JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You could go out of state and pay a load of cash and be guarenteed the hunt, but thats really expensive.

Last year, my Dad, brother, and I went to central Montana after pronghorn. We had to draw tags, but about 90% of applicants drew tags. There was quite a bit of public land, and most of the ranchers are happy to let you hunt their land as long as you check in with them. Tags cost about $200, which wasn't too bad. We drove there and stayed in a motel, but it wasn't too expensive, unless you figure the price per pound... :s0114:

bwells, thats not too bad! I guess if you add the out of state license, tag, fuel, hotel, food, ect., you might be somewhere around a grand for the whole trip. Out of state people coming into Oregon would pay WAY more than that to get a pronghorn hunt, whenever they actually drew the tag. I would probably pay a grand to hunt antelope. Thanks for the info!

It's a lot of fun. We were out for the season opener, and the first couple days were terrible. We saw a few deer, but no pronghorn. There were three foot snow drifts, and the wind was pretty strong. The last three days we were there, the sun came out and it warmed up. The pronghorn started coming out lower on the hills, and it was common to see herds of fifty or more. Finding them wasn't the problem, getting close was. It's a lot of fun seeing lots of shootable animals. It's definately a different kind of hunting.

Finding them wasn't the problem, getting close was. It's a lot of fun seeing lots of shootable animals. It's definately a different kind of hunting.

Thats what I meant when I said that there is a bow hunt for antelope in Oregon that doesnt take hardly any preference points, but youd better be a darn good bow hunter to stalk them, they are even harder than deer and elk to get close to! And quicker than heck to boot!

Just a quick update. I finally made it out to the Ochoco NF last week. Wow, it was awesome. It was my first time heading out that way and it was beautiful.

This was a 2 day scouting trip/ Driving around. I knew bow hunters were out there so I tried to not walk around as much, I would hate to be the guy who spooked an animal for someone else. So we drove most of the time and saved some waypoints on the gps. I didn't realize how large the Ochoco's are. We probably barely saw a quarter of it. Some steep terrain but how easy is it to walk in that stuff? I'm just used to berry vines, ferns, thorns and all kids of underbrush getting you soaked.

First day there we probably saw 20 deer total, so that really got my heart racing. The second day it was probably less than 10. All does, except one spike. I think it's fine because closer to October the bucks are going to start working their way out of the woodwork. I'm just glad I saw something. That 2nd day we also saw some antelope close to the summit prairie. I've been putting in for antelope hunt for the ochoco's so that was exciting as well. I did not see any elk there.

It was a great time and beautiful place. So far it looks very promising. Thanks for all the tips.

i gotta add though that i was a little disappointed. My first controlled tag hunt but more hunters than i expected. I just figured that controlled meant less hunters. There was a lot of traffic.

we went out, saw 6 bucks on the way into our camp. Opening morning I saw antelope, elk, about 40 does, about 50 turkeys, a bear at 1000+ yards away, lots of steers, everything but a buck. It was pretty standard to see 30-50 does a day, last day we were there i saw a small buck but missed the running shot at 40 yards. darn tree! I walked 10+ miles a day and probably covered 20+ miles a day on the atv going to new sports.

I got an ochoco tag last year with my dad....i tagged out about 15 minutes after season started, it was a huge deer ( average sized forked horn) but Im normally not to greedy so I tool the shot....half hour later we helped a guy pull another forked horn up a draw to the road...after dropping him off we turned back down the road and saw a big 4x4...my dad got out but couldnt get a shot at him thru between the 4 does with him and the trees....this year my dad, wife and me all drew tags for the same units,this wil be my wifes first yyear hunting..hopefully it goes as good as it did last year...

Up the road from Mitchell about 8-10 miles there us a road on the right fallow that up about 3 miles or so. That is barn house camp ground. Or u could drive past it an go up th big hill and camp anywhere u want. There are lots of camp sites off the road. I have never hunted deer there. But have taken about 6 elk over the last 4 years out of that area. Don't know about snow that early always cow hunting the week of thanksgiving.

Good luck.

I drew the first round of elk rifle hunting this year finally. Hopefully i can find some elk, ive never been there before but I'm excited since its my first elk hunt since out of the military.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top