JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just returned from re-taking Defensive Handgun 3 at Oregon Firearms Academy, after a couple of years away from formal training.
I've been taking classes with OFA since my first Basic Handgun Safety course in 2008. I brought my big boat anchor Ruger GP100 to that one, which I had intended to use as a conceal carry piece (coming from a non-gun environment and raised on 1950's cowboy movies, a gun meant a revolver like Hoppalong Cassidy carried)... OK, it's been a few years.

Short takeaway from DH3? We worked on the same fundamentals we learned in DH2 and DH1. What? No cool-guy you tube gun handling? Well, when, in DH3, targets start moving and shooters are moving, and non-shoot innocents are moving too, then getting the 4-point draw stroke down tighter, so you don't sweep your hand or knee when your grip is getting sweaty starts to look pretty important. Likewise trigger control for accuracy in a chaotic situation - fundamental and also glaringly crucial. Want to be fast? Do a tactical reload without wasted motion - harder to do than to say.

The force-on-force scenarios are not airsoft slug fests at OFA. Instead of training gunfighter ninjas, these experiences are designed to produce thinkers. I know that I will take all the help I can get in that department. I've messed up in every scenario I've gone through at OFA and I still run them through my mind years later. Combine the social conditioning to be 'nice' and 'polite' with the false sense of thinking I am a bad dude 'cause I have a gun - and all kinds of idiocy can ensue. Better to learn this stuff in a class instead of the street.
Go to OFA. Learn. You need to do this.

Just returned from re-taking Defensive Handgun 3 at Oregon Firearms Academy, after a couple of years away from formal training.
I've been taking classes with OFA since my first Basic Handgun Safety course in 2008. I brought my big boat anchor Ruger GP100 to that one, which I had intended to use as a conceal carry piece (coming from a non-gun environment and raised on 1950's cowboy movies, a gun meant a revolver like Hoppalong Cassidy carried)... OK, it's been a few years.

Short takeaway from DH3? We worked on the same fundamentals we learned in DH2 and DH1. What? No cool-guy you tube gun handling? Well, when, in DH3, targets start moving and shooters are moving, and non-shoot innocents are moving too, then getting the 4-point draw stroke down tighter, so you don't sweep your hand or knee when your grip is getting sweaty starts to look pretty important. Likewise trigger control for accuracy in a chaotic situation - fundamental and also glaringly crucial. Want to be fast? Do a tactical reload without wasted motion - harder to do than to say.

The force-on-force scenarios are not airsoft slug fests at OFA. Instead of training gunfighter ninjas, these experiences are designed to produce thinkers. I know that I will take all the help I can get in that department. I've messed up in every scenario I've gone through at OFA and I still run them through my mind years later. Combine the social conditioning to be 'nice' and 'polite' with the false sense of thinking I am a bad dude 'cause I have a gun - and all kinds of idiocy can ensue. Better to learn this stuff in a class instead of the street.
Go to OFA. Learn. You need to do this.

I couldn't have said it any better. I defy anybody to train at OFA and walk away saying they didn't learn anything. And if you put $21 a month away you've got the cost covered to train once a year. Plus the ammo, but you know you were going to buy that ammo anyways.

I took DH1 at OFA, and I'm darn glad I did. Great course taught by great instructors. I'm hoping to have a chance to take DH2 this coming spring. Highly recommended.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top