JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Soft recoil, fte, and odd case separation. The case was stuck in there pretty good. I've not seen this before; any thoughts? It would happen on my only Taurus wouldn't it?

IMG_20201204_105629779_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201204_105600810_HDR.jpg

Pretty sure it's the ammo. I've had exactly that happen a few times times with thunderbolt and golden bullets. Not a fan of Remington .22s

That's the result of an overpressure! I've had one that sounded like a 9mm and blew the head completely off!

Sure yours wasn't an out of battery or cracked rim? A 22LR out of battery or case rim failure is loud because of the uncontained explosion in the action. Usually the distance the bolt was out of battery will be the same amount of the case length is missing. I have had both occur. The case head failure was 75 year old shorts I was shooting. Almost every fired case had a crack somewhere in it.

Cracking a case longitudinally is bad brass or oversized chamber. A good case should be able to expand enough without cracking. The chambers in all 22LR are way stronger than necessary and will not expand enough for a case to crack even under extreme over pressure.

Exactly what I was going to say, "you were shooting Remington (anything rimfire) weren't you?" Box of Thunderdolt in the photo, so yes you were. Typical of the quality for Rem .22s. Well, now you know why I refuse to buy Rem.22s, period, and haven't for 30 years. Glad/sad to see the quality hasn't improved in all that time. How they keep selling them, and why anyone keeps buying them, is beyond me.

Sure yours wasn't an out of battery or cracked rim? A 22LR out of battery or case rim failure is loud because of the uncontained explosion in the action. Usually the distance the bolt was out of battery will be the same amount of the case length is missing. I have had both occur. The case head failure was 75 year old shorts I was shooting. Almost every fired case had a crack somewhere in it.

Cracking a case longitudinally is bad brass or oversized chamber. A good case should be able to expand enough without cracking. The chambers in all 22LR are way stronger than necessary and will not expand enough for a case to crack even under extreme over pressure.

How does a .22 rimfire fire out of battery? The case has to be fully seated in order for the firing pin to ignite the priming mixture!

Smiles,

A case split IS NOT THE SAME THING AS a case separation.

Aloha, Mark

PS....dare I say it but......
Case splits are usually a problem with brass quality, a small crack/split at the mouth, a high number of reloads and/or generous chambers.
While.....
A case separation.......
Is usually/normally seen with much-reloaded rifle brass (bottle necked brass). There is usually/sometimes a line (that can be seen) that develops just north of the case head. The line is where the brass will usually fail. Long chambers or just reloading the brass too many times (setting the shoulder back has its limits).

Of course, there are exceptions.

If it were ME.....I'd change ammo and see how that goes. If it continues with various brands of .22 LR....it could be your chamber. BUT THEN......it's not like you're going to be reloading a .22 LR.

Last Edited:
Yep, impossible for a OOB discharge in a blowback rimfire 22LR. When I google "out of battery 22LR", I get no search results. Please tell Appleseed so they lift the ban on S&W 15-22's for OOB discharges.

When reading through the threads about the S&W15-22 they have documented what appear to be 2 @ OOB-Kabooms but there are many more issues to consider. The one that got my attention is the "extractor" issues! If the extractor looses control of the round as the bolt is going forward it could act like a firing pin as the extractor goes forward against the rim and pinches it against the chamber. Since the extractor sticks out further than the firing pin and could explain freakish OOB kabooms!

There were also a lot of owners that spoke very highly about the 15-22!

I have a .22 rimfire conversion for my AR that has been 100% reliable! And I've shot a zillion 22's at Gallery Bullseye and have seen a few split cases that were attributed to weak brass of over pressure issues.

Smiles,

it is indeed possible for you to get an oob detonation with a .22lr. I have done it back in the day when I was a teen I could shoot 1000s of rounds from walmart in a day. IF you get a stuck firing pin combined with an absolutely filthy chanber it can occur. But short of shooting 1000s of filthy cheap rounds in a day, I do not know how. It happened to me once. I cleaned the gun and the problem was solved

it is indeed possible for you to get an oob detonation with a .22lr. I have done it back in the day when I was a teen I could shoot 1000s of rounds from walmart in a day. IF you get a stuck firing pin combined with an absolutely filthy chanber it can occur. But short of shooting 1000s of filthy cheap rounds in a day, I do not know how. It happened to me once. I cleaned the gun and the problem was solved

Nope! Not in .22 rimfire!

A case split IS NOT THE SAME THING AS a case separation.

Aloha, Mark

PS....dare I say it but......
Case splits are usually a problem with brass quality, a small crack/split at the mouth, a high number of reloads and/or generous chambers.
While.....
A case separation.......
Is usually/normally seen with much-reloaded rifle brass (bottle necked brass). There is usually/sometimes a line (that can be seen) that develops just north of the case head. The line is where the brass will usually fail. Long chambers or just reloading the brass too many times (setting the shoulder back has its limits).

Of course, there are exceptions.

If it were ME.....I'd change ammo and see how that goes. If it continues with various brands of .22 LR....it could be your chamber. BUT THEN......it's not like you're going to be reloading a .22 LR.

Serious bulls-eye shooters are talking about the general reduction in quality in both domestic and foreign production ammo. The brass is getting thinner and thinner as manufacturers are seeking to cut costs.
Even ammo that was considered top tier just a few years ago is causing issues like splits and sticking brass and misfires.

As mentioned above your gun will let you know which ammo it likes!

Smiles,

Personally, I don't see the quality dropping as you say it has. Manufacturers have the issue of LIABILITY to deal with (should someone get hurt).

But whatever.....agree to disagree.

Aloha, Mark

Nope! Not in .22 rimfire!
I have had it happen. Scared me quite a bit as a teen and my grandfather yelled at me for getting my gun so dirty. It is possible if the gun is filthy. A jutting out pin can impact the rim in a gun where the built up crud prevented it from fully chambering and detonate it.

Filthy guns can do strange things.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top