JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Limiting myself to loading even boxes of 50, that solves the problem of odd lot boxes of finished ammo. However, it contributes to the condition of having odd lots of bullets and primers. Taking the .41 Mags as an example, I had 93 cases empty. If I stopped at just one even box of 50, I'd still have those 43 left overs. Being as how I'm already set up to load a given cartridge, the temptation for me is to keep going on the remaining 43.

Admittedly, the matter with the .41's is rather an exception. Using another example, I have scads of 9mm Luger cases. With those, I can stop just loading at just about any metric desired and it doesn't really matter if there are cases remaining. I could load all night and there'd still be some left. Many nights, as a matter of fact.

Back to the .41's, I think I'll do as I said earlier. After I fire this latest batch off, I'm gonna scrap those cases and break out the new ones I have. I will keep some good-looking spares from those being retired and that should keep me even.

There seems to be a remedy for this......

Yes but there can be a different psychological make-up between those who are strictly shooters and those who are shooter/hand loaders. In my experience, the latter rarely are simply shooters. They rarely load a quantity that they quickly use up and don't hold any back. Hand loaders tend to like to bank things up. It's a mind set. I have firewood out on my property banked up just like components and ammo.

Another typical trait pretty common to hand loaders. They tend to like to tinker.

They rarely load a quantity that they quickly use up and don't hold any back
This may be true but it can also depend on how often one gets out and shoots.
Depending on my schedule I try to get out once a week - and in the summer several mid-week as one of my 'pet' shooting spots is on my way home and about a minute from the highway so it's quite convenient.
Regardless I never have more than a couple hundred rounds loaded at any given time because of this shooting frequency. I load for a week or two, shoot, and start over.

Sometimes I resort to loading and stop when a ammo box (50cal) is full. Then I stop and know I don't have to load for that caliber for at least six months. Usually only do this for 9mm, 45acp, and other plinking pistol rounds. The rifle stuff is loaded back into factory boxes for easy inventory and protection.

One of the things I have been doing over the last couple years is finding loads I stick with and use in multiple guns. Example being .357 in my Henry and Mod 66 Smith and 9mm for my PCC and whatever 'new' 9mm I wind up with to try to keep things standardized and multiple components to a minimum.

One of the things I have been doing over the last couple years is finding loads I stick with and use in multiple guns. Example being .357 in my Henry and Mod 66 Smith and 9mm for my PCC and whatever 'new' 9mm I wind up with to try to keep things standardized and multiple components to a minimum.

This. In my case, especially rifle. I have standard loads for .308 and .30-06. My .308's are all set to the same zero, for example.

Handgun cartridges, not so much due to the wide variety of bullet weights. Plus I've got lots of different calibers of handguns. I've got about 23 different handgun powders.

Lately, I've been experimenting with a number of different "alternative materials" bullets, there is the tinkering aspect of hand loading. Some hand loaders are content to load by formula out of a book and never use a chronograph. That's fine, I do it that way some. But I get into making ammo that I can't buy so that gets more involved.

That is an excellent suggestion. However, for me, that 50 round box always turns into more 50 round boxes. Still a great suggestion as long as you always keep some loose brass in folgers cans ready to replace a damaged piece of brass, so you can keep those 50 round cases full...
View attachment 521551

Heaven forbid, they ever try to take our guns away based on having a little OCD...:oops:

I have loose brass but those Folgers containers are just way too small.:p:p:p

I use these big boys...;)

20180808_102640_001.jpg

20180306_135012.jpg
20180306_134849.jpg
20180306_122238.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show