JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Our current system is based on fuel usage and it's relationship to road use. I would think the monitoring would be more applicable to electric and hybrid vehicles since they're the ones not paying their share of highway fees via the fuel tax.

They need to tax electric and hybrid cars more! They should have to pay more when they title and register, but instead the government gives them a tax break for being energy efficient.

I don't think they'll get a GPS tracking system for your car yet - I have a feeling the program will start like it does with trucks - a huge pile of paperwork that must be filled out and maintained, thus meaning more overpaid government jobs to deal with all the paperwork.

This pretty much sums it all up. 5 years ago I owned 3 commercial trucks that we used to haul our own equipment and also for hire loads. Nothing fancy, paid for 10 year old or older trucks and 5 trailers. ODOT put a big push on for everybody to go to the IPASS system, where you were pre approved to bypass weight stations based upon your previous record of no violations. This sounded great since the lines at the Woodburn point of entry were verrry long sometimes.

I elected to just keep doing it by paper and pulling into the weight station, getting green lighted to go on my way. A lot of companies went with it to save time and keep the trucks moving. I was coming up I5 and went through the weight station at Canyonville with some other trucks. There was of course the other trucks with IPASS who went on through.

I normally got off at Donald and came home that way, but this time I had a drop and kept going north. Passed the northbound Woodburn station and saw one of the trucks I saw passing Canyonville, sitting their in the deadline area. Quick call on the radio and turns out he had a bit of a heavy foot somewhere between Canyonville and Woodburn and they red lighted him at Woodburn for violating speed limits.

The system logged his time at Canyonville and then Woodburn and the average speed was computed and found to be over the speed limit. Ticketed and deadlined. It has lowered truck speeds quite a bit however for the ones using it. The rags heads don't use it and just keep hauling as* in their piece of crap trucks and wrecking out southbound at Smith Hill.

We filled out reams of forms and paid our taxes. Huge amounts of taxes. If you so much as missed your payment by one day, they suspended your operating authority.

Anybody foolish enough to let the government monitor your travels electronically is asking for them to insert themselves into your life. The whole intent on these programs is to create more government jobs and cumbersome systems to suck tax dollars out of our pockets and economies.

If this ends up going through then I am leaving Oregon! There is no way I am going to let the government put a gps unit on my car, this is just total BS!!!.

Really! If you have a newer car, you
Already have one!!!

I was listening to Lars yesterday and he did the math if you own a low miles per gallon vehicle "truck / suv" you will be paying less than the people that has bought a low MPG vehicle. Because it's currently based on fuel bought vs. miles driven. Pretty stupid so what was the big government push on buying energy efficient vehicles. So that Prius or smart car that costs more is the gift that keeps costing more.

Well if you still haven't vote remember to vote mister dumb a**,liar, cheat and thief out of office.
Vote Richardson he might not the best candadaite but anyone is better than Kitzass!!!!

Last Edited:
I took a superficial peek online, and it seems we're already paying a 0.30 per-gallon gas tax at the pump (correct my math if that amount has changed). To me, it looks like $3 for every 200 miles driven at 20 mpg (300 miles at 30 mpg, or 150 miles in a truck at 15 mpg). Personal choice. What's under your hood?

Going into a "test phase" in 2015, this proposed tax of 1.5 cents per mile would cost $45.00 per 3000 miles, period. Regardless of your mpg, that's an extra $45 per oil change! Sucks more than a little if you're already doing your part by driving a foreign-made Testosterone-Lite Pipsqueak to conserve those precious domestic resources we're sitting on, yes?

Which begs the question: Who will NOT pay the per-mile tax? Every non-resident (and non-citizen) driving in Oregon, that's who! As usual, it just boils down to another tax-grabbing scam to make me pay for everyone else! This coming on the heels of Multnomah County *ss-raping me for $6000 last week is a bitter pill to swallow. (Yes, I'm moving out of here in exactly 2 years.)

Talk about a grotesque invasion of privacy! What's next? File a "flight plan" and pay up-front for pre-approval to drive somewhere? Perhaps some/all of it outside of Oregon? Prove it! Oh, wait! No need for that - you're being tracked by satellites. "Is that a suitcase in your trunk? Another $30."

Surely this new tax will replace the tax at the pump, right? Anyone who actually believes a gallon of gas might magically drop by .30 once big brother is tracking and fleecing us for every mile we drive is delusional. It's extra. And it's wrong. This little rant is completely non-partisan. I don't care which bloated, crooked party they belong to. I say vote all the bastards who support this idea out of office! Every last thieving one of 'em!

Last Edited:
They wont - which leads one to conclude the state at the pump tax won't be going away. We will likely wind up with gas tax AND a mileage based tax too.

You know GD GOOD AND WELL they'll keep both! Just like they'd keep the income tax if they manage to get a sales tax implemented.

This country is just about at critical mass, and accelerating.

How will they keep track of out-of-staters?

They won't! That's exactly the point I was making above. We will pay for people from other states and countries to drive these highways.

Meanwhile the potholes and erosion ditches on my street get bigger every day while the city installs useless signage and concrete islands in the middle of perfectly functional intersections with 8' diameter flower pots.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads