JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, my brain just went to a real odd place just now. I was thinking about getting a Elcan 3.4X for my AR10. They can be found reasonably and I really really like how they felt on a gun I was playing with. I also think it would be great for hunting on the west side where I dont often shoot more than a hundred yards. So I want one of those for sure. But I also like shooting at 300-500 yards or so and think I need a little more magnification. Could I throw a swing away magnifier on it? I know my FOV would go to hell but for target practicing I could make do. Am I out of my mind?

Yep you are out of your mind lol. Swing magnifiers only work because red dot sights have no eye relief requirement. Both the ACOG's and Elcans need to be mounted near the rear of the rail in order to get a proper sight picture. You basically have two options if you want close and far capability. Get two scopes, one for each role... or compromise and get something like a 2.5-10. Of course the low powered military scopes are effective for hitting man sized targets out to 600 plus meters, they just aren't ideal for precision work at that range.

I figured as much. I have never played with the swing to side magnifiers but thought they might work as the Elcan I was playing with had such a large amount of eye relief. I thought there might be a sweet spot where they both lined up. Thanks for talking me out of it, I will just have to get the mounts reset mounts. A retard (me) appreciates your answer.

Yep you are out of your mind lol. Swing magnifiers only work because red dot sights have no eye relief requirement. Both the ACOG's and Elcans need to be mounted near the rear of the rail in order to get a proper sight picture. You basically have two options if you want close and far capability. Get two scopes, one for each role... or compromise and get something like a 2.5-10. Of course the low powered military scopes are effective for hitting man sized targets out to 600 plus meters, they just aren't ideal for precision work at that range.

The Elcan has a very generous and forgiving eye box, the ACOG's not so much but they have other pluses such as a wide variety of reticle options and the availability of QD type mounts. Lots of cool new options in do it all variables 1-6, 1-8 even 1-10 but these are typically big bucks and are likely not as bullet proof as the military issue fixed power units.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top