JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In a case like this appears to be, a pistol is like any other item. Presuming he bought it with a background check, he could have given it to her without one legally. Therefore if she says it was given to her, he would have to prove that it wasn't. Basically impossible at this point.

In Oregon, a community property state, it was half hers. Unless it was specifically named in the divorce decree giving him ownership. If it wasn't, he could ask nicely, but he likely won't see it again. Or he could offer to purchase her interest in it.

Unless it was specifically named in the divorce decree giving him ownership. If it wasn't, he could ask nicely, but he likely won't see it again.

This. If it wasn't specifically listed in the dissolution he's SOL. Unless he's into trying a lawsuit, but that's a goat rope waiting to happen.

LOL

Hopefully the firearm in question is nothing special so the OP and their spouse can just move on. Hopefully it's a Glock. :D

Lmfao..i appreciate all of your replies, was SUPER helpful, disappointing, but helpful..but also entertaining..y'al are funny and cool as hell! Glad I joined..guess I'm in the market for a new piece...im thinkin 12 gauge..

Lmfao..i appreciate all of your replies, was SUPER helpful, disappointing, but helpful..but also entertaining..y'al are funny and cool as hell! Glad I joined..guess I'm in the market for a new piece...im thinkin 12 gauge..
We're glad to have you, thanks for joining the forum. Keep in mind, guns are tools/things, even the pretty ones. They can always be replaced at at a later time.

One thing I would do. Keep trac of when. If he did the paperwork when this was purchased and it ends up at a crime, chance they will ask him. So have a date when it went from his possession to hers. So if she sells it or it gets stolen, doubt she will bother to tell him.

I would write something up giving over to her the rights to the weapon, and then go in and have it notarized. It will define the weapon (pictures if possible), and dated plus witnessed. She should sign it also. Give her a copy and put the original away in your safe. You may never need it, but if you do.....
Just tell her the law requires it so she'll just get it done and put it all behind you. Done.

Hmm... I don't think I'd hand over a gun to my now ex-spouse... regardless of how "friendly" of a divorce it was... assuming it was friendly. If it wasn't so friendly... well, just saying. ;)

Mike

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top