JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would write something up giving over to her the rights to the weapon, and then go in and have it notarized.

She already has "the rights to the weapon".

It will define the weapon (pictures if possible), and dated plus witnessed. She should sign it also. Give her a copy and put the original away in your safe. You may never need it, but if you do.....
Just tell her the law requires it so she'll just get it done and put it all behind you. Done.

It will define the weapon (pictures if possible), and dated plus witnessed. She should sign it also. Give her a copy and put the original away in your safe. You may never need it, but if you do.....
Just tell her the law requires it so she'll just get it done and put it all behind you. Done.

It might work but if she's anything like my X she won't care, she'll say "F' off take me to court." You would need the serial # a picture won't cut it if push comes to shove.

Last Edited:
Oregon is not a Community Property state. It is an Equitable Distribution state.

What Is Equitable Distribution?
When you go through a divorce in Oregon, the court will rely on an equitable distribution policy when dividing your marital assets. In other words, all your property in your marriage will be split in a fair, equitable way that may not be strictly "equal." Property may not be divided right down the middle, but split between each spouse in a way that the court deems fair and just.

All property acquired during the marriage is referred to as "marital property" and is susceptible to division; however, specific properties owned by either one spouse or the other, either because they were purchased before the marriage took place or were inherited, will be considered "separate property." Separate property is rarely divided between spouses in the divorce process.

He said "goat rope".
That's funny.

Famous military phrase. The army I was in, goat roping was pretty regular.

I would write something up giving over to her the rights to the weapon,

In Wash., (before I-594 eliminated private sales), there was a form you could fill out, I think it was called something like voluntary report of private sale. It was a method where you could at least put on record that a firearm that had been sold to you and was in your name was no longer in your possession. Yes, Wash. did and does keep a record at the DOL of handgun purchases by name and address. Maybe Oregon has a similar document. This would be if the concern had to do with potential liability or legal implications, not just the idea of getting something desirable/valuable back.

All property acquired during the marriage is referred to as "marital property"

I've been married for 45 years, do you think anything in that relationship now exists that isn't marital property?? In Wash, that would be community property. How about my .410 shotgun that I got when I was 16 years old, that's about it. When my mom died a few years ago, I got a nice inheritance, I think that is outside community property but I already told Mrs. Merkt that it's hers as much as mine.

it was half hers

How about one party keep the frame, the other party the slide and other parts.

I can't believe that nobody's asked how/why would your husband even think of leaving a firearm registered to him behind?!? That's insane!
It's gone! Zero, zilch, nada and nevermore!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top