JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You got scared because you got attention for OCing walking down a "SE Street"?
You considered murdering these people because your ego is so big you assumed that they saw you as something that they wanted to take by force?

Fear and ego are the simplest forms of evil in this world and you seem to live your life in a state that relies on those emotions to define your reality.
It sounds to me like you are desperately looking for someone to help you justify those emotions that you seem to be consumed by, and more importantly it sounds like you are looking for someone to help you justify your desire to have been able to draw down and possibly fire at those men.

Let me make this crystal clear... you are able to start this thread and respond because you made the correct decision. You were not in any eminent threat danger and you knew it, no matter how annoyed you are at disrespect and machismo BS its not a reason to present a weapon or even indicate that you are about to present that weapon.
Be a man and get a bubbleguming CHL... yes its your right to OC but why, if you cant deal with the attention it draws would you do it?

You got scared because you got attention for OCing walking down a "SE Street"?
You considered murdering these people because your ego is so big you assumed that they saw you as something that they wanted to take by force?

Fear and ego are the simplest forms of evil in this world and you seem to live your life in a state that relies on those emotions to define your reality.
It sounds to me like you are desperately looking for someone to help you justify those emotions that you seem to be consumed by, and more importantly it sounds like you are looking for someone to help you justify your desire to have been able to draw down and possibly fire at those men.

Let me make this crystal clear... you are able to start this thread and respond because you made the correct decision. You were not in any eminent threat danger and you knew it, no matter how annoyed you are at disrespect and machismo BS its not a reason to present a weapon or even indicate that you are about to present that weapon.
Be a man and get a bubbleguming CHL... yes its your right to OC but why, if you cant deal with the attention it draws would you do it?

If he was OC a loaded firearm in the city of Portland, he better already have a CHL or it is illegal. He can however OC an unloaded firearm, since the city can only regulate loaded firearms.

swpost10 is a good, old fashioned internet troll. The species can be recognized by its behavior, which includes trolling the bait past its audience until it gets responses. It feigns needing information, but it then shoots down or criticizes the responses in order to keep the confrontation alive.

swpost10, you were being provocative, even though you were probably within your rights. Your provocation produced a response. Get used to it. That's the way the world works. When you purposely set things in motion YOU are responsible for having the answers and making the correct decisions. Don't start a fire and then ask for suggestions on how to put it out. Your lack of preparation for open carrying is appalling.

I don't see anywhere in what the OP posted that indicates the group action was directly in response to his OC. Kind of counter-intuitive, if you think about it. I certainly wouldn't jump up and start aggressively mocking a person who was carrying a firearm just because I noticed it. Especially in a verbal but non-lingual way like screaming nonsense, jumping up and down and waving my arms. Seems like very little other than a physical attack would be more likely to get you shot.

People sure do like to psychologically project on these here Interwebs.

The Monkey dance is a common prescursor to physical attacks- not exactly *required* for people to work themselves up (there are sociopaths, a few, who don't requie physically working themseles up through threat displays and verbalization, but not many) but it is a nearly universal phenomena. There'a lot of well-meaning folks on this board who coudl really use some serious study of the precursors to violence, the physiological and pyschological signs of people preparing to do violence. It's a cycle. Spend some time on Marc MacYoung's website that I pointed out upstream here. It's a serious education, and he's a serious player in the field of consulting on crime and violence.

In fact, most people DON'T notice when you open carry. I've open carried and been out and about for hours before the first person noticed/commented. In particular, if one were a little wary of a group of people (or a cop) the natural tendency to 'blade' your body with the firearm away from the threat minimizes it even further. In fact, that's one fo the ways an officer or other informed person can tell your CC as well. It's one of the standard "tells". I'll try to dig up a neat chart I saw once that lists them out with diagrams.

In response to a couple comments; correct, *loaded* open carry is not permitted without an Oregon CHL in the City limits of Portland. So get the permit. Whether you carry open or concealed matters not a whit to me- that's your choice for a multitude of valid reasons including activism for 2A rights. Pay no attention to Elmer Fudd ("Shhhh. Be vewy vewy quiet about your 2nd Amendment wights to self defense from crime and the tywwany of the state. I'm hunting wabbits.")

The "Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

In this thread all three have come out. The idea was to get Good inputs from Knowledgeable people like
DocNt, Thebastridge, etc, about the tactics. I hoped other gun carriers would input BUT then those "Bad and Ugly"
ones showed up.

The Bad are crazy inputs which if followed would kill many and have real carriers in jail. Things like "use your scary face
"or "they know I should not be bothered with" or "just point your gun and make them move". I doubt if any of these people even
own a gun: these are "anti-gunners" who cheer at that Aurora CO shooting: "shows what evil guns are!" These have pushed
a "shoot-first and most" type of attitude.... I doubt if they could kill an ant let alone a criminal. They wish to mislead
carriers and they HOPE for a tragic incident to prove "guns are evil" while secretly hope to "ban all guns" then next
turn our country into another fascist state after removing the rest of our amendments/rights.

The Ugly are egotistical mockers most likely again from the "anti-gun" group. They do their best
to belittle OC and doubt my years of OC privately or on the job. These say "You are the worst possible carrier
and don't know Oregon law!" If I had the time on my cell phone to write several pages COMPLETELY
describing the situation most of their stupid ideas would be dispelled; but anyone can see they are just
mockers and have no useful inputs. Too bad that picture maker's talent is put to such poor, blasphemous use.

Thanks to the genuine writers for many insights.

This should be the end of this thread.

done

If you refer to me swpost.. I teach JKD and it shows.. that and they can detect whether you are armed and mean business is why they leave me alone. Gangstas can tell if you are scared or confident since that is their world. I don't even have to say one word nor would I waste breath doing so

Short answer is Yes. You may place your hand on your holstered weapon, whether it is OC or concealed. Do a search on Massad Ayoob and look for some of his FAQ. He goes into this point fairly thoroughly. He also covers the question of, "If you are in a potentially dangerous area or situation, can you walk with your hand on your weapon ready to pull it.
As long as you don't wrongfully brandish the weapon or tell someone you are going to shoot them then you remain the non aggressor.
Cheers,
Doc

Well it's portland, according to most liberals silly heads (my term for cursing) will cry your threatening them by OC'ing around town, but look at the ridiculousness of ptown and it's legal action against police for doing their jobs. Just look at the doj report of abuse by ppd.
Those "punks" would probably call the cops if you put your hand on your gun and have you arrested for using a threatening or terroristic threat against them and then pull a race card, and say they were just asking you directions.

You'd be in jail and those idiots would be laughing at home.

There's a time and place to open carry, never seems worth it any where near portland. I only do so outside the city limits mostly when hiking or camping. But it's your choice and your right.

But my $.02
Walk right by them say hi with a smile be ready to pull without looking intimidated or threatening. Have an escape plan, be aware of who and what are around you, and know your always going to be wrong in the eyes of a lawyer or judge if things go wrong.

a very unpleasant, stern warning with a gun pointed at them would have probably done the trick if they had chosen to attack. if they all decided to ignore the gun pointed at them, chances are if you didn't act on shooting one or all, they had beaten you to the ground, taken your gun, and probably used it on you. in any instance, 1 vs. more than 1 is a potential life or death situation.

then there is all the legal recourse after in incident as well as the potential of being labeled as a racist white devil.
Sorry for the late reply:

DON'T DO THAT!!!
Just pointing a gun at anyone is "assault with a deadly weapon"!!!
So you'll (justifiably) wind up in jail. ALSO using a weapon mounted light to search with IS THE SAME SITUATION!!! JUST DON'T DO IT! Oregon PSST taught me that.
IF THEY HAD "RUSHED" ME their numbers would have made it a life threatening situation, BUT that never happened as I rested my hand on my gun (which is different than pointing it at them) to protect it from being taken (so to speak).
LOL

I don't blame anybody for not answering all of your questions... nor do I think they should. for one your OP is jumbled together and hard to read/understand, and second you are asking for legal advice that nobody here is qualified to give... It does seem that you are seeking a way to rationalize using your gun... wether you pull the trigger or just as a way to intimidate people. If you put your hand on your gun it's opening a can of worms... If those boys felt threatened by your actions, maybe they would feel they were in thier rights to defend their lives... awful grey area. We don't know your personality, or anything about you... The way you have responded to criticism, and the way you describe things is the only things we have to assess, and frankly it gives cause for concern... How do I know that you aren't walking around town with your gun on your hip waiting for an opertunity to present itself. If you were to get the proper rationalization from people of this forum to use your gun without fear of legal reprocussions, and got into a gunfight and shot someone, or were shot yourself... those that gave it to you would be guilty, maybe not legally, but the knowledge that they were in anyway responsible would be worse. As previously stated you should already know the answers to these questions before you ever strap a gun to yourself... especially OC. IMO while OC is your right, if you have the ability to CC that is the by far the better choice. OC by anybody out of uniform makes a lot of people uncomfortable. By walking around town with a gun out in the open (especially a town as liberal as portland) you are drawing attention to yourself, and it's more often than not going to be negative. From snowflakes that will call you a paranoid hick, to kids hanging out at the bus stop, using you as a way to show off to thier buddies. The last thing a responsible advocate for gun ownership should do is intimidate, or give any reason for the people we are trying to convince that carrying a gun is a good thing to lean any further to the left. Don't get me wrong... i'm not against open carry... I just think in some situations it's not a good idea.... nor am I saying that you are in fact a man of bad character looking for an excuse to shoot people... Im just saying that the possibility that you are is why you are getting "shot down" (no pun intended).

national-lampoons-vacation-1983-movie-03.png

I don't blame anybody for not answering all of your questions... nor do I think they should. for one your OP is jumbled together and hard to read/understand, and second you are asking for legal advice that nobody here is qualified to give... It does seem that you are seeking a way to rationalize using your gun... wether you pull the trigger or just as a way to intimidate people. If you put your hand on your gun it's opening a can of worms... If those boys felt threatened by your actions, maybe they would feel they were in thier rights to defend their lives... awful grey area. We don't know your personality, or anything about you... The way you have responded to criticism, and the way you describe things is the only things we have to assess, and frankly it gives cause for concern... How do I know that you aren't walking around town with your gun on your hip waiting for an opertunity to present itself. If you were to get the proper rationalization from people of this forum to use your gun without fear of legal reprocussions, and got into a gunfight and shot someone, or were shot yourself... those that gave it to you would be guilty, maybe not legally, but the knowledge that they were in anyway responsible would be worse. As previously stated you should already know the answers to these questions before you ever strap a gun to yourself... especially OC. IMO while OC is your right, if you have the ability to CC that is the by far the better choice. OC by anybody out of uniform makes a lot of people uncomfortable. By walking around town with a gun out in the open (especially a town as liberal as portland) you are drawing attention to yourself, and it's more often than not going to be negative. From snowflakes that will call you a paranoid hick, to kids hanging out at the bus stop, using you as a way to show off to thier buddies. The last thing a responsible advocate for gun ownership should do is intimidate, or give any reason for the people we are trying to convince that carrying a gun is a good thing to lean any further to the left. Don't get me wrong... i'm not against open carry... I just think in some situations it's not a good idea.... nor am I saying that you are in fact a man of bad character looking for an excuse to shoot people... Im just saying that the possibility that you are is why you are getting "shot down" (no pun intended).

Good post but you got sucked in..... HE'S NOT THERE!!! OP was in 2012. So you went to a lot of effort. Still good info but.... kinda long. Just me but I at my age and the meds I'm on, I can't concentrate past a few lines worth, especially when there are no paragraphs to separate thoughts/concepts. Just thought you should know. :)

Now that's an impressive thread bump. Glad it happened though, because I would have missed this otherwise. This ranks right up there will mall ninja and the sh*t-shovel AK for amazing firearms related forum threads.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top