JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Where do I start. I've had this issue ever since I started loading and that's been near 40 years ago. The issue is winding up with even lots of ammo based on even lots of components.

Cartridge case brass is the usual issue. You don't always have it in even lots to match up with even quantities of primers and bullets. Powder, not usually an issue because it dispenses in bulk.

I wind up with less than even lots (say, 20, 50 or 100) of cartridge cases. Reason? In my case, not always do I acquire them in even numbered lots. I get them free on the ground at the range or in the country. Somebody gives me some. Even if I started with a new lot of, say, 100, losses, damage and failure subtract from that. So I start loading in uneven lots. That then perpetuates itself, creating odd lots of primers and bullets.

Bullet quantities sometimes can cause imbalance. Bulk buys of surplus, pull-down, or factory seconds sold by the pound will do it.

Yesterday, I loaded up a of batch of .41 Magnum brass. When I was done, I had 93 rounds of finished cartridges and seven bullets left over. I have a bag of brand new WW .41 Mag brass, 100 cases. Yet I'm too stingy to scrap my odd, tired 93 old cases and replace them with the new bag of 100. If I do that, guess I'd better keep several of the better old ones in case of losses or defects in the new.

Then there is the deal with cartridge boxes. Factory ammo is often in 20 (rifle) or 50 (handgun) packaging. Plastic boxes sold to hand loaders for packing their own product are often in boxes of 50. Yet, I often shoot a revolver, a six shooter, that's six chambers, times eight cylinders, I need boxes of 48. Always the two rounds left over. But I realize a box of 48 wouldn't work out well logistically. Kinda like the deal with hot dogs and buns. Hot dogs typically are sold in packs of ten; buns typically in packages of eight. It's just the way it is.

The Germans may have had it partially right, anyway. During WW2, they packaged 9mm pistol ammo in little boxes of 16 cartridges. That's enough for two magazines full. The US military, boxes of 50.

FAD02A26-FFB1-4160-96D2-5C36279A8E66.jpeg

I understand where you are coming from but even for me that is just a bit too obsessive compulsive. As I usually have thousands of rounds loaded up I just throw them in an ammo can and take it to the range. That way I do not have to deal with individual boxes yet I do have some.

Being somewhat OCD, I MUST absolutely have all primers and bullets facing the correct direction once loaded. Seriously, it does sound like you need order in your loading - we all do, but crinkled cases, deformed bullet noses and crushed primers pretty much make that an impossibility. Toss those orphans into caliber-specific boxes marked "spares" and go on loading and enjoying the sport.

I always have a bulk bucket of brass prepped for loading, sometimes several hundred extra. That way I can alway ensure that I can end up with an even amount when I run out of components. In the case of a crushed primer though, I've been known to load half the next box of primers and toss the "extras" just to keep all in order. I usually have enough components to load way more than I'm willing to at the time. I buy every time I see something on sale, needed or not. Enough so that the corner of my garage decided to start settling again, after 34 years, lol

As a reloader who got into the hobby because I was broke I usually run out of either powder or bullets before brass. Thus limiting my production. However due to black Friday I finally found a sale on some casting equipment so soon my woes will be reduced to running low on powder...

I can relate to the OP on several of his issues but deal with it in a different manner
One being the few leftover bullets from loading runs. I used to have a 'basturd bullet' load session where I used up all the leftovers and set them aside for just informal plinking,
With regard to cases about the only time I sort by brand/lot is if I am trying a new load, Weighing each charge for a short run to determine accuracy.
With straight wall pistol ammo I load mixed brass as I cannot find any accuracy difference out of say my Henry rifle or Smith & Wesson .357s - the Henry is capable Of 1" or less at 50 yards bench rested - and that's with 158 gr plated bullets - nothing particularly high end like XTPs.
Odd numbers of rounds have never bothered me. If I am left with two or three I just load them up an finish them off. I rarely come out even at the end of a shooting session due to the different capacities of guns that shoot the same caliber.

Last Edited:
Well, there is the cottage cheese container system. I use that sometimes instead of the internally divided plastic boxes. Quantities don't matter much with those. However, round containers always take up more space and cottage cheese containers you just can't line up and stack like you can rectangular boxes which have easily readable and descriptive labels.

Heaven knows I'm not the most organized person in the world. Recently I've been winding up an enterprise that has taken up considerable space. My hand loading pass-time has suffered a bit over the years from this now absent activity and I'm enjoying the space that has been freed up. So now I'm attempting to bring better organization to my hand loading activity. For the first time, I'll have all my dies in just two places. My bullets are being organized by caliber. My plan is eventually to have all the appropriate brass and caliber bullets co-located. For example, the .32 revolver stuff will all be together, be it .32 H&R, .327 Fed Mag or .32-20 Win. The .40 stuff will be together, i.e., .40 S&W and 10mm Auto, etc. I'm getting there on it.

The reason the dies are in two places (but close together) is practical. Many of the dies are in boxed sets of two, three or four. Those stack pretty well together. But many of my dies are singles, like M dies, taper crimp dies, decapping die, etc. And some other multi die set boxes that there isn't room for in that main body. So the smaller loose stuff I'm keeping in a plastic bin that slides out, easy to access. I've got dies of different brands, you can find differences enough from one to the next to warrant this practice. Some cartridges I have more than one set of; I've liked this feature on one set, that feature on another. The brands I have are RCBS, Lee, Redding, Hornady, Lyman. The round boxes that Lee used to pack their sets in went away a long time ago. Again, round takes up too much space and doesn't stack.

With regard to cases about the only time I sort by brand/lot is if I am trying a new load, Weighing each charge for a short run to determine accuracy. With straight wall pistol ammo I load mixed brass as I cannot find any accuracy difference out of say my Henry rifle or Smith & Wesson .357s

I tend to agree as to handgun brass. Unless as you say it's for load development, I don't go overboard on this point. The quality of my shooting has never suffered demonstrably from mixing handgun brass. I usually sort out my cleaned brass (again, the empty cottage cheese containers) into separations by brand. This is more a function of quantity than anything else. With the .41 Magnum brass I loaded recently, those were mixed headstamps and since I don't have these in quantity, there really isn't anything to sort on a practical level. Yes, the couple of boxes of new brass that I have are all one brand, those I will leave as a batch.

The ammo gets stored separately from components. And this is where I really insist on some consideration as to space. That's where the nice, neat rectangular boxes come in. I used to only buy the plastic ones but costs for those add up. So I switched to the paper/styrofoam box sets that Midway sells. Which are way cheaper and of course re-usable like the plastic ones are.

I've said before, I don't like to load up every possible component I possess into finished ammo. I tend to keep most of my stuff in component form until I anticipate using it within some reasonable time. Still, I've got cabinets full of ammo that take up space.

Where do I start. I've had this issue ever since I started loading and that's been near 40 years ago. The issue is winding up with even lots of ammo based on even lots of components.

Cartridge case brass is the usual issue. You don't always have it in even lots to match up with even quantities of primers and bullets. Powder, not usually an issue because it dispenses in bulk.

I wind up with less than even lots (say, 20, 50 or 100) of cartridge cases. Reason? In my case, not always do I acquire them in even numbered lots. I get them free on the ground at the range or in the country. Somebody gives me some. Even if I started with a new lot of, say, 100, losses, damage and failure subtract from that. So I start loading in uneven lots. That then perpetuates itself, creating odd lots of primers and bullets.

Bullet quantities sometimes can cause imbalance. Bulk buys of surplus, pull-down, or factory seconds sold by the pound will do it.

Yesterday, I loaded up a of batch of .41 Magnum brass. When I was done, I had 93 rounds of finished cartridges and seven bullets left over. I have a bag of brand new WW .41 Mag brass, 100 cases. Yet I'm too stingy to scrap my odd, tired 93 old cases and replace them with the new bag of 100. If I do that, guess I'd better keep several of the better old ones in case of losses or defects in the new.

Then there is the deal with cartridge boxes. Factory ammo is often in 20 (rifle) or 50 (handgun) packaging. Plastic boxes sold to hand loaders for packing their own product are often in boxes of 50. Yet, I often shoot a revolver, a six shooter, that's six chambers, times eight cylinders, I need boxes of 48. Always the two rounds left over. But I realize a box of 48 wouldn't work out well logistically. Kinda like the deal with hot dogs and buns. Hot dogs typically are sold in packs of ten; buns typically in packages of eight. It's just the way it is.

The Germans may have had it partially right, anyway. During WW2, they packaged 9mm pistol ammo in little boxes of 16 cartridges. That's enough for two magazines full. The US military, boxes of 50.

You have OCD my friend. Nothing wrong with that. There are ways to help alleviate some of those problems though.

Well, there is the cottage cheese container system. I use that sometimes instead of the internally divided plastic boxes. Quantities don't matter much with those. However, round containers always take up more space and cottage cheese containers you just can't line up and stack like you can rectangular boxes which have easily readable and descriptive labels.

Heaven knows I'm not the most organized person in the world. Recently I've been winding up an enterprise that has taken up considerable space. My hand loading pass-time has suffered a bit over the years from this now absent activity and I'm enjoying the space that has been freed up. So now I'm attempting to bring better organization to my hand loading activity. For the first time, I'll have all my dies in just two places. My bullets are being organized by caliber. My plan is eventually to have all the appropriate brass and caliber bullets co-located. For example, the .32 revolver stuff will all be together, be it .32 H&R, .327 Fed Mag or .32-20 Win. The .40 stuff will be together, i.e., .40 S&W and 10mm Auto, etc. I'm getting there on it.

The reason the dies are in two places (but close together) is practical. Many of the dies are in boxed sets of two, three or four. Those stack pretty well together. But many of my dies are singles, like M dies, taper crimp dies, decapping die, etc. And some other multi die set boxes that there isn't room for in that main body. So the smaller loose stuff I'm keeping in a plastic bin that slides out, easy to access. I've got dies of different brands, you can find differences enough from one to the next to warrant this practice. Some cartridges I have more than one set of; I've liked this feature on one set, that feature on another. The brands I have are RCBS, Lee, Redding, Hornady, Lyman. The round boxes that Lee used to pack their sets in went away a long time ago. Again, round takes up too much space and doesn't stack.

I tend to agree as to handgun brass. Unless as you say it's for load development, I don't go overboard on this point. The quality of my shooting has never suffered demonstrably from mixing handgun brass. I usually sort out my cleaned brass (again, the empty cottage cheese containers) into separations by brand. This is more a function of quantity than anything else. With the .41 Magnum brass I loaded recently, those were mixed headstamps and since I don't have these in quantity, there really isn't anything to sort on a practical level. Yes, the couple of boxes of new brass that I have are all one brand, those I will leave as a batch.

The ammo gets stored separately from components. And this is where I really insist on some consideration as to space. That's where the nice, neat rectangular boxes come in. I used to only buy the plastic ones but costs for those add up. So I switched to the paper/styrofoam box sets that Midway sells. Which are way cheaper and of course re-usable like the plastic ones are.

I've said before, I don't like to load up every possible component I possess into finished ammo. I tend to keep most of my stuff in component form until I anticipate using it within some reasonable time. Still, I've got cabinets full of ammo that take up space.

VZiTYPF.jpg

Maybe only load by the 50 round box?

That is an excellent suggestion. However, for me, that 50 round box always turns into more 50 round boxes. Still a great suggestion as long as you always keep some loose brass in folgers cans ready to replace a damaged piece of brass, so you can keep those 50 round cases full...
hPBgaDy.jpg

Heaven forbid, they ever try to take our guns away based on having a little OCD...:oops:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top