JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Remember Yewal Gibbons? He was my inspiration as a young teen. I tried to eat (at least once) anything I shot. It took me a while to warm up to the idea of frog legs but once i did, oh wow! That is STILL one of my absolute favorites with butter and garlic. Learned real quick to cover the frying pan though:D

That's why you bring up the heat real slow like.... :s0140:

I respect anyone who eats it, but personally, if food needs to go through three levels of processing and 8 hours in the pot with a pound of spice -- I'll eat something else. Unless I'm starving. I'm not so fussy to starve to death.

I can pressure cook a 24# frozen turkey in just over 1.5 hours. A coyote shouldn't take more than a half hour. Tos it in there with some spices and veggies and it's pretty good. I made a bunch of individual pot pies that way with the last one I took. To each their own, of course, but as long as you stay away from the lites you'll be fine.

A lot of meat can be okay for taste if you cook it in a crock pot with spices.

Never tried any kind of canine, but I have eaten various foods that I don't like by themselves, cooked with spices - e.g., cauliflower, squash, etc., in small amounts mixed with other foods.

As I said, I don't shoot animals that I won't eat or that don't threaten me. I have coyote, cougar, bears, deer, rabbit, porcupine, skunk, etc. - pass thru my yard. I have several rabbits that daily play on my patio. So if I had to go with wildlife for food, I should do ok.

Lots of coyotes up here on the mountain, and plenty of deer - I don't bother them and they don't bother me.

It's the other "white meat"....

EFDA5FA1-4EDC-4DC6-8F62-62B57DB760F0.gif

Coyote cooking/preparation is simple.

Prepare your coyote by marinating it for 24 hours in a 1tsp cinnamon, 3tbl basil, pinch of thyme and 1/4 cup coriander seeds ground, 2% salt and 16oz of water per mix.

Slow cook on a cedar plank that was soaked for 24 hours in a red wine/water mixture. 20% red wine, 80% water.

Toss on the bbq at 275* for 6 hours. Wrapping coyote in foil at the 4 hour mark.

After cooking is complete, throw coyote in the garbage and eat the cedar plank.

Prepare your coyote by marinating it for 24 hours in a 1tsp cinnamon, 3tbl basil, pinch of thyme and 1/4 cup coriander seeds ground, 2% salt and 16oz of water per mix.

Slow cook on a cedar plank that was soaked for 24 hours in a red wine/water mixture. 20% red wine, 80% water.

Toss on the bbq at 275* for 6 hours. Wrapping coyote in foil at the 4 hour mark.

:s0140:

Grandma told me that during the War, she was on the Res and they pretty much had no meat, so they were stuck eating Prairie dogs and real dogs. Said the Prairie dogs were edible but the normal dogs were greasy and it smelled bad, id guess a yote would be similar.:eek:

I wish 0DFW would recommend the eating of wolves.....
While not Coyote, Vilhjalmur Stefansson, Roald Amundsen and other arctic explorers pre and post 1900 profess to the most enjoyment of fat winter wolves better than Caribou. Though they eat, but with less relish, Arctic fox, I assume like other species, the type of dog you eat contributes to the taste better or worse, one way or the other, as do different fish, bovine and even cervide.

Then you STILL get the squirts from it anyway... :s0140:

While not Coyote, Vilhjalmur Stefansson, Roald Amundsen and other arctic explorers pre and post 1900 profess to the most enjoyment of fat winter wolves better than Caribou. Though they eat, but with less relish, Arctic fox, I assume like other species, the type of dog you eat contributes to the taste better or worse, one way or the other, as do different fish, bovine and even cervide.

For those of you in Ashland, Eugene, Portland, and North of the Columbia River.... "cervide" is NOT the opening to the uterus.... it's the genus name for the deer family of animals.

;):D

Last Edited:

Yes, relish can make many things better. I prefer sweet pickle over dill relish myself, not so much mustard relish. Hot dogs and hamburgers mostly. If I'm ever in a situation where I must eat coyote, I hope to have some relish.

DO NOT EATcoyote
OdfW will start charging for tag(s)
Raising the price every 6 months
Then we'll need a draw for tags, special hunts extra tags more cost.
Maybe a Coyote hunting parking fee.
Extra large caliber fine fee
Under sized caliber fine/fee
GET OUT OF COYOTE JAIL free card fee.
etc.

Edit: Forgot coyote napkin fee.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR