JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
just so you know, electing to stop taking the pain meds is fine but muscle relaxants help the muscles around and injured/surgery location and improve you ability to heal. you probably should talk to your Dr before you choose not to take those.
I had run through all but a couple of the relaxants at that point so j suspect those had run their course. But I can't describe the grossness I felt after having been on all those for a while. I felt much better, slept better and seemed to heal more quickly after I quit.
If I ever need surgery again I will have a better conversation with my doctor beforehand.

please stop telling people to use animal meds, those are not meant for human consumption and have not been manufactured under the high standards that make meds reliable for human consumption.

The pills I get for my animals are the same exact shape color and have the same markings on them as my doctor perscribes for me. My vet says he gets them from the same place. Antibiotics are antibiotics. They target the same thing if intended for animals or for humans they are the same.

The pills I get for my animals are the same exact shape color and have the same markings on them as my doctor perscribes for me. My vet says he gets them from the same place. Antibiotics are antibiotics. They target the same thing if intended for animals or for humans they are the same.

they are not held to the same standards required for human consumption. your vet is not a medical Dr and is not licensed to give such advise. he is actually committing a federal crime by telling you that, on top of that just because it is the same pH formula, does not make it the same thing.

taking drugs made for animals is a serious health risk, do not use them.

I thought you might find this interesting on vet pills.

USP-approved animal pharmaceuticals are often made in the same manufacturing plants as human pharmaceuticals and will contain the same ingredients. They are the same color, shape, and bare the same markings as human drugs. This likely boils down to cost-effectiveness for Big Pharma, but for once, is also in your interest and favor.

Allow me to explain. Every "drug" manufactured, sold, or brought into the United States must pass FDA regulations (don't get me started on the FDA), and is listed within the United States Pharmacopeia, or USP. This is a compendium recognized officially by the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act that contains descriptions, uses, strengths, and standards of purity for selected drugs and for all of their forms of dosage.

Use of the USP Verified Pharmaceutical Ingredient Mark helps ingredient manufacturers assure their customers that the quality of the ingredients they are supplying has been rigorously tested and verified by an independent authority. When the mark appears on an ingredient container or carton, it represents that USP has evaluated the ingredient and found that:

1. The participant's quality system helps to ensure that the ingredient meets its label or certificate of analysis claims for identity, strength, purity, and quality.
2. The ingredient has been prepared under accepted good manufacturing practices (GMP) that ensure consistency in the quality of ingredients from batch to batch.
3. The ingredient meets its specifications' acceptance criteria.

So what does all of this FDA jargon mean? Overall, it translates to assuring you that if you see an animal drug that is labeled, "UPS Pharmaceutical grade Amoxicillin," it is the exact same pharmaceutical grade Amoxicillin that your doctor would prescribe you for various infections.

As for the identification or verification process, should you still feel uneasy, we can look to the FDA (yet again, ugh).

Per the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/aprqtr/pdf/21cfr206.7.pdf), each capsule, tablet, or pill must be uniquely marked. Two tablets with identical colors, shapes, and markings cannot, by law, have different ingredients. This is for a variety of reasons, but not limited to assisting Poison Control hotlines, hospitals, doctors, etc., in determining what someone might have ingested, overdosed on, or is causing side effects.

I could have listed the actual regulation but most people would not understand it. Basically if the pill has the same shape and color it is the same pill. period.

it is not the same. i went to school to be a medical assistant, and it is part of what we learn. many drug related illnesses come from people using drugs made for their pets, thinking it would be the same. they are not stored, tested, produced or handled with the same standards as drugs meant for human consumption.

when it comes to your health, you should not use something that creates a risk for defective consumables. its like drinking water from your gutters without cleansing it, it may just be rain water but it could have something much worse in it.

what you are recommending to people can be a serious health risk. anti-biotics can be obtained by simply asking your Dr for a bottle. it is perfectly legal for your Dr to give you those meds even when you dont have an immediate need. many times you wont be able to get them from a Dr under an HMO contract but most private practices will have no problem selling you a couple bottles.

Stop telling people to do something that puts their health at risk. it is completely opposite of that this forum section is meant for. the last thing you need (when you need real meds) is for the meds to fail or make problems worse for you. even far worse when there are no Drs to go to for help. the only time anything thing like this should be done, is if there were no other choice and no hope of survival without it.

they are not held to the same standards required for human consumption. your vet is not a medical Dr and is not licensed to give such advise. he is actually committing a federal crime by telling you that, on top of that just because it is the same pH formula, does not make it the same thing.

I have really enjoyed reading your posts, you seem like an intelligent and well educated person.

You do express a very strong bias against using anything but DR prescribed meds, and you also [finally] explained where you get your perspective.

There may well be some basis, or even very much basis in fact for the cautions you express concerning meds for livestock vs humans. However, in an emergency situation where an antibiotic is really needed, I doubt that the person who really needs that antibiotic will be harmed more by being administered the livestock version vs not receiving it at all.

In my experience, antibiotics are poured down people's throats way too much. I grew up in the '70s and the local quack used to prescribe Keflex AKA Cefalexin for my "summer colds" which were nothing but hay fever as it turned out. What an idiot. Same guy wanted to do a spinal tap on my infant daughter because he thought she had Menengitis. He just did the test wrong with her laying down instead of upright. I called him "Sure Die".

So I don't like antibiotics, and haven't taken any since the '70s. But they do have an important use, and I think that if you have an infection that calls for antibiotics, in an emergency, the pet/livestock variety will do the job without harm.

Is it at least a tiny bit possible that the education you received is all packaged up and liability proofed by the pharmaceutical industry?

it is not the same. i went to school to be a medical assistant, and it is part of what we learn. many drug related illnesses come from people using drugs made for their pets, thinking it would be the same.

Any documented cases of this? Would be super useful to this discussion, and would sway many more opinions than impassioned pleas.

maybe check the CDC. they tend to have some good records of problem meds. it was in one of my text books, ill have to find where it is.

to your point of an emergency situation, sure if you have no other option, do what you have to do. just dont use it as a prep item. you can in-fact get these meds from your Dr simply by request. you can get ABX meant for human consumption, readily and and very cheap. there is no need to buy animal meds for a emergency kit when you can get the good meds with no problems.

its simply counter intuitive to prepare for a terrible situation by storing meds that can make you problem much worse. taking animal meds should be an absolute last resort and keeping them for the explicit purpose of having them in an emergency is just plain dumb.

please stop telling people to use animal meds, those are not meant for human consumption and have not been manufactured under the high standards that make meds reliable for human consumption.

Kevin- I appreciate your views, but I've shown in my original post how these "vet antibiotics" can be traced back to the manufacturing pharma company, and in fact directly to the date/time and location of processing. They all come off the same lines. If you follow the directions I provide you'll find this for yourself. I suggest that everyone do their own research and know exactly what they are doing before they begin to self-medicate. However, I am convinced that the medication itself is completely safe.

From a cost perspective, there just simply isn't enough money for pharmaceutical companies to research, test and produce for individual animal breeds. Which is why they relabel and sell HUMAN antibiotics for your pets. Please follow the information I provided and see if you can find fallacy in my research.

Regardless, in a grid down situation, when facing significant illness and without access to a doctor, these could absolutely be a life saver. Pretty cheap insurance!

that is not my view, it is fact. they are not reliable. human anti-biotics barely cost more. buy good meds. i dont even understand why this is even a discussion, these animal meds can be dangerous, why take such a risk?

stop telling me im wrong, i know better than that.

that is not my view, it is fact. they are not reliable. human anti-biotics barely cost more. buy good meds. i dont even understand why this is even a discussion, these animal meds can be dangerous, why take such a risk?

stop telling me im wrong, i know better than that.
You are wrong. The meds ARE the same thing. Spend some time working in a pharmacy and you'll see the same meds from the same big bottles going to fill scripts for both people and animals. Heck, just go ask your local Wal Mart pharmacist if they fill scripts for pet meds with the same meds they use to fill scripts for the human folk.

Adding self to thread because I have a condition I've been told that only a dose of antibiodics will relieve when an inflamation occurs (diverticulosis). So I want to read up on this and try and be prepared in case the mall is closed for whatever reason.

Hi Kevin! I'm glad you joined the thread. I've tried to leave a very detailed description of how I arrived at my information and have included links so that others can see the path I followed. For me, this data is proof positive. I'd be very interested in any sources you can cite that would back up your assumptions and help educate all of us. Can you point to areas where my research breaks down or data that proves my information wrong?

Thanks very much for sharing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads