JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Along the same lines, the ruling class in the US subscribe to the Weberian notion that violence is the sole domain of the state, therefore one can infer that they also believe private (i.e. non-state) ownership of firearms (the most effective tools of violence) to be illicit and illegal. Hence the "sporting purpose" clause in GCA68 (which was copied directly from Nazi legislation, but I digress).

DC vs Heller failed to address "sporting purpose" which is why the OP's treaty is still a direct threat to 2A absolutists. The US government still has unilateral power to simply define guns out of the legal market (e.g. handguns have no sporting purpose), so with a cooperating US legislature that treaty can pass and not violate US "law".

The sporting purpose clause is the foot in the door to all gun control efforts, as long as it exists 2A is in grave danger.

I would like to take a dictionary from the 1700's and beat it over the heads of any legislator that pushes this "sporting" purpose. The 2nd amendment specifies ARMS, not hunting or trapping tools. I just wish that it was written as "The right of the individual to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon".

Along the same lines, the ruling class in the US subscribe to the Weberian notion that violence is the sole domain of the state, therefore one can infer that they also believe private (i.e. non-state) ownership of firearms (the most effective tools of violence) to be illicit and illegal. Hence the "sporting purpose" clause in GCA68 (which was copied directly from Nazi legislation, but I digress).

DC vs Heller failed to address "sporting purpose" which is why the OP's treaty is still a direct threat to 2A absolutists. The US government still has unilateral power to simply define guns out of the legal market (e.g. handguns have no sporting purpose), so with a cooperating US legislature that treaty can pass and not violate US "law".

The sporting purpose clause is the foot in the door to all gun control efforts, as long as it exists 2A is in grave danger.

Isn't using sporting purposes clauses how many European countries implemented their current laws?

I can do without those types of restrictions.

Isn't using sporting purposes clauses how many European countries implemented their current laws?

I can do without those types of restrictions.

AFAIK most states use a sporting clause to justify various degrees of gun control. Some countries don't even bother and directly declare that violence is the sole domain of the state and therefore guns are banned from private hands, for example, China or Singapore.

the constitution was written so long ago and can be interpreted in so many ways. my guns wont be taken away, and obama wont do bubblegum about guns in the next year and some change that he has

the constitution was written so long ago and can be interpreted in so many ways. my guns wont be taken away, and obama wont do bubblegum about guns in the next year and some change that he has

Maybe not in the next year, but the chance of him getting re-elected are very good. I know that all the right leaning media is saying that he's toast, one term and done, but when I look how lousy the economy is and yet his approval rating is somewhere in the 43 to 46 percent, that indicates to me that he does not have a very high hill to climb.
One would think that with the way things are, and the fact that during his first 3 years he concentrated on everything but the economy, his support would be limited to the hard core left.... no let me scratch that. To the brain dead, because the hard left should have turned on him over all the corporate bailouts.
Yet there he sits, with an approval in the 40s, and once again he still has the mainstream media behind him like they were during the last election.
I would give him 75% chance of getting another 4 years.

I would give him 75% chance of getting another 4 years.

If he is re-elected, one thing that's important to understand is that he no longer has to consider getting re-elected again, therefore you'll see him unfettered by the constraints of keeping anyone happy, regardless of which end of a gun they'd rather everyone else be on.

I would like to take a dictionary from the 1700's and beat it over the heads of any legislator that pushes this "sporting" purpose. The 2nd amendment specifies ARMS, not hunting or trapping tools. I just wish that it was written as "The right of the individual to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon".

Another example of the modern day corruption of the Constitution is the meaning of the word "regulate".

US vs. Miller declared NFA34 to be constitutional because of the powers granted by the interstate commerce clause, but in the late 1700's, regulate meant keep regular, or keep flowing and uninterrupted, as opposed to the modern day definition of control via rules and regulations.

The modern day reading essentially grants CONgress unlimited economic powers, something the Founding Fathers would never have allowed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top