JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Keep some apple cider vinegar around as well, whenever I feel a cold coming on, chug glass of cider vinegar and some kind of juice to help dilute the disgusting taste and kills the germs in body at least 95% of the time.

Also, I got a case of ring worm 12 yrs ago, all the sabs the doctor kept prescribing were not working and it was spreading, I fought it for a month and 1/2, and it kep spreading from touching other parts of my body while sleeping, then I got in the shower and poured cider vinegar over me twice a day for three days, I would also take a long bath once a day with 1/2 gallon of cider vinegar in the water, after three days in almost completely gone, I continued what I was doing for another 7 days to make sure it was gone.

I also washed my sheets daily in detergent and cider vinegar.

I have had passed this method to two other people that were unfortunate enough to get ring worm and the creams . sabs that were prescribed did not work, the email a week later and said was gone.

This is ancillary, but worth mentioning. The county health department offers low cost vaccinations for all kinds of nasty stuff for very reasonable prices. I got vaccinated for a host of things before visiting South America. It is legal, cheap, and protection lasts a long time. Flood conditions and other natural disasters may bring about hygiene challenges we typically don't see in first world nations, and having been inoculated brings some peace of mind. Some vaccines must be administered over months, so you have to plan ahead, but it is worth looking into. The dangers of vaccine are just tiny compared to the effects of what they protect against.

Let me start by stating that I am not a doctor nor am I any other sort of medical professional.As far as the usage of antibiotics goes please do a lot of research.

I think the site drugs.com has a lot of info on the various infections that certain antibiotics are usually prescribed for and the dosing regimens and duration for each. I look at the list of what they are good for and target having at least one full course of treatment per family member for the harshest of illnesses that I feel we are likely to encounter. IE Yes I would get enough to fight pneumonia but not Bubonic plague or such. IF you add up the total mgs required for a full course of treatment for a very serious infection for two or more persons you may find it is much more than you thought. I know a lot of people are big fans of Ciprofloxacin, and yes it saved my *** once when I was in SE Asia, but be aware that broad spectrum antibiotics like that and Azithromyacin (Zithromax) are very harsh on your system. My research suggests that you should first try narrower spectrum antibiotics like the sulfa drugs, cyclines and the cillins before resorting to these whenever possible. There are different "Families" of bacteria (IE gram negative and gram positive) and different "Families" of antibiotics are used to fight each. Since testing for specific types of bacteria are beyond the scope of capabilities of most of our med kits we are left to guess based on what area of the body is infected and dose based on that. I have made myself a listing of infections and which antibiotic I would try first for that area and which I would try second.

As far as how to acquire them..... if you or a friend are going to visit any foreign countries check their pharmacies. I happen to know that Mexico, Thailand and Cambodia have Pharmacies that are happy to sell most things you might want.

here's another way. simply ask your primary care physician. it is not illegal for a Dr. to provide you with medications you dont need as long as they are not controlled narcotics. the only thing that could happen is he says no. when asking be frank. "i have been storing food and water for emergency purposes and i would like to improve my medical kit, is it possible for you to provide some ABX for my kit? i am willing to pay the cost." also for information on any medication can be found at WebMD - Better information. Better health. for free. there are also books you can buy at any book store that contains a list of all medications available (both controlled and uncontrolled) in the US. these books will run you about $40 and have information for how to use it, risk factors and signs of bad reactions. they are also not on any regulated tracking system either.

i currently have a 2 week supply of cipro (made for humans) in my first aid kit.

its also not a bad idea to look for some suture kits. they come with everything you need for a simple suture and can be legally obtained by the public because they do not come with narcotics. if youre looking at a system collapse scenario it wouldnt be difficult to get an anesthetic of some type from a medical office or hospital. when its not possible to get them other substances can be used for local pain relief; such as ice (if available, instant cold packs for more than 30 minutes in the same spot will create numbness), a Tourniquet which can be fashioned easily from many items and will also reduce blood flow for easier stitching. lastly aspirin which will likely be your most available pain reliever. getting a person drunk for pain relief is a bad idea and could be a fatal mistake. it will act as a vasodialater which opens blood vessel and allow more blood flow, never do it. saving pain relievers prescribed to you by a Dr is perfectly legal and could be a good idea. we all go to the dentist or a Dr for an enjury from time to time. keeping left over vicodin is never a bad idea.

yes, you could probably get a reliable year out of such a medication but if youre trying to keep prepared a 2 week supply of ABX (which is normal for your typical injury infections) will run you about $20 without insurance. a bi-annual purchase will keep you pretty well covered and isnt a budget stretch for those who can afford to prep an extensive medical kit.

as far as pain killers you cant just go buy the good stuff for your stores but saving some from your dental appointment (assuming you get work done like i do, bad dental health) you could have some strong meds. on the other hand aspirin is a bit more effective but can be a bit more detrimental to your long term health. tylenol uses the same drug that vicodin used, simply taking an extra tab will put you pretty close to the same thing, though not exactly. with the OTC pain meds you will get a few more months but still not a terribly long shelf life.

as far as preserving meds you could potentially double the shelf life by packing the bottles in a container with silica packets the same as you would dried food. realistically the meds themselves will actually last longer than the expiration date on the package, it is simply shortened for health safety reasons. also silica packets will not guarantee them to last longer but will add a bit of packing redundancy.

all the same if you were to pack anything other than meds for simple pain relief you should research them to understand all the do's and don'ts of them and know whether or not you or anyone who will be with you are not allergic to them. never take meds if you dont know how to use them. make sure you can quote them without thinking too hard and keep a reference sheet packed with them as well.

yes, you could probably get a reliable year out of such a medication but if youre trying to keep prepared a 2 week supply of ABX (which is normal for your typical injury infections) will run you about $20 without insurance. a bi-annual purchase will keep you pretty well covered and isnt a budget stretch for those who can afford to prep an extensive medical kit.

as far as pain killers you cant just go buy the good stuff for your stores but saving some from your dental appointment (assuming you get work done like i do, bad dental health) you could have some strong meds. on the other hand aspirin is a bit more effective but can be a bit more detrimental to your long term health. tylenol uses the same drug that vicodin used, simply taking an extra tab will put you pretty close to the same thing, though not exactly. with the OTC pain meds you will get a few more months but still not a terribly long shelf life.

as far as preserving meds you could potentially double the shelf life by packing the bottles in a container with silica packets the same as you would dried food. realistically the meds themselves will actually last longer than the expiration date on the package, it is simply shortened for health safety reasons. also silica packets will not guarantee them to last longer but will add a bit of packing redundancy.

all the same if you were to pack anything other than meds for simple pain relief you should research them to understand all the do's and don'ts of them and know whether or not you or anyone who will be with you are not allergic to them. never take meds if you dont know how to use them. make sure you can quote them without thinking too hard and keep a reference sheet packed with them as well.

Thanks.
I had back surgery a few years ago and recently while cleaning out the medicine cabinet I found a good size bottle of step.g pain relievers. The date is past but wondered if I should toss them or not.

well if its more than a few months past the exp date i would toss them. even though they are dried and could potentially be good, not knowing is the same as knowing they are bad. many older meds can have serious adverse effects on the body, though some may be nothing more than a water tablet. something like that is just too big a risk. aspirin tends to last pretty well in the right storage conditions. just dont take too many of them. just so you know, they were developed by a team of LSD addicts or maybe it was heroin.(cant remember)

for all intensive purposed Ibuprofen should be your number one priority when it comes to having meds in your kit, help improve the bodies immune system, anti-histamine, anti-inflammatory and pain reliever. you can pretty much count on it to help you with nearly any injury and illness in some way. past that anything you add should be as exception as possible. a good source of Vit C should also help you avoid illness so it should be in your diet or have a large container of supplements.

also temperature is not a risk factor for illness so if others do get sick, you should stay away as much as possible, even if it means sitting in the cold a bit more.

If aspirin has a vinegar smell, toss it, it won't do you any good but it won't harm you. Opiates[ pain killers] never lose their potency maybe a small increase. When a dentist or Dr. prescribes an opiate pain killer always ask for more later and stock pile all you have...never know when you might need them. Oh yes, find a good storage place to hide them and keep your mouth shut.

Doctors will give you antibiotics for just about anything.. Just go in and say you got a cough that wont go away, etc etc.. Many times they won't even question it. I practically have to beg them not to give me antibiotics in most cases. BTW.. There are many herbal remedies that are actually more effective of staving off many bacterial infections than antibiotics. Because antibiotics are over-prescribed and used en masse in animal feedlots, more and more of them are being rendered useless at the many antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria that are emerging as a result of this.

I personally, would like to stock up on oil of oregano and many other well proven herbs to help fight off infections. Technology in the natural world has improved greatly and has benefits of healing you without horrible side effects of many medications. E.g., I took herbs in Africa instead of the synthetic medicine malarone, which has become less and less effective against cerebral malaria.

Yeah, some people will believe that it is impossible to cure any infection without the magic pill. Antibiotics are a great concept, but being rendered more ineffective by the greed and stupidity of the pharm industry and corporate factory farms, raising animals in highly concentrated, confined and unnatural environment where they will drop dead without antibiotic laced feeds.

On another note, stocking up on a good supply of cipro isn't a bad idea.. It is a powerful antibiotic that I had to use when I was in Africa on my first trip. My second trip I took a regimen of herbs/supplements and didn't get hit with the dysentery or runs I got sickened with on my first trip.

If you really want the easiest way to get antibiotics, like cipro, go to a travel clinic and tell them you will be going to Africa or India for 4 months.. You can be sure the doctor will give you a very large prescription of cipro that will last you quite some time. When I went to Africa on my second trip, I took a lot of cipro with me, but thankfully never had to use it.

No, I won't give ABX for "anything". We (all) are not mindless pill pushers, anymore so than any other job. I don't push ABX on every patient and every person I do prescribe them to is done with thoughts of exactly what you said. Good medicine is finding the appropriate response to the situation at hand. I have given ABX to travelers preparing for long trips, but dont give huge bottles of anything. Taking medication without a basic knowledge is a great way to get yourself in more trouble. Knowledge like that doesnt all come from books, it is earned through years of PRACTICE and effort.

If medicine was so easy, fire the doctors, let medical assistants and administrators push the pills... oh wait that is what they are doing, my bad.

I had minor surgery last year and was pleased when the doctor doubled my pain meds prescription. I filled the prescription and ended up not needing any. But now my entire supply of SHTF pain meds are pills that are required to be taken RECTALLY! :s0001:

Antibiotics are a bad concept, they merely end up sidelining your natural immune system

Hydrogen peroxide, (you can buy food grade) oil of oregano, ginger root and sulfa materials and other items are easy to obtain and a far better concept. You can even grow ginger and hot oregano

I haven't been to a doctor since I was 17 except to get tested for a job. Unless I need to be cut, burned or poisoned I won't, either

Antibiotics are a bad concept, they merely end up sidelining your natural immune system

Hydrogen peroxide, (you can buy food grade) oil of oregano, ginger root and sulfa materials and other items are easy to obtain and a far better concept. You can even grow ginger and hot oregano

I haven't been to a doctor since I was 17 except to get tested for a job. Unless I need to be cut, burned or poisoned I won't, either

antibiotics are for use when your body cant fight off an infection and not to be taken to prevent infection. cleaning any wounds and removing any debris from them is you first choice then if infection sets in, you take antibiotics. the last thing you want to do is let and simple local infection turn into sepsis. also you are better off eating your ginger and oregano to have the nutrition to fight off the infection.

sulfa is an antibiotic. the reason its not still a main stream antibiotic is because in WWII too many soldiers had major allergic reactions and led to the knowledge that far too many people are allergic to it. the same reason cipro has been developed to be there when penicillin is the med a person cant take.

antibiotics are for use when your body cant fight off an infection and not to be taken to prevent infection. cleaning any wounds and removing any debris from them is you first choice then if infection sets in, you take antibiotics. the last thing you want to do is let and simple local infection turn into sepsis. also you are better off eating your ginger and oregano to have the nutrition to fight off the infection.

sulfa is an antibiotic. the reason its not still a main stream antibiotic is because in WWII too many soldiers had major allergic reactions and led to the knowledge that far too many people are allergic to it. the same reason cipro has been developed to be there when penicillin is the med a person cant take.

Funny how I have lived to 52 and haven't taken antibiotics since I was 17

We have created superbugs with these pharmas, it's a constant rising scale that one day will go out of control

BTW I'm deathly allergic to penicillin type drugs and some molds, it's my only health issue. Almost killed me twice as a child before they figured it out

by all means its perfectly normal for a person to not need these meds but the point of having them in a kit is just a bit of insurance. in all cases its best to keep you health in good condition and clean any open cuts with a suitable disinfectant. if you were to take antibiotics on your own it would be the case when you start getting a fever and the wound shows high signs on infection.

I had minor surgery last year and was pleased when the doctor doubled my pain meds prescription. I filled the prescription and ended up not needing any. But now my entire supply of SHTF pain meds are pills that are required to be taken RECTALLY! :s0001:
Well if anyone complains about the pain, you can just tell em to stick in their arse!

My sciatic pain did not go away after my discectomy like my surgeon said it would. My recovery was taking longer than was predicted. When I went back to him for the continued pain, his solution was to prescribe a different more powerful pain killer. Oxycontin I think is what its called. And the dosage was two pills, I forget the mg of them, every 6 hours. I was skeptical as I recall the dosage was a great deal higher than the previous one. So I just took a single pill. It scared me to death, I thought I was going to stop breathing I became so out of it. When that pill wore off I decided I wasn't taking any more of the muscle relaxants or sleep aids or pain killers that the doctor told me to take. I had developed just a gross feeling and wasn't getting better. Once I quit taking that junk I healed much faster.
Thats why I have so many. One was enough to let me know I never wanted to take another.
They are getting tossed asap.

just so you know, electing to stop taking the pain meds is fine but muscle relaxants help the muscles around and injured/surgery location and improve you ability to heal. you probably should talk to your Dr before you choose not to take those.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top