art" fundamental defensive handgun skills. We've had a number of former and current military folks attend this course including some folks with very high security clearances and who assignments are very covert and they said they learned a great deal. Generally speaking many of the NATO's nation's military handgun training was and in many cases still is very rudimentary. In fact, most current US handgun training is still done on a cold range! We've had several individuals who are former UK military and law enforcement so I'm making a judgement based upon what I know about their skills. Ocanada is a former Bobby from England and I'm certain he would concur.

Incidently DH1 is the most repeated and our second most popular class. Even after people advance upwards into the higher level courses they repeat this class...for example the first time they take DH1 they use a semi-auto on their strong side, they repeat the class with a revolver on the strong side (different skill sets) they they repeat it later on using a semi all support side carry, then a revolver support side carry, then they repeat it again with a smaller back up pistol either pocket carry or ankle.

Honestly I confident you won't be disappointed with DH1. If I'm wrong...I'll make it up too you!

Thanks for the infromative reply. I'm sure you are absolutely correct in your assessment.
My handgun experience prior to moving to Oregon was a couple times a year performing qualification shoots with the Browning Hi Power. Just fine if you're a target shooter!

I'll check out the schedule to see what will work. I see a defensive shotgun course in my future too!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top