JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Back when I was a wee lad, I remember watching my grand dad cleaning a trout.. He would cut the anus of the fish out before cutting the belly open and cleaning out the guts.
I was always taught of just sliding the knife in there and cutting up the belly so I always thought that was odd..
Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I was cleaning trout with my buddy and I happen to tell him of how my grand dad did it and he also thought it odd.. now, a guy came to the cleaning table and I was watching how he was doing it and lo and behold, he cut out the anus, just like grand dad did.

Is there a reason for this or is it just a way someone was taught?o_O

i do it too. for trout i cut from the hole up to the gills then cut the back of the head horizontally thru the spine then pull the head and guts out

thats how dad taught me. thats also how my FIL does it.

Last Edited:
i do it too. for trout i cut from the hole up to the gills then cut the back of the head horizontally to the spine then pull the head and spine and guts out

thats how dad taught me. thats also how my FIL does it.

I mean, they cut out the anus, as in remove it from the fish.
Not sure if that was clear or not in my OP.

%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fxjztz1QgVRv8I%2fgiphy.gif

Huh, I clean mine the same way. Although I don't specifically remove the B hole. I just start there and work my way forward to the gills. Toss the tail and head/gills/guts. Marinate, grill and repeat.

Just something people do!
I slice and pull...
I think there is some folk lore about it contaminating the fish, that has a miniscule amout of validity. Some people hold that rumor to be absolute truth, which is probably why they bother cutting out the sphincter.

While in Montana and doing a lot of ice fishing I began to fillet instead of gutting. Having the skin partially freeze really helped the process. Cleaning fish at the water is necessary during warm weather. I also just start my cut down there since I feel the stomach lining won't be eaten anyway. I had so many trout in Montana that the thought of eating another can make me queasy. I loved that ice fishing though.

I have always cut the head off just behind the pectoral fins first, then slice open the belly from the bunger up to the cut-off head, then take my thumbnail and strip out the innards all nice and clean.... it's like an edible little trout canoe.

Hm, I was taught just stab the but, slice up to the throat, cut the head off and rip the guts out. Then use a twa spoon to remove the kidney / nasty crap left behind. Rinse under fresh water. My old man never learned how to fillet fish, so I didn't until I was a teen and learned on my own.

Never heard of that. Cutting out the bunghole first, that is. I always clean them like most people posting in this thread. I'm not sure how that would make a difference with anything.

Fillet only. Cut off the slabs and throw the rest away. Or nuke it from space, whatever.

One of my fishing buddies gave me some smoked tuna on Wednesday... fresh caught, smoked with apple or cherry, not sure. Anyway, I went to the store and got some cream cheese and baygirls... sooooo yummie!!!

While in Montana and doing a lot of ice fishing I began to fillet instead of gutting. Having the skin partially freeze really helped the process. Cleaning fish at the water is necessary during warm weather. I also just start my cut down there since I feel the stomach lining won't be eaten anyway. I had so many trout in Montana that the thought of eating another can make me queasy. I loved that ice fishing though.

I would have to be pretty hungry before I ate a trout. Especially hatchery trout. In dont even fish for them anymore because they aren't durable enough to C&R and have a decent chance at survival.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top